• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

mika

Still Wondering
It is time to start the 2009 Formula One thread with the launch of the Ferrari F60. This marks the beginning of the teams revealing their new cars for the 2009 season. Ferrari is first and Force India with a March launch will be last.

I will be posting information as I did last year and I hope other F1 fans will take part in the thread too.

453697070_jcP6j-L.jpg

453697101_GCcCX-L.jpg

453697126_Xk2LT-L.jpg

453697025_3s7Mc-L.jpg

Ferrari Press Release 12/01/09

The F60 is the fifty fifth single-seater built by Ferrari specifically to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship. The name of the car was chosen to celebrate the Scuderia's participation in all 60 editions of the Formula 1 World Championship since 1950 to date.

The project, which goes by the internal code name of 660, represents the Scuderia's interpretation of the regulations that come into force this year, which include very many new elements. As far as the aerodynamics are concerned, these modifications are the result of the work carried out by the OWG (Overtaking Working Group,) set up by the FIA in collaboration with the teams to produce a set of rules aimed at encouraging more overtaking on track: the front wing, which has a neutral central profile, common to all, is developed mainly on its side elements and is much wider than in the past: the bodywork can no longer carry the slotted apertures that had characterised the Ferrari cars over the past few years.

Other aerodynamic devices are also significantly reduced; the rear wing is higher and narrower than in the past; the diffuser has been moved rearward. The combination of changes naturally led the initial design phase down radically different routes when it came to the side pods and protection components: the apertures have been reduced in size and moved rearward, while the upper and rear elements are larger to aid the exit of air.

The new rules regarding aerodynamics have also led to modifications to the suspension, as these elements can no longer be enclosed to the same extent. The suspension system and the whole layout of the car have been redesigned in the light of the new rules in order to achieve the correct weight distribution.

The design also takes into account two other significant changes in the 2009 regulations: the possibility of using a kinetic energy recovery system (KERS) and the reintroduction of "slick" tyres. The KERS on the F60 was designed by Ferrari in collaboration with Magneti Marelli and is centrally mounted on the engine under the rear part of the chassis; its management has involved all departments of the Gestione Sportiva. The return to tyres with no grooves is another element which is down to the work of the OWG, as is the introduction of a flap on the front wing that can be adjusted by the driver when the car is moving.

The software for managing this tool, as well as for the KERS, was designed in Maranello. The transmission has been redesigned to optimise the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. The gearbox casing is again made in carbon and is still positioned longitudinally. The gearbox is fitted with a speed shifter. There is also a new braking system, with calipers designed by Brembo. Other important rule changes for this year stem from the work of FIA and FOTA (Formula One Teams Association) aimed at producing a significant reduction in the teams' operational costs.
As far as the engine is concerned, which retains its longitudinal mounting in the F60 and continues as a load bearing structure, the rules now state that a total of eight engines may be used over the 17 Grand Prix race weekends on the calendar.

Accordingly, the maximum permitted engine speed has been reduced to 18,000 rpm and the distance target for each unit is now around 2,500 kilometres. Furthermore, modifications have been made to the inlet trumpets, the position of the injectors and the configuration of the exhausts. The changes to the regulations mean that, on the reliability front, Shell has played a fundamental role in defining the lubricants for both the engine and gearbox.

As usual, the technical partners have played an important part right from the design and development stage of the entire car. Apart from the aforementioned Shell, a significant contribution has been made by the FIAT Research Centre, especially in the use of its simulation systems and by Brembo, in the development of the braking system. As usual, great attention has been paid to the management and optimisation of the materials used, at the design stage and through quality control, aimed at maximising performance while maintaining the highest possible levels of safety.

General specifications
Country of origin Italy
Numbers built N/A
Produced in 2009

Engine
Configuration 90?? V 8
Location Mid, longitudinally mounted
Weight 95 kilo / 209.4 lbs
Construction aluminum alloy block and head
Displacement 2.398 liter / 146.3 cu in
Bore / Stroke 98.0 mm (3.9 in) / 38.9 mm (1.5 in)
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Fuel Injection
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain
Chassis/body carbon fiber monocoque
Suspension (fr/r) double wishbones, push-rod actuated torsion bars
Brakes vented carbon ceramic discs, all-round
Gearbox Paddle Operated 7 speed Semi-Automatic
Drive Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight 605 kilo / 1333.8 lbs

Some more F60 Eye Candy. I am struck by how compact the car is everywhere but the tires and front wing.

Massa takes the F60 for a ride. Sorry the voice over is Italian

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAfhn6BaXHk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAfhn6BaXHk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

453856476_EK59x-XL.jpg

453856456_fCmRt-XL.jpg

453856496_BALfB-XL.jpg

453856544_8ebpx-XL.jpg

Toyota 2009 car launch

455848250_qKiHE-L.jpg

455848268_oaC6o-L.jpg

455848236_ZQLAP-L.jpg

455848220_5SG6C-L.jpg

455848285_uhgMc-L.jpg

455848306_mxcxv-L.jpg

Monocoque
Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction.

Fuel tank
ATL safety cell

Suspension
Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod.

