Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Coming soon...
    Yeah, right ... we'll see.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

I just post them, don't always believe everything in what I post.

F1 News

telegraph.co.uk: Formula One WAGS

autosport.com: FIZ to vote on revised points system

f1-live.com: BMW seeks rule changes

paddocktalk.com: Mercedes engine much better than the Honda one?

bbc.co.uk: F1 tech races into ordinary life

Next Race

Grand Prix of Australia
    Round 01, 29 March, 2009, Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia.
    Lap Distance: 5.303km/3.295 miles Race: 58 laps - 307.574km/191.110 miles

Formula 1 Team News

Links to the official team sites and team specific stories

BMW Sauber F1

Interview with BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen
    BMW Sauber have covered 9,445 kilometres in testing with the F1.09 in Valencia, Sakhir, Jerez and Barcelona in preparation for the team's fourth season of Formula One racing. Working out the relative performance levels of the teams has probably never been trickier, since basic rule changes have produced fundamentally different cars. BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen looks ahead to the '09 campaign‘«™

Q: Is the BMW Sauber F1 Team well prepared for the new season?
    Mario Theissen: Yes, things are looking good after all the testing. The drivers and the engineers have given positive feedback. We are heading in the right direction with the BMW Sauber F1.09.

Q: What have been the biggest technical challenges?
    MT: The engineers have had to adjust to fundamental changes in four different areas. There are new developments to be considered in terms of aerodynamics, tyres and KERS technology. Plus, the engines have to cover twice the mileage this year compared to 2008. Never before in Formula One have they had to last so long. The changes to the cars' aerodynamics are so fundamental that the engineers really did have to start again with a blank sheet. The introduction of KERS brake energy regeneration technology into Formula One also represented new territory. This has been a huge challenge, one which we have taken on with great drive and determination. When I look back at how far we have come in such a short space of time, it really is very impressive. Here, Formula One has taken on the role of technology accelerator for series production cars of the future.

Q: Will you be using the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) in Melbourne?
    MT: We've got our KERS to the stage where it is race-ready, which means we can use it in Melbourne. Now it's just a matter of weighing up the pros and cons. On the positive side, the drivers would have an extra 82 hp at their disposal for 6.6 seconds per lap. However, the system adds weight to the car and this has an impact on the car's weight distribution and tyre wear. We will make a decision on a driver-by-driver, circuit-by-circuit basis.

Q: Does KERS place heavier drivers at a disadvantage?
    MT: The minimum weight of 605 kilograms stipulated for the cars in the regulations includes the driver. The difference between the actual weight and minimum weight is levelled out by positioning ballast around the car to optimum effect. Traditionally, this means that a heavier driver has been at a disadvantage, as he has had less ballast to balance out the car. Using the KERS will further reduce - by the weight of the system - the amount of ballast available. In order to prevent Formula One from becoming a jockeys competition, we are pushing for an increase of the minimum weight in the future.

Q: What kinds of cost-saving measures have the BMW Sauber team taken?
    MT: We have supported cost-saving measures for a number of years and have always pursued a policy of moderation. From its formation, the BMW Sauber F1 Team has focused on efficiency and reduced its expenditure each year. Today, BMW is spending 40 percent less on its involvement in Formula One than in 2005. Back then we were an engine supplier, but now have our own team, of course. Significant savings have been achieved through increases in the mileage required of each engine. When BMW returned to Formula One in 2000, we were using one engine for free practice, replacing it for qualifying and then fitting another new one for the race. This outlay has since been gradually reigned in and today each driver has to make do with eight engines for the full duration of the season. The heavily reduced testing schedule has brought further substantial budget savings. Testing on race circuits is banned outside of race weekends until 31st December 2009. The only exception will be tests for junior drivers with no GP experience after the season has finished. So we have put together a whole package of measures to reduce costs.

