• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Failure of an Rotor Wire and the Importance of Strangers

Pretty flimsy excuse for missing the rally, I'd say.

Serioulsy, you'll tell this story your whole life. Adversity is what lets you know when things are going good.

John

Find the local Airheads group and join! Learn how to work on that puppy yourself so you can at least find out what's wrong instead of twiddling your thumb in line waiting to buy pop ;-)

Just curious..how long have you had the bike and did you do any kind of maintanence before you took off...I'm guessing for your first long distance ride?

Interesting story...learn from it.

BTW,,did you pass the dif e test?

Find the local Airheads group and join! Learn how to work on that puppy yourself so you can at least find out what's wrong instead of twiddling your thumb in line waiting to buy pop ;-)

Just curious..how long have you had the bike and did you do any kind of maintanence before you took off...I'm guessing for your first long distance ride?

Interesting story...learn from it.

BTW,,did you pass the dif e test?

I'm in the Airheads.. don't know if there's a local chapter or whatever. I do work on the bike myself, most of the time. I've been afraid of electrical problems, and couldn't find too much solid help via forums. So, I rode with the charging problem for months after this. I'd just plug it in every night and charge it up. It was only dangerous once or twice when my headlight got really dim at night. But, MOA forum member 'woodnsteel' came over a month or two back to help me diagnose and solve the problem. That's how we discovered it was the wire in the rotor.

I've had the R75 for 4 years now, and do consistent maintenance on it. This was not the first long distance ride (although it has been the longest ride so far (I put 735 miles on it in this trip), but I guess I learned to always bring a few spare parts with me. I suppose some could say that my 3+ previous trouble-free years led me to have a little too much faith in my bike.

I passed the test, but don't remember the score. I passed that class, and am already 2 semester beyond it. I've decided to get a math minor in addition to my major and other minor. In terms of math, I am currently in Linear Algebra and Engineering Statistics. 1 more class and I'll be done with the minor requirements.

And on top of "building character" when you get as old as some of us...this will be a very funny story with lot's more embellisment... sometimes kharma sucks!

Sorry you missed the Rally...you would have loved the major T-storm night with all the tent and bike blowdowns! But that's another story!:banghead

Back