Dampers
Penske

Wheels
BBS forged magnesium

Tyres
Bridgestone Potenza

Brakes
Toyota/Brembo callipers, Brembo master cylinders, Hitco material (carbon/carbon)

Steering
Toyota power-assisted steering. Toyota carbon fibre steering wheel with Toyota / Magneti Marelli instruments

Driver's seat
Carbon fibre

Restraints
Takata

HANS device
Hubbard-Downing

Electronics
Toyota, Magneti Marelli plus McLaren Electronic Systems ECU (as required by FIA rules)

Transmission
7-speed unit plus reverse

455848202_XiD4G-L.jpg

Overall length
4636 mm

Overall height
950mm

Overall width
1800mm

Overall weight
605kg inc driver and camera

RVX-09 Technical Specifications

455848396_um2Vr-L.jpg

Cylinders

Capacity
2,398cc

Horsepower
Approximately 740bhp

Revolutions
Maximum 18,000rpm (as required by FIA rules)

Valve actuation
Pneumatic

Throttle actuation
Hydraulic

Spark Plugs
DENSO

Fuel
Esso

Lubricants
Esso

Visit the Toyota Launch site at: http://www.tf109-premiere.com/home.html

Hey Mika,

Thanks for posting, I received my circular from the Ferrari Owners Group last week announcing the lauch. Wow, what a great change over the F2008. Can't wait for F1 to start.

Have you heard Ron Dennis is leaving McClunken

Having withdrawls,, after last seasons dissapointing loss to Hamilton, I sure hope Masa gets what he deserves.

Ferrari all the way,

Wade

2009 McLaren Launch

455865540_pLYic-L.jpg

455865529_XZGiV-L.jpg

While still retaining the distinctive family look established with both the MP4-22 and MP4-23, this yearÔÇÖs car is visually very different from its predecessors as a result of two main factors:

Aerodynamics
This yearÔÇÖs aerodynamic regulations were framed by the FIA and the Overtaking Working Group (helmed by Vodafone McLaren Mercedes engineering director Paddy Lowe, FerrariÔÇÖs Rory Byrne and RenaultÔÇÖs Pat Symonds) which met throughout 2007 in order to address the issues affecting passing in Formula 1.
The OWGÔÇÖs influence can be most clearly seen around the front wing, which has been widened, and the rear wing ÔÇô which is now more compact. Other factors affecting aerodynamics include the banning of ancillary appendages, the addition of driver-adjustable front-wing flaps and a heavily revised diffuser.

KERS
The MP4-24ÔÇÖs KERS device has been developed in collaboration with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, which has been developing and refining the system for almost two years. The device enables the car to recover energy under braking, store the energy for a lap and release it when the driver presses a button on the steering wheel.

With a fully optimised KERS deviceÔÇÖs output capped at 400kJ (discharging 80bhp boost for 6.7s per lap), the development teamÔÇÖs primary focus has already shifted to further improving the unitÔÇÖs integration within the chassis in order to minimise performance loss elsewhere within the package.

An optimised KERS package can be expected to deliver a 0.3-0.5s gain per lap.

Winter test programme
With in-season track testing now prohibited, the MP4-24 will undergo an intensive winter programme at the following venues prior to the season-opening

Australian Grand Prix on March 29:

Jan 19-22 Portimao Group test one

Feb 10-13 Jerez Group test two

Mar 1-4 Jerez Group test three

Mar 9-12 Barcelona Group test four

Week 12 Private test ahead of transportation to Melbourne

VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES MP4-24 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Chassis McLaren moulded carbon fibre/aluminium honeycomb composite incorporating front and side impact structures. Contains integral safety fuel cell

Front suspension Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement

Rear suspension Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement

Suspension dampers Koni

Electronics McLaren Electronic Systems control units incorporating electronics for chassis, engine and data acquisition. McLaren Electronic Systems also supplies the electronic dashboard, alternator voltage control, sensors, data analysis and telemetry systems

Bodywork One-piece engine cover and sidepod covers. Separate floor section, structural nose with integral front wing

Tyres Bridgestone Potenza

Radio Kenwood

Race wheels Enkei

Brake calipers Akebono

Brake master cylinders Akebono

Batteries GS Yuasa Corporation

Steering McLaren power-assisted

Instruments McLaren Electronic Systems

Engine

Type Mercedes-Benz FO 108W

Capacity 2.4 litres

Cylinders 8

Maximum rpm 18,000 (FIA regulatory limit for 2009)

Bank angle 90??

Piston bore maximum 98mm (FIA regulation)

Number of valves 32

Fuel Mobil High Performance Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)

Lubricants Mobil 1 ÔÇô for higher performance, lower friction and better wear resistance

Weight 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)

Transmission

Gearbox Seven forward and one reverse

Semi-auto Yes

Driveshafts McLaren

Clutch Hand-operated

THE DRIVERS

455865511_BCz9V-S.jpg

LEWIS HAMILTON - CAR NO 1
Personal
Born January 7 1985; place of birth Stevenage, UK; website www.lewishamilton.com

Formula 1
2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (world champion, 98pts, five wins); 2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (2nd, 109pts, four wins)

Career highlights
2006 GP2 (champion, five wins); 2005 F3 Euroseries (champion, 15 wins); 2004 F3 Euroseries (5th, one win); 2003 British Formula Renault (champion, 10 wins); 2002 British Formula Renault (3rd, three wins); 2000 Formula A (European champion, World Cup champion); 1999 Intercontinental A Italian champion (ICA); 1998 Junior ICA (Champions of the Future, 2nd); 1997 Junior Yamaha British champion; 1996 Cadets British champion; 1995 Cadets British champion

Has winning the world championship changed you?

ÔÇ£The whole experience has definitely made me feel more rounded. The whole experience of 2008 has helped me to grow as an individual ÔÇô and not just at the races; how IÔÇÖve dealt with my surroundings, my family and my life. I know I have a huge responsibility and I have to set a good example ÔÇô and it takes maturity to manage those things and so IÔÇÖm still learning and doing the best I can.ÔÇØ

How have you spent the winter?