Q: How do you see the future of Formula One?
    MT: We have the opportunity - in the critical phase in which we now find ourselves - to exert a positive influence over the future of Formula One. And I am in no doubt that Formula One will emerge stronger from the current situation. Once the cost-cutting measures have taken full effect, I expect further independent teams to come into Formula One and be able to compete on a sound financial footing. Added to which, the technical regulations are now geared towards the F1 machines playing an important role in the development of series production cars. This allows Formula One to serve as a pioneer with regard to future technologies.

Q: Is the investment in the Formula One project justifiable for BMW in the current economic climate?
    MT: Most definitely. Alongside the savings I've already mentioned, which will be backed up by further economising in the future, we have started to enjoy success on the track. And so it's not only our marketing experts who are saying that Formula One is a valuable tool for BMW. F1 remains the core of our motor sport programme. Nowhere else will you find such charisma exuded on a global level on such a frequent basis. And nothing else offers a technical challenge so fruitful that it benefits the research activities of an entire company. From a cost-benefit point of view, Formula One is very positive for us.

Q: What is your aim for the season?
    MT: We are following a long-term timetable. In our first year we set out to finish regularly in the points, in year two we wanted to record podium finishes and in our third year we were aiming to notch up our first victory. We achieved all of these ambitious aims. In 2009 we are looking to take the next and most difficult step yet: we want to be fighting for the World Championship title. The F1.09 gives us a good platform to fulfil this aim; now we have to see what happens in the season's 17 races. What we know for certain is that you can plan your level of performance, but not your results.
    planet-e f1.com: BMW committed to Formula One
    - But the heartbeat of the company, I thought that was ‘«™-

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

Ferrari

Force India F1

ING Renault

formula1.com: Alonso and Renault end Brawn domination
    Related article from
    reuters.com: Motor racing-Alonso knocks Brawn off the top in testing

McLaren

20 ways Formula 1 is changing our world

independent.co.uk: Hamilton car to slow for new season

Red Bull Racing

Toro Rosso

Toyota F1

reuters.com: Toyota slashed F1 budget after Honda pullout

paddocktalk.com: Toyota preparing for layoffs?

USGPE.

I just post them, don't always believe everything in what I post.
    Well, there's one think we can always count on from USGPE: message consistency.

Just think, 13 days and 2-3 hours from now, we'll be huddled up watching the race!

F1 News

The blogs were full of discussion on the winner takes all changes.

bbc.co.uk: GP wins will decide title
    bbc.co.uk: The problem with winner takes all

reuters.com: Analysis – Motoracing – F1 winners and losers under new system

telegraph.co.uk: How much influence will race stewards have on F1 title race?

timesonline.co.uk: Bernie Ecclestone launches staunch defense of Formula One budget limits

The Independent.co.uk: 2009 F1 -
    Driver preview
    Teams
    Circuits

Next Race

Grand Prix of Australia

Formula 1 Team News

BMW Sauber F1

BMW F1 is the heart of the BMW Company according to Mario Theissen. Obviously he has not talked to anyone on the Airhead forum but that is another story.

If F1 is the heart of the company then the heart of the race car in F1 is the steering wheel. Here are comparisons between the hearts of Robert and Nicks rides.

#20 explains a bunch of things.

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

Ferrari

What does this mean for Ferrari?
    Jean Todt leaves Ferrari
    Former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt has resigned from the Ferrari board of directors and from the various positions he still held with the Italian firm. Todt was a key figure in Ferrari’s recent Formula One success, winning championships with Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen.

Announcing the news on Tuesday, Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo paid tribute to the contribution made by Frenchman Todt since he joined the company in 1993.

"Jean Todt has been one of the leading protagonists of the Ferrari story of the last 15 years," declared Montezemolo. "Skill and passion have always characterised his work and have won him my persona respect and affection, the one of the Company as a whole and of the Prancing Horse enthusiasts everywhere.

