• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

KY Hwy 421

Looking at the map of Kentucky, Highway 421 looks like it would be a good road to ride thru from the north going to the rally. Is there anyone out there that has first hand knowledge of this road?

I was looking at that one too!
Nice squigly roads according to the map.

Can't wait! :brad

PIX - Hwy 421

That was the route that Chasman and I rode on the way to the October Board meeting in Johnson City. We hopped on 421 in Madison, Indiana and stayed on 421 through Kentucky and Virginia.

It was a nice ride, but NOT a fast ride. A lot of the little towns along the way are built right on top of Hwy 421. There were homes where the front door was less than 20 feet from the road. It was a nice, enjoyable ride but beware of children, dogs, and cars & pick-up trucks entering the roadway unexpectedly.

Here are some pictures.
421_1.JPG

421_2.JPG

421_3.JPG

421_4.JPG

421_5.JPG

421_6.JPG

Sue's Ride

Thanx Sue!! It looks like a good road on the map--and I am not concerned about time.

You took the exact route that I am planning. I do have one question. What did you do around Lexington? I am thinking I may divert and take 169 down to Richmond and pickup 21/421 there again. If you have any other good ideas, I am open to sugestions!!

Mike

In Lexington we got off 421 and onto I-75 for a little ways - got a couple of cheap hotel rooms there in Lexington. The next morning we rode south on I-75 a little ways to Richmond, where we continued on, back on 421, towards Johnson City.

Last edited:
us 421 is a real twisty road which is perfect for a bmw. From Madison south it will be a under 55 ride quite a bit of the way because of the towns and low speed traffic. Further east is 127 which is just about straight line south. Or check out 60 which runs thru Lexington.

The section between the two roads coming out of Damascus, VA is one of my favorite roads ever. I usally try to ride it several times a year.:D

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking at Sue's pictures has me wishing I could ride right now!! Looks like it is the right choice for me.

Mike

This may be a bit premature but, how about a caravan of Wisconsin (or there-abouts) riders treking to the rally?
I was thinking of leaving Thursday and riding to the Lexington area. Then, the Rally on Fr/Sa/Su.
What say ye?

Sorry Cheese, but right now I am planning on leaving on Tuesday. I need to get to Alabama before the ride to check on some friends and look for a job!! And I need to be at the rally to volunteer at registration with Marc and company Thursday or Friday.

I would think that there will be a fair amount of riders going from the upper midwest. Maybe start a thread looking for other riders. Especially if you have a good route planned out. There is a group that is planning a "Bourban Tour" on th e way down, but I believe they are leaving the Saturday before.

Are you going to the motorcycle show in Chicago next weekend? I know that a bunch of the forum riders will be there. If you go, stop by the BMWMOA booth-it is always interesting to meet some of the people you have been talking with in person.

Good Luck!! If nothing else look me up at the rally. I will be working registration, tenting in th equiet area, and riding a silver R1100RS with a wudo screen. Look for the Bucky flag outside my tent!!

Mike

This may be a bit premature but, how about a caravan of Wisconsin (or there-abouts) riders treking to the rally?
I was thinking of leaving Thursday and riding to the Lexington area. Then, the Rally on Fr/Sa/Su.
What say ye?

Brian and I are planning to spend a night or two in Memphis, and then head east towards the rally. Probably take the whole week off.

If you want suggestions of good places to eat/visit/get coffee around Lexington, Richmond or Berea in Kentucky, let me know. That is my old college stomping ground.:ear

Here are a couple of maps I found on a website and saved for future reference.

They're tailored towards twisty roads heading from south of Indianapolis down to the Deal's Gap area. Someone put a lot of thought into these and deserves a lot of credit for their effort! (Sorry I'm not aware who...)

Here are the image links:

DealsMapAcopy.jpg

DealsMapBcopy.jpg

It is a fantastic route!

As everyone indicated and Sues' pictures show, 421 is a great ride. Just watch out for the tri-axle coal trucks. They tend to take more than half the road in the twisties.

Brian and I are planning to spend a night or two in Memphis, and then head east towards the rally. Probably take the whole week off.

WooHooo!! Beale street, baby!! Some of the best blues outside the Delta.

Have fun!:drink :whistle

Mike

map option route

On the map shown another route from Brownstown is SR 250 over to SR 7 North of Madison. Alot nicer route with better scenery and more turns than SR39 to SR56
Ride time is 1 hour to Madison with more turns than the lined route shown. In fact the SR 250 route over to Patriot is a super ridge road ride. It makes a neat 100 mile round trip to Madison.

If you want suggestions of good places to eat/visit/get coffee around Lexington, Richmond or Berea in Kentucky, let me know. That is my old college stomping ground.:ear

Yes please, Mandy.
I am thinking Lexington will be the end of my first leg.

Map Updates

There are probably more, but these are two that I know of close to home.

After getting off I-65 in Franklin, the first two flashing lights are now stoplights.

Back