ÔÇ£The winter months have been all about recharging my batteries. Last season was very tough both mentally and physically and the test and race schedule never gives you enough time to get back to peak fitness. Over the winter, IÔÇÖve taken a break from the car and really focused on my preparations for 2009 and getting myself back to the peak of physical fitness. In both respects, I feel really well prepared ahead of the winter test programme and the year ahead.ÔÇØ

What do you think of the new car?

ÔÇ£Well, obviously, I havenÔÇÖt driven it yet. But thereÔÇÖs an old saying in motor racing that says a beautiful car often turns out to be a quick car. And all I can say is that I hope thatÔÇÖs right, because I reckon the MP4-24 looks simply sensational. Really beautiful, in fact.ÔÇØ

What aspects of the 2009 season are you particularly looking forward to?

ÔÇ£The huge rule changes are really exciting for a driver. The winter months are already quite busy because youÔÇÖre very heavily involved in developing the new car, but this year it will be even more intense. And the whole experience will also feel quite fresh because so much is new. I hope the racing is as close and as exciting as has been predicted because thatÔÇÖs always more fun for a driver and fantastic for Formula 1ÔÇÖs fans.ÔÇØ

455865501_2Wn3J-S.jpg

HEIKKI KOVALAINEN - CAR NO 2

Personal
Born October 19 1981; place of birth Suomussalmi, Finland; website www.heikkikovalainen.net (fansite)
Formula 1
2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (7th, one win); 2007 Renault (7th, 30pts); 2006 Renault test driver

Career highlights

2005 GP2 (2nd, 105pts, five wins); 2004 World Series by Nissan (champion, 184pts, six wins), Race of Champions (winner); 2003 World Series by Nissan (2nd, 131pts, one win); 2002 British F3 (3rd, 256pts, five wins); 2001 British Formula Renault (4th, 243pts, two wins)

With a season at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes already under your belt, do you feel better prepared than you did a year ago?

ÔÇ£For sure. ItÔÇÖs easy to forget, but I only joined Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in December 2007 so my preparations for the ÔÇÖ08 season happened very quickly. Of course, I felt comfortable straight away but it still takes time to understand exactly how each member of the team is able to help you. For this year, I feel much more integrated into the whole operation and know we can really hit the ground running when we start testing next week.ÔÇØ

When did you start your preparations for 2009?

ÔÇ£After Brazil, I took a short break but was soon back at the McLaren Technology Centre preparing with my engineers for the new season. I tested a hybrid car before Christmas and it gave me a good idea of what to expect. I think the new breed of cars will suit me very well. IÔÇÖve also been training in the snow of northern Finland ÔÇô itÔÇÖs the best place in the world for me to relax and prepare for the year ahead.ÔÇØ

What are your targets for the season ahead?

ÔÇ£I feel much better prepared ahead of the new season. I think you can extract a lot of performance simply from good mental preparation, and I really want to look at the positives ahead of me this year rather than becoming too focused on any difficulties. Racing alongside Lewis is the ultimate benchmark and IÔÇÖd like to think weÔÇÖll both be challenging for the driversÔÇÖ championship and helping the team to win the constructorsÔÇÖ championship.ÔÇØ

455865483_Wrd7p-S.jpg

PEDRO DE LA ROSA
Personal
Born February 24 1971; place of birth Barcelona, Spain; website www.pedrodelarosa.com

Formula 1
2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2006 Team McLaren Mercedes (eight races, one podium, 11th, 19pts); 2005 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver (one race, fastest lap, 20th, 4pts); 2004-2003 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2002 Jaguar Racing (19th, 0pts); 2001 Jaguar Racing (16th, 3pts); 2000 Arrows (17th, 2pts); 1999 Arrows (17th, 1pt); 1998 Jordan test driver
Career highlights
1997 Japanese F3000 (champion, 82pts, six wins), Super GTs (champion, 67pts, two wins); 1995 Japanese F3 (champion, eight wins), Macau F3 (third); 1992 British Formula Renault (champion), European Formula Renault (champion); 1990 Spanish Formula Ford (champion); 1989 Spanish Formula FIAT (champion)

With greater restrictions on testing, will your role change significantly this year?

ÔÇ£Of course, the new regulations will significantly affect the way the team is able to test, effectively ending in-season track testing. But it is important to remember that the role of a test driver isnÔÇÖt solely confined to the test track ÔÇô I regularly visit the McLaren Technology Centre, meet with the engineers and try new developments on the simulator. None of that will change.ÔÇØ

Will you be less busy than in 2008?

ÔÇ£I will still be heavily involved with the winter test programme until the end of March. And you mustnÔÇÖt forget that I still retain my role as the teamÔÇÖs reserve driver, which means I will travel to every race and am ready to jump into the car in an instant if either Lewis or Heikki is unable to compete. That role will still take up an enormous amount of my time.ÔÇØ

How will you assist with the development of MP4-24?