“I would like to wish him the very best for the future which I hope will prove extremely satisfying both personally and professionally. All of these years we've spent together - victories and tough times included - have forged a link between Jean Todt and Ferrari that will never be broken."

Force India F1

ING Renault

bbc.co.uk: Renault commit to KERS system

McLaren

Red Bull Racing

Toro Rosso

Toyota F1

USGPE.
    Just breathing hard

The pre-2009 point system was revised to give someone other than Michael Schumacher a chance at the title. This move appears to be going the wrong way. I'm a firm believer in the points system, and would even go so far as to return to the point for pole and the point for fastest lap. Basing the championship on wins alone is ... dumb.

When I marry Tamara Ecclestone, I intend to have a word with Ol' Dad about this.

Also, I'm sort of surprised that there are any differences between the controls for the two drivers. I would have thought they'd be exactly the same. Hmm...

F1 News

crash.net: Minardi could still be in F1 under ’09 outlook

formula1.com: Jerez day five – Williams and McLaren impress

The following series of stories are an unfold tale as the teams react to the rules changes. The date line is all the same the time stamp changes.
    Formula 1.com: The 2009 Season Preview – Part One – All Change Please

Maybe not –
    correredellosport.it: Formula 1, FOTA says no to the FIA

Reuters.com
    FIA prepared to defer Formula 1 changes
    Motor racing – FIA acted outside the rules on points change – teams

telegraph.co.uk: Formula One’s new scoring system deferred as FIA perform dramatic u-turn until 2010

FIA Press Releases
    FIA Formula One World Championship [response]

Next Race

FIA.com: Australian GP Preview
    BMW Sauber F1 Team - Australian GP – Preview
    03-20-2009 Press Release
    27th – 29th March 2009
    1st of 17 World Championship races

Preview.

Munich/Hinwil, 20th March 2009. It’s all change in Formula One as the new season gets underway amid great intrigue and excitement. A raft of rule changes mean the cars will be sporting a totally different look and be fitted with slick tyres. The F1 engines now have to last twice as long as before and those who want (or are able) to will put their faith in a Kinetic Energy Recovery System. The pre-season testing – which the new rules stipulate will be the last of the year – threw up more questions than it answered. Favourites were riddled with worries, despair turned to encouragement for others whose survival in the sport had been in doubt. Preparations may have gone smoothly for the BMW Sauber F1 Team, but putting a finger on its progress remains a tricky business. The crystal-ball gazing will come to an end, however, on Saturday 28th March 2009. At 17.00 hrs local time (07:00 hrs in Central Europe) qualifying will finally get underway for the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Robert Kubica:
    “I’m really looking forward to the Australian Grand Prix. I’m happy that the race season will finally get started and all the speculation of the pre-season testing will stop. It will be very interesting to see how competitive the teams really are.

“I like street circuits in general, so Albert Park is one of my favourite race tracks. You have to be very precise. That applies to the whole circuit; you need to stay on the clean line. But this year precision will be especially important for the first corner after the start, when we will have our very first fight for position with the bigger 2009 front wings. I’m pretty sure it will be an interesting race. In addition, Melbourne is a very nice city and the people create a truly special atmosphere for all of us in Formula One.”

Nick Heidfeld:
    “I’m looking forward immensely to the start of the season in Australia. This time around I’m particularly keen to see how the teams and drivers stack up against each other. It’s time for the speculation to stop; from now on it’s only facts that matter. A whole number of things have changed since last year and that means there are a lot of unanswered questions: What effect will the KERS and adjustable front wings have in the races? What will happen at the start when we are side-by-side with the larger front wings for the first time? Will overtaking really be easier, as our experiences in testing have led us to believe?

