• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip to west coast planned

yelostn78

Have GS will Travel
Hey all been awhile since I had a trip planned, so here is another.
If you have ever taken history courses at a college, there are survey courses, and in depth specialty courses- I like my trips to be more of the survey type- keep moving, on the bike that is.

The bikes are a 2000 R1150GS and a 2006 F650GS
Saturday
Day 1 Gardner KS to Las Animas CO
I-35 to HWY 50 at emporia to 150/56 to great bend, then 96 to 287 in colorado south to 50 w to Las Animas
Sunday
Day 2 Las Animas CO to Gunnison CO
US 50 W the entire route- stops in Pueblo to be tourist, 96 w to texas creek, then back on 50 to Gunnison
Monday
Day 3 Gunnison to Moab UT
50w to I70 to ut hwy 128 s to Moab, Spend balance of the day riding and walking around arches-
Tuesday
Day 4 Moab UT to Ely NV
I70 W to 50W to Ely.
Wednesday
Day 5 Ely NV to Carson City/lake Tahoe area
50W all the way-
Thursday
Day 6 Carson City area to Redding CA
thinking of maybe hwy 89 N to quincy CA, then taking 70 around to 99 then up to chico and visit ozzie's bmw, then 99 to 5 to redding
Friday
Day 7 Redding CA to PT Arena CA
299 to 101 to 1 stopping at the drive through redwood, ave of giants etc
Saturday
Day 8 pt arena to cupertino area
1 to unmarked road by lake sonoma then 128 down through napa
There is a train museum around this area I want to see, then back over across the golden gate and down to see my sister in cupertino.(works for apple)
Sunday
Day 9 alcatraz, and other SF area stuff.
Monday
Day 10 Cupertino to bakersfield maybe not
1 south to 46 e to san miguel(see the mission), then 99 to bakersfield
Tuesday
Day 11 Bakersfield to Kingman
58 to barstow(was stationed here once) then 40 to old 66 back to 40 then across to kingman.
Wednesday
Day 12 Kingman to Bluff UT
rt 66 as far as it goes, then 40 to 64n to grand canyon, then 64 to 89n to 160 to 163 through Monument valley to Bluff UT
Thursday
Day 13 Bluff UT to Las animas co
reservation roads over to cortez, then 160 e to 10 e to la junta, then 50 to las animas
Friday
Day 14 Las animas to eskridge KS(folks place) not worried about last two days
Saturday
Day 15 home

Again I know we are really highlighting these areas, and I know I could spend weeks upon weeks in most of these areas, but. . . .
This is the rough schedule- subject to change with the wind when the trip actually starts.
So any good places to stay, eat, etc, thanks,

Nice trip.
The only day I can offer my 2 cents on is day 10. Cupertino to Bakersfield is a long day on the freeway. 99 and 5 just suck, even in a car. The San Miguel Mission is not much, I suggest continuing on 1 to San Luis Obispo and see the mission there. There is a small museum across the street as well as food and shopping to break the day up. Then continue south on 101 to just north of Santa Maria and go to Bakerspatch on 166. Pull off in Pismo Beach and take a picture of the bikes overlooking the sand. I wish I was going to be home, I'd show you around San Luis Obispo. Cupertino to SLO is going to be about 5 hours and SLO to Bakersfield close to 3.

The entire coast, some of 101 north of San Fransisco and CA1, are not fast roads. You may find yourself running behind schedule.

Yep, sounds like a nice ride. When in Gunnison, do breakfast at The W cafe if it is still there. Used to do that in school back in the 70's and then at Paonia Rallies since. For sure see The Black Canyon of The Gunnison.

Redding to Pt Arena with stops is a good haul as well because of our Oh, So Twisty roads here in Mendocino, County. Stop in and say Hi at our Inn on Albion St (Sea Gull Inn), or stay with us if it fits. Depending on the month, temperatures in Redding in the summer can be well over 100 while we will be about upper 50's to low 60's at the same time. So be sure to have lots of layers accessible for all the changes you will hit.