ÔÇ£Away from the cockpit, the team will still rely on all the driversÔÇÖ feedback to develop the car. My role, as always, will be to use my experience to provide the engineers with consistent feedback. The absence of in-season testing simply means that the test drivers will be integrated even further into the simulation development team and will be an invaluable asset to the whole team.ÔÇØ

455865495_M3Ciu-S.jpg

GARY PAFFETT

Personal
Born March 24 1981; place of birth Bromley, UK; website www.garypaffett.com

Formula 1
2008-2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2006 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver
Career highlights
2008-2007 DTM with Mercedes-Benz; 2005 DTM (champion, 84pts, five wins); 2002 German F3 (champion, seven wins); 2001 German F3 (6th, one win); 2000 British F3 Scholarship class (champion, 13 class wins); 1999 Formula Vauxhall Junior (champion, 129pts, four wins), McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year

How will your role develop with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes during 2009?

ÔÇ£The regulations restricting in-season testing will have a knock-on effect on every test driver within the sport ÔÇô and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is no exception. My contribution to the team will be smaller than it has been in recent years ÔÇô but this gives me the opportunity to focus on my racing commitments with Mercedes-Benz in the DTM.ÔÇØ

What are your aims for the year ahead?

ÔÇ£Like any racing driver, I want to prove myself in a competitive environment. At the moment, I am very optimistic that I will be able to race at the front in the DTM with Mercedes-Benz but itÔÇÖs still important that I keep my options open in Formula 1. Given the present financial situation within the sport, who knows what could happen around the corner?ÔÇØ

Are you keen to remain part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team?

ÔÇ£Absolutely. Both McLaren and Mercedes-Benz have played instrumental roles in my career and have supported me for a very long time ÔÇô both organisations are like family to me. Even though I will be racing in DTM, I will be heavily involved in the engineering development programme throughout the year.ÔÇØ

Hey Mika,

Thanks for posting, I received my circular from the Ferrari Owners Group last week announcing the lauch. Wow, what a great change over the F2008. Can't wait for F1 to start.

Have you heard Ron Dennis is leaving McClunken

Having withdrawls,, after last seasons dissapointing loss to Hamilton, I sure hope Masa gets what he deserves.

Ferrari all the way,

Wade

:thumb

Yes I just came across the announcement on the BBC F1 feed.

Dennis has been under pressure to leave since the spy scandal, their have been recent law suits for harassment. I donÔÇÖt think there is a rift with Mercedes; however recently any reference to someone getting MB engines has not mentioned the name McLaren as in the past. Dennis will have some role in the organization formal or informal, I believe.

BMW Launch is Monday

Toyota Launch Videos

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEB1G0hq5QQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEB1G0hq5QQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mL-OE3HOGs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mL-OE3HOGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I find the mirror mounts on the Ferraris interesting. They are way further out from the drivers than either the McLaren or Toyota. I know mirror size is regulated, but is the placement not?

Not trying to push buttons, just interested.

I find the mirror mounts on the Ferraris interesting. They are way further out from the drivers than either the McLaren or Toyota. I know mirror size is regulated, but is the placement not?

Not trying to push buttons, just interested.

Looks to me like they are more incorporated in the aero package for the fuel pods, intakes on the Ferrari than on the others. Similarly, the endplates on the front wing of the Toyota are pretty interesting. I just love this stuff........can't wait for the season to start. Thanks, Mika, for continuing to post this.

I think they will pas the test for placement. What someone may raise as an issue is do the mounts act as a aerodynamic element that directs air toward the rear spoiler and increases or changes down force.

:dunno

Technical Rules

14.3 Rear view mirrors :

14.3.1 All cars must have at least two mirrors mounted so that the driver has visibility to the rear and both sides of
the car.

14.3.2 The reflective surface of each mirror must be at least 150mm wide, this being maintained over a height of
at least 50mm. Additionally, each corner may have a radius no greater than 10mm.

No part of the reflective surface may be less than 250 mm from the car center or more than 750mm from the rear of the cockpit entry template.

14.3.4 The FIA technical delegate must be satisfied by a practical demonstration that the driver, when seated normally, can clearly define following vehicles.

For this purpose, the driver shall be required to identify any letter or number, 150mm high and 100mm wide, placed anywhere on boards behind the car, the positions of which are detailed below :

Height : From 400mm to 1000mm from the ground.
Width : 4000mm either side of the centre line of the car.
Position : 10m behind the rear axle line of the car.

The mirrors were placed that far out so the fuel man can watch what is going on if he takes his eye off the nozzle. LMAO

sorry could not resist

Wade

The mirrors were placed that far out so the fuel man can watch what is going on if he takes his eye off the nozzle. LMAO

sorry could not resist

Wade

Here I thought it was to help Raikkonen or Massa see and block McLarens

F1 ÔÇô News ÔÇô Week in Review - January 18 2009

I was mistaken in a previous post. The BMW launch is Tuesday. Williams has a track debut and Renault a big production launch Monday. If some one can post on those great, I am traveling Monday. I hope to be able to post on the BMW launch.

The Honda sale is drawing attention for all the wrong reasons. Questions of conflict of interest and the basic value of the team have been raised. F1 is feeling pressure because the diminished grid it may be forced to field potentially puts it in conflict with contractual issues. Rules changes are up in the air; no Olympic style medals but a points award change may be in store, and the three races per engine rule seems to have bitten the dust. Money is changing hands in the form of BMW loosing a sponsor while cash strapped Williams has received a financial vote of confidence.