“Last year winter testing did not go as well as it might have done for us, and we surprised everybody with our strong performance in Australia. This winter all of our testing went pretty well, and I hope this impression is confirmed in Melbourne. We had to contend with some difficult weather conditions in testing, and I’m also curious to see what happens in Albert Park in this respect, as it can get very autumnal in my favourite travel destination in March.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
    “The start of a Formula One season with perhaps the most sweeping rule changes we’ve ever seen is now in sight. We are pleased that Australia is again the first GP of the year in 2009. There is always a very special atmosphere in Melbourne. The Australians certainly love their sport and they’ve been well and truly bitten by the Formula One bug.

“Last year Nick took second for us in the first race of the season, and we’re hoping that we get off to a good start in Albert Park once again this year. We are heading in the right direction with the BMW Sauber F1.09; both the drivers and the engineers came back with positive feedback during testing. Plus, Nick and Robert carried out full race simulations without suffering any technical problems.

“As far as KERS is concerned, our system will be race-ready in Melbourne. We sent the cars out regularly with KERS during testing and the results were very good. Now it’s just a matter of weighing up the pros and cons. On the positive side, the drivers would have an extra 82 hp at their disposal for 6.6 seconds per lap. However, the system adds weight to the car and this has an impact on the car’s weight distribution and tyre wear. We will make a decision on a driver-by-driver, circuit-by-circuit basis.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering:
    “There’s always a lot of anticipation ahead of the first race of the season, but this time it’s even more exciting than usual. Winter testing gave us some initial indications of where we stand in relation to our rivals, but there are still a lot of question marks. The reason for the uncertainty is the radical changes made to the technical regulations. Totally new aerodynamics with significantly lower downforce compared to last year, the introduction of KERS, the return of slicks and the double mileage requirement for the engines mean we’re starting from a totally different basis. Using the potential of the tyres to optimum effect will be particularly important.

“Melbourne is a stop-start kind of circuit, which places heavy loads on the brakes and, at the same time, demands good traction. Grip levels are very low, especially at the start of the weekend, but you cannot let that deflect you from getting the car set-up right.”

Drivers at events organised by the Australian Grand Prix Corporation:

Tuesday, 24th March:
    From 16.10 hrs Christian Klien will spend around 30 minutes at a welcome event in Federation Square, Melbourne. A BMW Sauber F1 Team car will be on display and its engine will be fired up to entertain the fans with its sound.

Wednesday, 25th March:
    From 17.50 to 18.20 hrs Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld will give interviews on a stage near the paddock in Albert Park.

Thursday, 26th March:
    From 12.00 to 12.25 hrs the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers will take part in an autograph-signing session in Albert Park.

History and background:

2009 will see Melbourne host its 14th Australian Grand Prix. The race was held in Adelaide from 1985 to 1995.

Melbourne has many faces and is extremely multicultural, its 21st-century profile shaped by immigrants and students from all over the world, as well as a fascinating architectural mix. The city also boasts lush green sports grounds and public parks. The Formula One circuit runs through Albert Park, in the St. Kilda district of Melbourne.

With a population of around 3.5 million, Melbourne is the capital of the State of Victoria, which was hit by devastating bush fires at the start of the year. The fires in the south of Australia claimed over 200 lives and many more were injured. Thousands of people were left homeless.

The city itself – Australia’s second-largest after Sydney – was not affected. Melbourne lies at the eastern end of the continent’s south coast, where the Yarra River empties into Port Phillip Bay. The city’s origins can be traced back to 1835 and it acquired its current name in 1837. Gold was discovered in Victoria in the 1850s and Melbourne went on to thrive as a railway interchange, industrial hub and port city. It even served as the seat of the federal government for a time. The city has a history of hosting major sporting events and was the venue for the summer Olympic Games of 1956.

Grand Prix of Australia

Formula 1 Team News – Check the team websites for updates from the final tests at Jerez

BMW Sauber F1

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

Ferrari

Force India F1

ING Renault

McLaren

Red Bull Racing

Toro Rosso

formula1.com: Interview – Sebastien Buemi

Toyota F1

USGPE.

Three press releases define the coverage of this to this point. The first is the ruling from the World Motor Sport Council, the judicial body within the FIM. The second is today‘«÷s response from FOTA and the last is the Formula One response to both.

