• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another Hill Country day ride Part 2

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

After humbling myself to the horse and it's cute rider, I continued on flinging mud for a few minutes. It hasn't rained in so long,I ass-umed incorrectly the softness of the riverbanks...mental note on that one for next opportunity. Never had the issues with different tires and less of a fuel load...that's my story!

Another one lane crossing on Zoeller Lane and views left & right. This is shaded and equally awesome in the summer...also more inviting as the temps rise

445701265_4MXCC-M.jpg

445701690_gQxZZ-M.jpg

445701271_oYwag-M.jpg

The road veers away from the river after this crossing and the terrain flattens into pastures for a bit

445701028_Cf4pa-M.jpg

445700698_p4Roh-M.jpg

Finally back to state highway headed into Sisterdale. RR 473 is a great ride, lots of elevation changes and banked sweeping corners. Hate that I have to ride it so much since it is so close to my house.
445701716_spw8Z-M.jpg

Sisterdale is another old six building town...an old schoolhouse/church, what appears to be the old community dancehall, an old 6 room hotel and a working store/saloon that is a popular stop for cruisers on the weekend

445690495_aDgkg-M.jpg

445691615_kAfzY-M.jpg

445690494_jFizS-M.jpg

445690999_vwFBE-M.jpg

445691426_fgrtZ-M.jpg

445690976_88CBt-M.jpg

445691000_XwdzL-M.jpg

Headed towards US 281 on 473

445693999_MhRXy-M.jpg

445694239_ZAcFo-M.jpg

445692623_jDNMx-M.jpg

Took a few county roads off of 473 before I would have intersected US281. In Kendalia, Old Blanco Road basically parallels 281 on the west side. It's a one lane road,but, can accomodate two folks passing in most places. It runs from Kendalia to Blanco. It Y's with Crabapple Road which cuts up to RR 1376 west of Blanco. Either road is winding and has decent elevation changes and views. I took Crabapple and after taking right onto 1376, took another right on River Run.This goes along the Blanco River west of the State Park and is dammed for the park and the city's water use.Most of the river is dry still from the drought, but still nice along this stretch.It ends in front of the park entrance on US 281

445693109_uVRTD-M.jpg

Rest of 5 mile ride home was the usual run up US281. Temps on this ride were in the high 60's and as you can see, nothing but blue skies. We have been very mild for winter up to now. An Arctic chill is supposed to bring us into the 20's near the weekend...but no doubt back to the 60's by mid week!

After seeing these, my next Hill country run may not wait until Spring. :) I love the shots of those old German-engineered stone buildings -- the area's settlers really knew how to build something that lasts. :thumb

Nice pictures Steve. I hope to come down that way one of these days and have you show me around.:dance

Sure thing...either Chuck or myself can get you real lost and turned around! He tries to show me roads I haven't found yet...getting harder but he still manages.

After seeing these, my next Hill country run may not wait until Spring. :) I love the shots of those old German-engineered stone buildings -- the area's settlers really knew how to build something that lasts. :thumb

We find these old German structures in the most pristine shape for their ages...found a few more yesterday on a ride. From the houses to the out buildings and water towers, how they managed with few supplies is pretty cool.

We are leaving Big Bend for the Hill Country tomorrow am for a couple weeks. Took some notes, thank you... For some reason we have never been there!

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Steve,

Great shots!

The hill country looks strangely familiar...

IÔÇÖve never been there before.......

The mystery continues!

Dale

A few more pics

I mentioned Crabapple Road and Old Blanco Road in part 2 of the ride...It's a county road ,well maintained and usually light of traffic...used to bicycle out this way on events out of Austin. I remember it being hilly enough to raise the heart rate...now it does with a throttle twist in places. It's not mountains,but it's not flat either , the elevation averages around 1100', but it's a way to stay off the major highways(US 281/US 290) and enjoy the scenery... It's one of many shortcuts we use that link Austin,San Antonio ,Boerne & Comfort among other towns,and the gateway to the better riding of the Hill Country. And it's in my backyard now! Whitetail deer, turkeys and armadillos among others cross the road at times...we stay off at dusk and wait a bit after dawn to play out here. I have nailed a few squirrels...I need stickers!

I will take the shortcut route here and link to Smugmug...I have captioned most of the pics

I know a lot of folks can't ride and this isn't meant to rub the road salt in...for those who think TX is too hot...June July & August are not the only months to visit!
It was 72 when I finished today...unbelievable year.I had to go pick up the 1100's alternator in SanAntone and took my time getting home.

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/7156720_wkVVW/1/459252576_5XYwc

This is FM 473...
It takes you from US 281 south of Blanco to Comfort and IH-10.

http://henzilla.smugmug.com/gallery/7157184_3hb8w/1/459288728_ovX4r

A side road , 474, breaks to south and into Boerne on IH-10...some very nice twisties along here on a 15-20 mile stretch...managed to do both roads today...474 is a no misser as Boerne is a cool stop for a break...It's on I-10 west of San Antone. Just be careful entering city limits...the sportbike guys have piqued interest by the city LEO's.

Steve,

Great shots!

The hill country looks strangely familiar...

IÔÇÖve never been there before.......

The mystery continues!

Dale

A little break from your freeze and the polytiks! I see crossroads, brother!

Hi Steve,

See you on Thursday. Your Hill Country ride Report inspired me to get out of the cold for a bit.

I am having a good time riding the Hill Country. I will be doing the three Sisters area today and tomorrow.

It is a one hundred temperature swing in a weeks time, Wisconsin's minus 15 and Texas plus 85 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today's high is only to be in the sixties, and overcast. This area has not had any rain for a year and things are very dry. I told the locals that if I stick around it is sure to rain.

Jim​

3PM and still foggy/drizzly here...hoping this clears for the rest of your ride, even though we can use the rain. Seems Dallas is in for an ice event today or tonight but not suppose to get any further south.

Nice ride report and pics, Steve. My son lives in Austin and rides an R12RT (so do I). We've had a number of very nice rides on those lovely, twisty county roads. I hope to get back to Austin this fall and ride there some more.

BTW, I like your Reddy Kilowatt avatar.

Back