Here are some interesting articles from the past week.

forula1.com: David Richards Q&A ÔÇô F1 still on ProdriveÔÇÖs agenda

f1network: New Ferrari a major challenge

planetf1.com: Dennis stands down as McLaren boss

f1-live.com: Dennis is ÔÇ£very definitely notÔÇØ retired

autosport.com: Mercedes open to Honda engine supply

autosport.com: Crunch time ÔÇô win critical to ToyotaÔÇÖs future

Did Bernie get bad fad back about his medals proposal?
formula1blog.com: Ecclestone ÔÇô Points system needs change

pitpass.com: Is this one of HondaÔÇÖs potential buyers?

grandprix.com: What is going on at Honda?

paddoctalk: Rumors- Honda F1 sale to be investigated?

reuters.com: HondaÔÇÖs Fry denies conflict of interest

autosport.com: Witmarsh ÔÇô Engine rules still unclear

reuters.com: Motor racing ÔÇô Formula One drops three-race engine rule

f1-live.com: New McLaren MP4-24 makes track debut

grandprix.com: More on Honda situation

planetf1.com: Kimi ÔÇô Ferrari will be my last team

f1network.net: Theissen looking forward to the F1.09 launch

mcalren.com: New look Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4-24 makes [track] debut in Portugal

autosport.com: De la Rosa gives new McLaren first run

paddoctalk.com: Major BMW backer pulls out 17 million euro sponsorship ÔÇô [Credit Swiss]

paddoctalk.com: Vettel to Ferrari???

williamsf1.com: Randstad extend and enhance sponsorship.

BMW launch teaser

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fg-3DxNNEKs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fg-3DxNNEKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

BMW Sauber F1.09 - Rollout in Valencia

459707650_pnANE-M.jpg

01-20-2009 Press Release
BMW Sauber F1.09 unveiled in Valencia.

Valencia, 20th January 2009. The BMW Sauber F1 Team raised the curtain on its 2009 season in Formula One in Valencia this morning. Robert Kubica (24) and Nick Heidfeld (31) unveiled the new BMW Sauber F1.09 shortly after nine oÔÇÖclock. Kubica then took the car for its first lap of the southern Spanish circuit. The team goes into its fourth season with the ambitious aim of fighting for the World Championship title.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen reinforces the point: ÔÇ£We have set ourselves the task of further improving our performance relative to the rest of the field. The 1-2 in Canada and a total of eleven podium finishes in 2008 set an exacting standard. In 2009 we are looking to maintain our first-class reliability record while at the same time enhancing our performance levels so that we can be at the front of the pack on a consistent basis. We are aware that we are aiming extremely high. This is the final step in our development, and thatÔÇÖs generally the hardest one to take.ÔÇØ

Building the new car represented a massive challenge. Fundamental changes to the regulations have, in many cases, consigned the fruits of experience to the dustbin. Development work on what is a radically different race car got underway even earlier than usual. Indeed, the concept phase for the BMW Sauber F1.09 began back in February 2008. The 2009 car cuts a very different figure from all of its predecessors. Its nose is higher and much wider than before. The huge front wing consists of three elements and stretches across the full width of the car. The rear wing, on the other hand, is considerably slimmer ÔÇô in line with the new regulations ÔÇô and stands unusually high against the onrushing air. Intricate aerodynamic add-ons, such as air deflectors and cooling air exits, have been reduced to a minimum. Another eye-catching feature are the sidepods, which are now higher at the front.

2009 also marks the return of treadless tyres (slicks) to Formula One. These will deliver increased front-end grip, which makes moving more weight to the nose of the car an attractive proposition. Counteracting this, however, is another new development which the teams have the option of introducing in the upcoming season: KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System). The component parts of this technology add extra weight at the rear of the car. Alongside aerodynamics and the optimum use of the slick tyres, the integration of KERS represents another key challenge for the engineers. To this end, the front axle has been modified and the rear axle is a new design.

Willy Rampf is responsible for the F1.09 concept and will oversee operations at the race track in his capacity as Technical Coordinator. Managing Director of BMW Sauber AG Walter Riedl will lead the technical department at Hinwil in Switzerland and has responsibility for the development of the car.

While the chassis is the work of the Hinwil team, the KERS technology has been developed in Munich. There, Markus Duesmann (Head of Powertrain) and his team also have the job of preparing the BMW V8 engine for the extra mileage stipulated in the regulations. Each driver is allocated eight engines for the total of 17 races in 2009.

It may be all-change in terms of the engineering behind the car, but the men behind the wheel will be the same as in 2008. The BMW Sauber F1 Team will once again line up on the grid with the Pole Robert Kubica and German Nick Heidfeld as its driver pairing. And 26-year-old Austrian Christian Klien also stays with the team as test and reserve driver.

The teamÔÇÖs race drivers both demonstrated impressive reliability in 2008. Kubica racked up the most points for the team. The Pole added his name to the list of Formula One race winners in Canada, brought home the teamÔÇÖs first pole position in Bahrain and also notched up three second places and three third-place finishes during the course of the season. For 2009 he is hoping ÔÇ£that we are as strong at the start of the season as in 2008 and that we can maintain this level of performance up to the final race.ÔÇØ

KubicaÔÇÖs team-mate Heidfeld, meanwhile, collected four second places and recorded the teamÔÇÖs first two fastest race laps in 2008. Looking ahead to the new season, he says: ÔÇ£The team started work early on the wide range of changes. IÔÇÖm confident that weÔÇÖre in good shape and am looking forward to the first race, when weÔÇÖll see whether the balance of power has shifted at all.ÔÇØ

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has conducted intensive preparations for 2009 as it attempts to achieve its latest ambitious aim. These have included early testing with KERS and new aero elements. ÔÇ£In the three years since the BMW Sauber F1 Team was formed, we have always met the goals we set ourselves and are confident that we can do so again this season,ÔÇØ explains Theissen. However, no matter how motivated the team may be and how much development work they have behind them, gauging their progress against the competition has never been so difficult ÔÇô as Theissen acknowledges: ÔÇ£You can plan your level of performance, but not your results.ÔÇØ

459705940_5hm48-L.jpg

459706288_6epBp-L.jpg

BMW F1.09 on the left and F1.08 on the right for comparison

459706120_396FH-L.jpg

459707518_hhMCw-M.jpg

The BMW Sauber F1.09 ÔÇô fundamentally different.

