Thread: 06 r12gs canbus question

Question 06 r12gs canbus question

2 Canbus question's on a 06r12gs

1) scenerio; 35 degrees, gerbing liner cranked up to max, connected directly to the battery. Grips on high. lots of short trips to work (3 miles, never over 35 mph) I know the alternator may not fully recharge the battery in that short time. (It was dead at a mcdonalds 1/2 mile from work one day). My question is would the ZFE know that the overall voltage is getting low and start to shut down the grips, to save voltage.

Different item
    2) when my low beam went out, it seems the zfe should have turned on my high beam but at a reduced capacity. then to full capacity when I flicked on the high beam switch.

Am I missing something, or is this normal
    max

Quote Originally Posted by maxscycle View Post
    2) when my low beam went out, it seems the zfe should have turned on my high beam but at a reduced capacity. then to full capacity when I flicked on the high beam switch.
    Halogen bulbs don't work that way. The amount of halogen is matched to the filament burn rate at the rated voltage. Adjusting the voltage up or down will increase the failure rate. Run the voltage too low and the bulb temperature won't be enough to run the halogen cycle.

Plus, if you could run at reduced light levels the reflector behind the bulb is aimed too high. You'd still be causing glare to oncoming vehicles, just not quite as much as it would at full power. Worse, you'd not be putting the reduced light where you need it.

If the low beam dies either switch bulbs (high and low use the same bulb) or flick the lever that will cause the beam to be aimed lower to get you home.

// marc

Running halogen bulbs at reduced voltage is how most automotive Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) operate. I haven't seen any reports of excessive bulb failures.

Have seen several GS's with their low beam burned out, so I dont think the bike will lite the high beam to make up for it. And I dont know the bike will turn off the grips etc if the battery is getting low, I think it only turns things off when it senses they are drawing too much power.