Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sidestand Safety Switch

Sidestand Safety Switch

I know the side stand switch is a safety item but I hate it. I like to start my 2000 R1100RT in my open garage ride out to the drive put down the side stand and let it warm up while I put on helmet and prep for a ride.

With the safety switch I have to start up, ride out, shut off, place on center stand, pull up the side stand, start up again then get ready to go then work to get it off the center stand. I know it may sound a little petty but I hate that entire extra I have to go through just because of the safety switch.

Do any of you disable the side stand switch? Or should I just shut up and go through the process and learn to live with it? Thanks RT
    R and R

BMWRich58
    Hmmmm...I thought you could start it on the side stand,but when put in gear it would stop....?
    Been so long since I've been around oilheads I completely forgot..!

Is your memory perfect

Mine is not. No crash though I have been scared years ago.

I like the Honda sidestand system. There is a rubber block on the end of the side stand that will kick the stand up (I have tested it) without any harm. It has been out for years, I would think the patent has expired. Best thing, it has exactly zero wires, connectors or switch contacts to fail.

Rod

If the sidestand switch bothers you, remove it. It's your bike.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

I believe on the RT-P versions, you start the bike and let it warm up while on the sidestand. If you put the bike in gear with sidestand down, it will kill the engine. If the sidestand is down on the regular RT, you cannot start the bike. I know the former is true since I have a 1150RT-P but exactly sure about the latter.

You might want to look into swapping sidestands with a police version that will let you start the bike with the sidestand down. Also, the police version sidestand locks, meaning the bike will not roll forward off the stand accidentally.
    Last edited by adooley; 01-17-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: adding info
    Go with a smile!
    2002 R1150RTP - current
    1986 Honda Magna 700 - gone
    1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 - gone

If you would like to disable your sidestand safety switch, here's what I did.

1. put your bike on the centerstand.

2. remove bolt that holds the sidestand on.

3. remove the ceramic looking cover that fits between stand and bolt. mine just about fell apart.

4. replace sidestand and bolt, and your done.

Ride safe... Kenny G.

Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWRich58 View Post
    Hmmmm...I thought you could start it on the side stand,but when put in gear it would stop....?
    Been so long since I've been around oilheads I completely forgot..!
    1150 = Yes

1100 = No (except R1100S)
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Can a 1150 switch be placed in a 1100? That would be to easy right?
    R and R

We're not home yet.Yipee!

side-stand auto off

Looks like it depends on the model or year. My 1998 1200C starts with the stand down. If I put the bike in gear with the stand down, the engine automatically shuts off. I like this set-up much better. BMW might have decided to enhance this to include not being able to start the bike with the stand down. If so, my theory is that BMW doesn't want folks to be idling to warm up for very long.
    Papa Gian

Your right!!! BMW does not want you to idle your machine. They say start it and drive off, and let it warm up as you ride. This is very important on the Oilhead RT's. I have a 99 RT and if I let it sit and warm up, the heat from the exhaust Header will bubble the paint behind it. don't ask how I know this. When I'm tuning the bike, I place Aluminum foil behind the Header to deflect the heat.

On my 2000RT when my side stand is down I have nothing not even the gear indicator works. I would love to have the bike start in neutral and die if place in gear before the sidestand is up. As I guess the 1150s do.

Oh honey, guess what. We have to by another bike‘«™‘«™‘«™‘«™‘«™‘«™

Hopefully someone will know if I can upgrade the switch to an1150 type or something else that would work.

Looking at all the articles previous responders have suggested may be able to try one of those. But I have read enough horror stories after starting this thread to know that I don‘«÷t think I want to do away with the switch. I would be the guy who piled it up because he forgot to put up his stand. The guys at coffee already have enough to laugh about don‘«÷t need any extra help from me.
    R and R

I had the same gripe long ago with my R1100RS. I don't want to leave it idling on the side stand, but having to restart it every time you want to hop off quick and back on is a big PITA. I wired the relay into the circuit and have been much happier since. It keeps the saftey aspect of the sidestand switch with the convienience of being able to stop and have the engine keep running when in neutral.

As I said above, the wiring is quite simple and the relay is inexpensive.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I do not have a garage door opener and can appreciate what you guys are saying. That said, I go out every morning and while standing on the left side of the RT I rock it off the centerstand, push it out of the garage, place back on centerstand, start and let warm up while I close garage door and finish getting ready, then climb on, rock off stand and ride away. I would not do the start, stop, start routine every morning as it's too much abuse IMHO.
    Christopher Ross
    Lubbock, Texas
    IBA# 522
    2016 R1200RS, 2012 R1200GSA, 1975 R90/6 (x2)

A question from the clueless (me), is the right side of the engine getting proper lubrication when the bike is leaned over on the side stand idling?