The winds of change are blowing through Formula One. 2009 sees arguably the
most significant rewrite of the F1 technical rulebook in the history of the sport.
Whereas up to now the engineers had always been able to use the previous
yearÔÇÖs car as a basis for the design of their new machine, now theyÔÇÖve been asked
to start with a clean slate ÔÇô or, more accurately, a blank computer screen.
Completely redefined aerodynamics, the return of treadless tyres (slicks) and the
option of fitting KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) technology have
literally brought the teams back to the drawing board.

In early 2007 the FIA set up the OWG (Overtaking Working Group) to think up
ways of making Formula One more attractive; in other words, to identify areas
where change was needed to make overtaking easier.

The principle problem of modern Formula One cars lay in the massive
amounts of downforce they lost once the distance to the car in front dropped
below around two seconds. This ÔÇ£dirty airÔÇØ whipped up by the preceding car
significantly diminished the effect of the front wing in particular, and this
manifested itself in pronounced understeer. As a result, changes in position
were more frequently the result of strategies in the pit lane than overtaking
manoeuvres out on the track.

The OWG looked into this phenomenon with the help of a series of
experimental tests in the wind tunnel and computer-aided airflow simulations,
before coming up with a proposal: less aerodynamic downforce combined
with more mechanical grip would be the way ahead. Indeed, the OWG
recommended reducing downforce by some 40 percent.

This has led to radical changes, especially as far as aerodynamics are
concerned. The front wing of the F1.09, for example, has grown in width from
1,400 mm to 1,800 mm, making it as broad as the car as a whole. It is also fixed
lower down than before. Added to which, spectators will find the significantly
narrower, higher-mounted rear wing takes some getting used to.

The regulations have also limited the use of air deflectors and cooling apertures
to a minimum. The result of all these new rules is a totally new look for the
F1 cars.

Even more exciting than ever.

For Willy Rampf, the BMW Sauber F1 Team Technical Coordinator and the
man responsible for the concept of the BMW Sauber F1.09, and Walter Riedl,
Managing Director of BMW Sauber AG ÔÇô who also heads up the technical
department in Hinwil and is responsible for the development of the new car ÔÇô
this project has represented a memorable challenge. ÔÇ£Developing a new
Formula One car is always exciting, but this time there was something even
more special about it. We really were starting from scratch,ÔÇØ says Rampf.
The combination of the return of slicks with the possible use of KERS
technology places particular importance on weight distribution. ÔÇ£First and
foremost, the switch from grooved tyres to slicks means more grip, of course,
but it also moves the balance of forces further forward: removing the grooves
gives the front tyres proportionally a greater contact area and more grip than
the rear tyres,ÔÇØ explains Rampf. Consequently, more weight has to be shifted
towards the front of the car and the aero balance adjusted likewise.

This is no easy task, especially in conjunction with KERS, as the new system
adds extra weight and the engineers have much less scope for juggling ballast.
Furthermore, they also have to find a way of packaging the KERS elements ÔÇô
the electric motor/generator, energy storage unit and control unit ÔÇô which minimises
their negative impact on aerodynamics and at the same time ensures
there is sufficient cooling for all these components.

Work begins earlier than usual.

The team had to carefully consider all of these practical constraints in the basic
concept of the car. Key areas included the definition of parameters such as
the wheelbase, weight distribution, position of the engine and gearbox, shape
and size of the fuel tank, and the positioning of the KERS elements. ÔÇ£Because
the car differs so significantly from its predecessor, we already started work
on the first concept studies in February ÔÇô two months earlier than normal and
before the F1.08 had even started its first race,ÔÇØ says Rampf, highlighting
the extraordinary nature of the situation.

ÔÇ£Our aim,ÔÇØ continues Rampf, ÔÇ£was to build a car with high aerodynamic
efficiency and in so doing claw back as much of the downforce as possible,
which the new regulations had taken away.ÔÇØ The first phase of the project
involved conducting studies on several different concepts in which the team
assessed the interplay of aero balance, tyre requirements and weight
distribution. This was followed by an optimisation phase.

The aerodynamics experts invested a great deal of time in the development of
the front wing in particular, as this area influences the airflow over the entire car.
As far back as February, the BMW Sauber F1 Team specialists used CFD, and
thus the assistance of a supercomputer, to look into the functioning of the front
wing and, more specifically, its interaction with the underbody. ÔÇ£No longer being
allowed to use turning vanes to guide the airflow makes the task a whole lot
more difficult,ÔÇØ explains Walter Riedl. Another complicating factor is the centre
section of the front wing, which is also precisely defined in the regulations and
thus imposes further constraints on how much the engineers can do.

The result is a three-element front wing with a very dominant visual presence,
which does much to shape the appearance of the car as a whole. Its outer
edges are fitted with several auxiliary elements, which are all designed to
channel the air as efficiently as possible around the front tyres. The less air
hitting the turning wheels directly, the less uncontrolled turbulence occurs.
Another new feature of the regulations allows the drivers to move the flaps on
the front wing upwards or downwards. Again, this is intended to make it easier
to get up close behind the car in front.