Press Release
    World Motor Sport Council - Decisions
    17/03/2009

The World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on 17 March 2009. The following decisions were taken:

FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

A number of measures were agreed to help reduce costs and increase interest in the FIA Formula One World Championship.

2009 Formula One Regulations

The WMSC accepted the proposal from Formula One Management to award the drivers‘«÷ championship to the driver who has won the most races during the season. If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the current 10, 8, 6 etc. system.

The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system. There is no provision to award medals for first, second or third place. The Constructors‘«÷ Championship is unaffected.

The WMSC rejected the alternative proposal from the Formula One Teams‘«÷ Association to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively.

Testing

Teams will be allowed to carry out three one day young driver training tests between the end of the last event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year. Drivers are eligible only if they have not competed in more than two F1 World Championship Events in the preceding 24 months or tested a Formula One car on more than four days in the same 24 month period.

Teams can also conduct eight one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January 2009 and the end of the last Event of the 2009 Championship.

Media

The FIA will publish the weights of all cars after qualifying at each Event.

For greater clarity for spectators and media, wet tyres have been renamed ‘«£intermediate‘«ō and extreme-weather tyres renamed ‘«£wet‘«ō.

On the first day of practice all drivers must be available for autograph signing in their designated team space in the pit lane.

All drivers eliminated in qualifying must make themselves available for media interviews immediately after the end of each session.

Any driver retiring before the end of the race must make himself available for media interviews after his return to the paddock.

All drivers who finish the race outside the top three must make themselves available immediately after the end of the race for media interviews.

During the race every team must make at least one senior spokesperson available for interviews by officially accredited TV crews.

A number of further amendments were adopted for the 2009 Technical Regulations. Full details will be available shortly on www.fia.com.

2010 Formula One Regulations

Budgets

As an alternative to running under the existing rules, which are to remain stable until 2012, all teams will have the option to compete with cars built and operated within a stringent cost cap.

The cost cap is ?ķ30m (currently approximately ‘ťľ33 or $42m). This figure will cover all expenditure of any kind. Anything subsidised or supplied free will be deemed to have cost its full commercial value and rigorous auditing procedures will apply.

To enable these cars to compete with those from teams which are not subject to cost constraints, the cost-capped cars will be allowed greater technical freedom.

The principal technical freedoms allowed are as follows:

1. A more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body.
    2. Movable wings.
    3. An engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

The FIA has the right to adjust elements of these freedoms to ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules.

Click here for a Q&A document regarding the 2010 cost cap.

The Honda Racing F1 Team requested to change its name to the Brawn GP Formula One Team. The WMSC accepted this request on the basis that the team is, in effect, a new entry in the FIA Formula One World Championship. The contract the team had with the FIA was to run as ‘«ˇHonda‘«÷, which they are no longer in a position to do. However, the standard fee required for a new entry has been waived.

FOTA Statement
    Date:
    20 March, 2009
    Statement on 2009 drivers‘«÷ championship award
    20 March 2009

Following the decision of the World Motorsport Council of the 17 March 2009 to change the way the drivers‘«÷ championship is awarded, the Teams gathered and unanimously agreed to question the validity of this decision.
    FOTA had made a proposal that was carefully based on the results of a Global Audience Survey, which allowed listening to preferences of the public, and all the Teams firmly believe that these indications should be properly taken into account.
    The amendment to the sporting regulations proposed by the World Motorsport Council was not performed in accordance with the procedure provided for by Appendix 5 of the Sporting Regulations and, as per the provisions of the article 199 of the FIA International Sporting Code, it is too late for FIA to impose a change for the 2009 season that has not obtained the unanimous agreement of all the competitors properly entered into the 2009 Formula 1 Championship.
    Since the change to the scoring system unanimously agreed by the Teams and proposed to FIA did not receive approval of the WMSC, no change can occur in 2009, and the Teams wish to reaffirm their willingness to collaborate with the FIA in order to jointly define a new point system for the 2010 season within a comprehensive set of measures aimed at further stimulating the attractiveness of the F1 Sport.

