• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is it ok to fantasize?

the Wizard of Oz
We've got snowballs up to the ass of a nine-foot gym teacher, it's been twenty below for two days, it's snowing again, and I have to replace my driveshaft.

Looks like I'll have February and a week or so of March "off." But then booked through the rest of riding season with only the weekly day-off and no "vacation" time.

I'm day-dreaming that I could get U-haul to put a hitch on my Toyota Echo or the Accord, rent a trailer, put my bike on it, drive south for ten or twelve hours, park at a motel, and RIDE for a couple days. Or maybe trailer to somewhere down near Daytona, ride in, and gawk at the Harley people. Tho' as soon as I typed it, I thought "why not just ride instead?" But whatever.

What's wrong with this plan? Is it the Echo? Ice storms in North Georgia? Any other snow-bound members need to come along, smoke cigars, eat mediocre food, and watch cable tv at night? Anybody got an new and improved fantasy?:idea should there be more barley therapy involved?

Last edited:
Gene:

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

The Accord should be able to handle a lightweight trailer and your bike, easy, but I would avoid a car/truck trailer combination, in case you get into cross winds on ice; no fun at all.

I would check around for a good deal on an AWD rental van with unlimited mileage, to haul it down. Some of the minivans, such as the old Ford Aerostar, are big enough to take bikes. I've been told by a number of people who do this, that it's cheaper than driving their own vehicles. And with your loaded RS in the back, you'll have 550 extra pounds for improved traction, and better balance.

FWIW, if it was me, I'd drive as far south as I could, before unloading the bike.

It was -20 here in MN yesterday and below zero for the past week or more, so I can relate. Riding IS the best therapy, so I say go for it! Having a hitch installed is a good investment- you could trailer somewhere in the coming winters, too. We are still tossing around the idea of trailering to AZ.
-Penny

Hey all; Boy we must live in the "temperate" zone on this side of the lake, it barely made it to zero over here. Of course it's been snowing for going on thirty hours!! I have given a lot of thought to getting a hitch installed in our Jetta wagon, and looking for a lightweight trailer to haul rhe R-90 on, but haven't made the move yet. I don't know where I'd haul it to right now, seem's like everyone is getting hammered with some kind of rotten weather!! Guess I'll just hunker down and keep working on the bike and try to keep my drive way cleared. Just think, spring is only TWO months away!!! (Of course the snow may last until June or so...) Vaya con Dios, Dutch

wishin' and hopin'

except for the saturday after xmas, when it poured rain and I thought my basement would flood again, we've had snow on the ground since Tx'giving. Good criminy! By the end of February, early March, it's gotta get a little better somewhere doesn't it? On 'average' or whatever's the correct meteorological/statistical term, how far south would one have to go that time of year to get genuine, real, no electrics, no kidding, riding weather? Would Tennessee likely do it? GA? Or would you have to go all the way to The Gulf States?

If I had my druthers, I'd only have to drive about a day and a half, find a motel, unload my scoot and ....well, ride till dark, sleep, and ride till dark, repeat and turn around.

From Chicago, about 6-700 mi to say, Deal's Gap; twice as far to FLA. Does my fantasy have any reality? ...or is it just going to be that whole Valerie Bertinelli/ Sharon Stone/ Julia Roberts/ K12S disappointment again?:violin

fantasy trip

You could just pick some cities on your route and then pull up historical meteorogical data for them, to figure out your odds.

My brother did a winter trip to Mexico a few years ago, starting in Abbotsford, B.C. (near Vancouver). He trucked his old Gold Wing to Oregon, and left it with a friend who lives near the coast, then rode the rest of the way, much of it in torrential rain.

Last edited:
Back