They may have already made admirable progress, but this is just the beginning
for the engineers, as Riedl explains. ÔÇ£The complexity inherent in the interaction
of the front wing with the open front tyres means there is still a lot of potential
for further development here. Indeed, we picked up a wealth of valuable
knowledge in this area with the F1.08.ÔÇØ

The nose of the car also reveals striking changes and is now considerably
higher and, above all, much wider than its predecessors. After a large number of
tests, this variant proved to be the most efficient when working in combination
with the new front wing.

Severe demands on cooling.

The new regulations have also presented the engineers with a challenge when
it comes to the carÔÇÖs cooling concept, as lamellar outlet vents in the engine
cover are no longer permitted. For this reason, at the rear of the car the air now
flows back centrally through the aperture between the engine cover and the
gearbox. The channelling of the airflow takes on particular importance here, as
the hot air heats up all the nearby components. Where you used to be able to
vary the level of cooling through chimneys and lamellar outlet vents of different
sizes, now you can only vary the size of the air outlets.

But thatÔÇÖs not all, since the KERS elements also need to be cooled. While the
energy storage units fitted with impressive compactness in the two sidepods
are kept within the required temperature band by the flow of air, the KERS
control unit, which is fitted in the right-hand sidepod, has an integrated cooling
system.

The sidepods are high at the front and do not fall away as sharply to the rear as
in previous years. As chimneys or lamellar outlet vents may no longer be used
as an escape route for the exhaust air, the whole rear area of the car, including
the engine cover, has to increase in volume to enable optimum airflow over this
section as well.

The rear wing is totally new in terms of both its form and its position. It now
measures only 750 mm in width ÔÇô instead of 1,000 mm, as on last yearÔÇÖs car ÔÇô
but is 950 mm in height, up from the previous 800 mm. This change in the
regulations means that cars following behind will be subjected to less
turbulence. A particularly striking feature are the side endplates, whose form
has a major influence on the optimum functioning of the rear wing.
The lower levels of downforce will have an effect on the carÔÇÖs aerodynamic
set-up. ÔÇ£In 2009 weÔÇÖll be running maximum downforce at a lot more circuits
than last season,ÔÇØ says Rampf.

Something the observer will not be able to spot at first glance are the changes
to the diffusor also specified in the regulations. This element now rises over
a longer area than before and leads further back along the car. As a result there
will no longer be direct interaction between the diffusor and the lower element
of the rear wing, which will make the car less sensitive to different airflows.
Making optimum use of tyre potential.

The switch to slick tyres was a central factor in the development of the carÔÇÖs
suspension. The team collected initial data with the grooveless tyre, which
generates far greater grip than its predecessor, over the course of the summer
after Bridgestone delivered the first batch of slicks for testing. It quickly became
clear that achieving the right weight distribution would play a critical role. At the
front axle the priority was to extract the full potential from the tyre in the various
situations. Plus, optimised kinematics and high rigidity should allow it to give
the driver high-quality feedback.

Whereas the front axle for the new car shows only minor differences to the one
fitted on the F1.08, the rear axle is an all-new design adapted to the changes in
tyre characteristics. The aim was to achieve excellent traction, while at the same
time exploiting the lateral force potential of the tyres through an extremely wide
band. Added to which, the F1.09 should retain the impressive braking stability
of its predecessor.

And, of course, the engineers also placed considerable importance on keeping
the weight of the new car as low as possible. Numerous components were
further optimised to this end. There were no compromises, however, when it
came to rigidity.

ÔÇ£The development of the F1.09 centred on three key areas: aerodynamics,
optimum tyre utilisation and the integration of KERS. ThatÔÇÖs where our focus
has been from the outset and where we have channelled the large reserves
of knowledge amassed during the course of last season. The F1.09 contains
the combined expertise of a highly motivated team ÔÇô one which will be pulling
out all the stops to fulfil our ambitious aims once again in our fourth year on
the F1 grid,ÔÇØ sums up Managing Director, Walter Riedl.

BMW Sauber F1.09 ÔÇô technical data.

Chassis: carbon-fibre monocoque

Suspension: upper and lower wishbones (front and rear),
inboard springs and dampers, actuated by pushrods
(Sachs Race Engineering)

Brakes: six-piston brake callipers (Brembo), carbon pads and
discs (Brembo, Carbone Industrie)

Transmission: 7-speed quick shift gearbox, longitudinally mounted,
carbon-fibre clutch

KERS electronic system, BMW Sauber F1 Team

Chassis electronics: MES

Steering wheel: BMW Sauber F1 Team

Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza

Wheels: OZ

Dimensions:
length 4,690 mm
width 1,800 mm
height 1,000 mm
track width, front 1,470 mm
track width, rear 1,410 mm

Weight: 605 kg (incl. driver, tank empty)

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Rollout and shakedown in Valencia
01-20-2009 Press Release

Test in Valencia.

20th-24th December 2008
Roll-out and shakedown ÔÇô Tuesday

Weather conditions: sunny with a cool wind.