FIA willing to defer new points system
    March 20, 2009
    Formula One racing‘«÷s governing body, the FIA, has said it is willing to postpone the planned introduction of a new points system until 2010 if the teams are unhappy with making the change for the 2009 season.

The new system, which would see the driver with the most wins (rather than points) crowned champion, was announced on Tuesday by the FIA‘«÷s World Motor Sport Council, after it rejected an alternative proposal for a revised points structure from the teams.

The teams have since expressed their belief that the rules could not be changed so soon prior to the start of the season without their unanimous agreement and on Friday the FIA offered to defer the plan.

The full statement from the FIA:
    ‘«£On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA‘«÷s proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers‘«÷ Championship. The ‘«ˇwinner takes all‘«÷ proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

‘«£If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010.‘«ō

The good thing is all of this goes to the background when racing begins.

Media

The FIA will publish the weights of all cars after qualifying at each Event.

For greater clarity for spectators and media, wet tyres have been renamed ‘«£intermediate‘«ō and extreme-weather tyres renamed ‘«£wet‘«ō.

On the first day of practice all drivers must be available for autograph signing in their designated team space in the pit lane.

All drivers eliminated in qualifying must make themselves available for media interviews immediately after the end of each session.

Any driver retiring before the end of the race must make himself available for media interviews after his return to the paddock.

All drivers who finish the race outside the top three must make themselves available immediately after the end of the race for media interviews.

During the race every team must make at least one senior spokesperson available for interviews by officially accredited TV crews.

I like these changes. Peter Windsor is going to be VERY busy during the races!

F1 News

f1-live.com: Ecclestone unlikely to save Hockenheim
    Related article
    f1-live.com: Chance of ‘«ˇone-off‘«÷ Rome GP revs up

autosport.com: Mosley ‘«Ű FOTA response [to budget caps] was ‘«ˇweal‘«÷

reuters.com: Diffuser row could overshadow F1 season-opener

telegraph.co.uk: Max Mosley comes out all guns blazing after a tumultuous year

pitpass.com: di Montezemolo hits out

F1 2009 Game (F1RL), rfactorcentral.com

Next Race

Grand Prix of Australia

Formula 1 Team News

BMW Sauber F1-f1[/url]: BMW undecided on KERS for Australia

crash.net: Percision the key for Kubica

[url=http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5080235,00.html]planet

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

Ferrari

Force India F1

f1network.net: Predictions contest returns

ING Renault

McLaren

Do yah really think so Bernie?
    telegraph.co.uk: Bernie Ecclestone senses Lewis Hamilton and McLaren sandbagging for F1 season opener

Red Bull Racing

Toro Rosso

Toyota F1

USGPE.

BMW F1 car catches fire after demo in Australia

Thanks for squaring me away, M1ka! By the way, this video DEMANDS that you turn your speakers up to 11!!!
    Last edited by PAGoldsby; 03-24-2009 at 06:35 PM.

F1 News

Thursday is PROTEST DAY!
    Red Bull Racing and at least one other team are expected to lodge formal complaints against Williams, Toyota and Brawn GP claiming their diffusers do not comply with the rules.

f1complet.com
    Mar.24 (GMM) Renault drivers Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet have agreed to reduce their salaries in reaction to the global recession.