Jim

Hi yelostn 78, you really didnt give any indication of when you were going on this trip but it is supposed to snow in Ely starting Thursday and it is over cast now, be care full of any trips Ely west on 50 this time of year, the weather can be very unpredictable,. If you are going to stay in Ely the Hotel Nevada is good, and is very resonaably priced. There is lodging usually available in Eureka, Austin and of course Fallon but it is 120 miles between Austin and Fallon, a very long way in Blowing snow.... Keep us posted and enjoy the trip..................Mike

You are correct, last two weeks of May. THnkas for the info on San Miguel and SLO. I will make that alteration, I have heard that from two other sources,
Where is the hotel? If we have an overnight we will definately check it out.
I figured that we would be very flexible because of travel times from place to place in CA. If it got bad, or we found a place we just could not leave we would alter the trip.
My Sister lives int he Cupertino/san jose area, and I have friends at the San simeon hearst area that overlook the water(that's what they tell me) More friends just to the north of CA in klamath something oregon, Plus, I have tons of co-workers that are scattered throughout so I am not super concerned with lodging. But I do want to get around.

Oh... Did somebody say twisties?:clap

I don't do them to fast, but I like to make each one a practice in execution, which seems to make me overall more quick.

Kind of like some of the roads in mexico through the mountainous areas.

Day 7 Redding CA to PT Arena CA
299 to 101 to 1 stopping at the drive through redwood, ave of giants etc
An alternate, but slower and recommended road to 299 would be 36. They're parallel, and 36 is epic.

Saturday
Day 8 pt arena to cupertino area
1 to unmarked road by lake sonoma then 128 down through napa
There is a train museum around this area I want to see, then back over across the golden gate and down to see my sister in cupertino.(works for apple)
Unmarked road? Do you mean This Road? It is a beautiful road on the east end and full of fantastic sweepers on the west. Beware of weekend squids and heavy LEO presence when it goes from "byway" to "hiway."

Sunday
Day 9 alcatraz, and other SF area stuff.
If you're going to take the Alcatraz tour, it wouldn't hurt to make reservations for the ferry ride.
Monday
Day 10 Cupertino to bakersfield maybe not
1 south to 46 e to san miguel(see the mission), then 99 to bakersfield
Can't really comment.
Tuesday
Day 11 Bakersfield to Kingman
58 to barstow(was stationed here once) then 40 to old 66
Or go a little out of your way and ride a better road; 178.

California is FULL of great roads. It would be a shame to miss some of them because the freeway is more direct.

yes that road, of course we will be on it on a saturday when LEO is hunting the most.
Thanks for the info.

What Boney said.

36 is worth it. If you approach from the eastern end, there's one of those twisty road signs with "next 140 miles" under it.

I wouldn't jump off of 1 at Skaggs, but would head further south. 1 is mile after mile of absolutely fantastic riding and it just gets better and better as you approach SF. It'll dump you out just north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Best Roads

As you can tell, there are MANY great alternatives in our neck of the woods. As you noted you would be traveling on weekends, keep in mind that there will be more cages out. So be judicious in your double yellow work, but you WILL need to exercise that option on most any of these roads.
Jim

What Boney said.

36 is worth it. If you approach from the eastern end, there's one of those twisty road signs with "next 140 miles" under it.

I wouldn't jump off of 1 at Skaggs, but would head further south. 1 is mile after mile of absolutely fantastic riding and it just gets better and better as you approach SF. It'll dump you out just north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

I agree with this. Highway 1 along the coast is beyond beautiful. I will also add that riding from Pt Arena to Cupertino via the Golden Gate Bridge is a long day, and you'll want to make many stops to take in the awesome vistas.
Of course there's lots of traffic in San Francisco and there's no way to avoid it, even with lane splitting. After crossing the GG Bridge, head for the Great Highway that passes along the west side of The City. (You have another opportunity to see The City.) That will take you to good options: more Hwy 1 or Skyline Drive that will pass the famous Alice's Restaurant.

Back