Temperatures: Air: 15-16??C. Track: 15-17??C

Number of drivers participating: one (exclusive BMW Sauber F1 Team test)

Circuit length: 4.005 km

Robert Kubica
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-02 / BMW 86/9
Test kilometres today: 293 km (73 laps)

Programme:
Immediately after the official unveiling of the BMW Sauber F1 TeamÔÇÖs 2009 car in the morning, Robert Kubica gave the F1.09 its roll-out on the track. Taking advantage of the sunny weather in the afternoon, the team concentrated on system checks and collecting base data from the all-new car. After completing 73 laps Kubica said: ÔÇ£It was a good shakedown without a technical problem. Although the track was missing a little bit of grip because there was only one car running, we already learned a lot about how the car is responding to set-up changes.ÔÇØ

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said: ÔÇ£We unveiled the BMW Sauber F1.09 this morning and continued with a shakedown on the Valencia circuit in the afternoon. Everything went according to plan and without problems. The car is now ready for the first day of proper testing tomorrow with Robert at the wheel.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Despite being a brand new car, the BMW Sauber F1.09 had a very successful shakedown. All systems worked perfectly. We could even do some basic tests like several race start simulations,ÔÇØ added Walter Riedl, Managing Director of BMW Sauber AG.

What comes next:
The BMW Sauber F1 Team will continue testing in Valencia until Saturday. Robert Kubica will again be at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09 tomorrow and on Thursday. Nick Heidfeld will take over on Friday and Saturday.

459707385_p5GZm-M.jpg

459706982_hEZ9J-M.jpg

459706614_utzQP-M.jpg

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Test in Valencia - Day one
01-21-2009 Press Release
Test in Valencia.

January 21st ÔÇô 24th 2009

Day one ÔÇô Wednesday

Weather conditions: sunny all day, windy in the afternoon.

Air temperature: 9 ÔÇô 16 ??C, track temperature: 11 ÔÇô 16 ??C

Number of drivers participating: 1 (exclusive BMW Sauber F1 Team test)

Circuit length: 4.005 km

Robert Kubica
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-02 / BMW 86/9
Test kilometres today: 397 km (99 laps)

Programme:
On the first day of proper testing with the all-new BMW Sauber F1.09, the team continued the evaluation process begun yesterday during the shakedown. Robert Kubica concentrated on set-up work. The main tasks of the day were testing different brake set-ups and different tyre compounds. ÔÇ£Although it was quite windy in the afternoon, the conditions were better than yesterday because the track is building up grip with every lap I drive,ÔÇØ said Kubica. ÔÇ£The progress we made during the day shows that we are moving in the right direction with the development of the F1.09.ÔÇØ

Kubica completed 99 laps as well as conducting several race start simulations. In the morning he deliberately stopped on the track when he carried out a so-called fuel run-out, a standard procedure with every new F1 car.

What comes next:
The BMW Sauber F1 Team will continue testing in Valencia for three more days. Tomorrow Robert Kubica will again be at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09. On Friday Nick Heidfeld will take over.

Mercedes-Benz.tv

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0" width="496" height="309" id="fullscreen" align="middle"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=870&channelId=0&lang=en" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><embed src="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=870&channelId=0&lang=en" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#333333" width="496" height="309" name="fullscreen" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0" width="496" height="309" id="fullscreen" align="middle"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=639&channelId=0&lang=en" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><embed src="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=639&channelId=0&lang=en" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#333333" width="496" height="309" name="fullscreen" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

motorsport.com: F1 Aerodynamics ÔÇô good, bad or ugly?

Formula 1

I have not had access to my F1 links and a bit of catching up is in order

Team News

BMW Sauber F1

Time to get the whole cloth to write a new resume on -
f1network.net: BMW Sauber is looking for a new race engineer.

Several of the changes for 2009 will help NH this coming season such as the diver adjustable aero features. Title hopes may make a great display of confidence in the new BMW car and his skills but a title run?
formula1.com: Heidfeld targeting title, not just a maiden win.

bmwf1blog.com: Development of the BMW Sauber F1.09

f1complet.com: BMW confirms Bahrain test swithc

Renault

Renault debuted in Portugal on January 19

I have my reservations about Heidfeld making a title run but the same is not the case for Alonso. His chances depend heavily on Renault continuing to have the commitment and results in developing the 2009 car during the season they did in the last half of 2008. He has the skills and if Renault can properly develop the car for him they have a chance to be seriously in the hunt.
formula1.com: Fenando Alonso Q&A – title is the only target for ‘09

formula1.com: Renault answers 10 questions on KERS

Red Bull

Red Bull is one of the late debuts of the mid tier teams. Their launch is scheduled for next Monday.

Williams

The Williams – Toyota FW31 debuted in Portugal on January 19.

Force One India

formula1.com: Force India on track for March debut

NEWS

Where is Dan Gurney?
crash.net: New F1 team set for 2010 made in the USA?

telegraph.co.uk: Honda Racing seeks [UK] government bailout

Defusers for Williams and Toyota were questioned –[ur= http://www.f1network.net/main/s107/st139387.htm]f1network.net[/url] gives us the set up and then tells us autosport.com: Williams, Toyota diffusers given all clear

F1 Gladiators in Rome? Tilke scouting sites for Rome F1 race

crash.net: FIA set to cut cost further?

f1complet.com ‘White paper’ reveals shape of future rules

Pit stops have added to F1. They have added strategy and surprises to the races. They have added unacceptable danger to them also. Eliminating refueling is a reasonable change back to what things were, but does it just move the safety issue from the pit lane out on the track?
planet-f1.com: FOTA contemplate a refueling ban from 2010

Today’s post is sponsored by…

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-a-2MCLhvgs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-a-2MCLhvgs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, John, what's your guess? Will there be 18 cars on the grid come 29 MAR 09, or 20? I say 18. Honda's done. The only prospect is if Vijay Mallya buys the Honda chassis to use for Force India, but that still only leaves 9 teams.

Back