bbc.co.uk: F1 set to cut supe-license fee

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...imo-Glock.html

Do we really want to know:?
    telegraph.co.uk: Sebastion Vettel gets close to his car

telegraph.co.uk: F1 divers licenses to be cheaper in 2010

bbc.co.uk
    BMW driver poised for a strong F1 season in 2009

formula1.com
    Toyota believe they are on the brink of achieving a maiden win; Toro Rosso have already done it; Red Bull's is arguably the most radical car on the grid; Williams' flywheel KERS could prove a secret weapon; a McLaren partnership should boost Force India; and Brawn GP's pace has already got the likes of Ferrari worried. Dramatic rule changes for the 2009 season mean midfield teams really could upset the order at the head of the grid. We consider their chances‘«™

formula1.com
    Ferrari, McLaren, BMW Sauber and Renault all won races in 2008 and at least three of them are confident of winning more in 2009. But they are also aware that this season has all the ingredients for serious surprises - major rule changes, no in-season testing, and some worryingly different interpretations of the technical regs by supposedly 'junior' rivals. So do the big guns head to Melbourne with the firepower to stay ahead of the chasing pack? We consider their chances‘«™

formula1.com
    Welcome to the opening race of the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne's Albert Park. There was some rain here earlier in the week, but the weather for race weekend looks fairly settled. There will be an ambient temperature high of 21 degrees Celsius on Thursday...

Next Race

Grand Prix of Australia

Formula 1 Team News

BMW Sauber F1-f1[/url]:

bbc.co.uk: Kubica in pole position for title tilt

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Bmwf1...3/DK8koEhLfWA/
    Who is the longest serving F1 driver without a grand prix win? Nick Heidfeld. Is it possible that quick Nick could win a grand prix this season? I think so. Nick Heidfeld has started 150 grand prix in his carreer that started with Prost Grand Prix and coming in as the reigning [...]

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

Ferrari

f1network.com
    Ferrari has stated its cars will be equipped with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System for this weekend's race in Melbourne, Australia. If the systems works as intended, the F60 should gain up to a half a second per lap advantage, according to Felipe Massa.

Force India F1

ING Renault

Toro Rosso

Toyota F1

USGPE.

Re: Brawn. The Honda car was always sort of fast, and with the proven-to-be-mighty Mercedes mill, it should continue to be so. The problem with the team in the past was reliability, stemming from a disconnect between the "design" and "race" engineers. If anyone can remedy that, it's Ross Brawn. However, there's been so much disarray in the team that I can't see them being a factor until after Monaco, at the earliest. I wish no team ill, but on the other hand, I've been watching and reading about F1 long enough to know that pre-season testing successes from underdog teams rarely play out on the track.

Frankly, I think that Ferrari's got the drop on the field.

F1 News

fia.com: Thursday driver press conference

bbc.co.uk: F! teams given Melbourne go ahead

formula1.com: Melbourne‘«÷s Albert Park - an F1 set-up guide

independent.co.uk: Sebastian Vettel ‘«Ű The new hot Schu

RUMORS paddoctalk.com: Three new teams for 2010

The 2009 F1 season has not held its first race and yet the driver‘«÷s silly season is off and running.
    telegraph.co.uk: Lewis Hamilton plays down talk of mover from McLaren ahead of Australian GP

Next Race

Grand Prix of Australia

Formula 1 Team News Team feeds will be busy this weekend

BMW Sauber F1-f1[/url]:

f1network.net: Theissen re-confrims KERS only for Heidfeld in Australia

autosport.com: Q&A with Nick Heidfeld

AT&T Williams

Brawn GP

reurters.com: Brawn GP drivers change numbers yet again

f1netork.net: Brawn GP car is ‘«ˇabsurdly superior‘«÷

Ferrari

Force India F1

ING Renault

McLaren

Red Bull Racing

Toro Rosso

Toyota F1

USGPE.

grandprix.com: Factory revealed!

formula1.com: Q&A with Red Bull‘«÷s Mark Webber

telegraph.co.uk: A lapp of Albert Park with Nico Rosberg

autosport.com: FOTA clarifies Ecclestone meeting row

f1complet.com: Brawn set to shed 275 jobs

Formula 1 ‘«Ű A-Z list of topics to prepare you for the new season.
    Formula 1: Rules and Regulations reference site