Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

Bench Racing: 2009 Formula One Thread

It is time to start the 2009 Formula One thread with the launch of the Ferrari F60. This marks the beginning of the teams revealing their new cars for the 2009 season. Ferrari is first and Force India with a March launch will be last.

I will be posting information as I did last year and I hope other F1 fans will take part in the thread too.

Ferrari Press Release 12/01/09

The F60 is the fifty fifth single-seater built by Ferrari specifically to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship. The name of the car was chosen to celebrate the Scuderia's participation in all 60 editions of the Formula 1 World Championship since 1950 to date.

The project, which goes by the internal code name of 660, represents the Scuderia's interpretation of the regulations that come into force this year, which include very many new elements. As far as the aerodynamics are concerned, these modifications are the result of the work carried out by the OWG (Overtaking Working Group,) set up by the FIA in collaboration with the teams to produce a set of rules aimed at encouraging more overtaking on track: the front wing, which has a neutral central profile, common to all, is developed mainly on its side elements and is much wider than in the past: the bodywork can no longer carry the slotted apertures that had characterised the Ferrari cars over the past few years.

Other aerodynamic devices are also significantly reduced; the rear wing is higher and narrower than in the past; the diffuser has been moved rearward. The combination of changes naturally led the initial design phase down radically different routes when it came to the side pods and protection components: the apertures have been reduced in size and moved rearward, while the upper and rear elements are larger to aid the exit of air.

The new rules regarding aerodynamics have also led to modifications to the suspension, as these elements can no longer be enclosed to the same extent. The suspension system and the whole layout of the car have been redesigned in the light of the new rules in order to achieve the correct weight distribution.

The design also takes into account two other significant changes in the 2009 regulations: the possibility of using a kinetic energy recovery system (KERS) and the reintroduction of "slick" tyres. The KERS on the F60 was designed by Ferrari in collaboration with Magneti Marelli and is centrally mounted on the engine under the rear part of the chassis; its management has involved all departments of the Gestione Sportiva. The return to tyres with no grooves is another element which is down to the work of the OWG, as is the introduction of a flap on the front wing that can be adjusted by the driver when the car is moving.

The software for managing this tool, as well as for the KERS, was designed in Maranello. The transmission has been redesigned to optimise the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. The gearbox casing is again made in carbon and is still positioned longitudinally. The gearbox is fitted with a speed shifter. There is also a new braking system, with calipers designed by Brembo. Other important rule changes for this year stem from the work of FIA and FOTA (Formula One Teams Association) aimed at producing a significant reduction in the teams' operational costs.
    As far as the engine is concerned, which retains its longitudinal mounting in the F60 and continues as a load bearing structure, the rules now state that a total of eight engines may be used over the 17 Grand Prix race weekends on the calendar.

Accordingly, the maximum permitted engine speed has been reduced to 18,000 rpm and the distance target for each unit is now around 2,500 kilometres. Furthermore, modifications have been made to the inlet trumpets, the position of the injectors and the configuration of the exhausts. The changes to the regulations mean that, on the reliability front, Shell has played a fundamental role in defining the lubricants for both the engine and gearbox.

As usual, the technical partners have played an important part right from the design and development stage of the entire car. Apart from the aforementioned Shell, a significant contribution has been made by the FIAT Research Centre, especially in the use of its simulation systems and by Brembo, in the development of the braking system. As usual, great attention has been paid to the management and optimisation of the materials used, at the design stage and through quality control, aimed at maximising performance while maintaining the highest possible levels of safety.

General specifications
    Country of origin Italy
    Numbers built N/A
    Produced in 2009

Engine
    Configuration 90?? V 8
    Location Mid, longitudinally mounted
    Weight 95 kilo / 209.4 lbs
    Construction aluminum alloy block and head
    Displacement 2.398 liter / 146.3 cu in
    Bore / Stroke 98.0 mm (3.9 in) / 38.9 mm (1.5 in)
    Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
    Fuel feed Fuel Injection
    Aspiration Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain
    Chassis/body carbon fiber monocoque
    Suspension (fr/r) double wishbones, push-rod actuated torsion bars
    Brakes vented carbon ceramic discs, all-round
    Gearbox Paddle Operated 7 speed Semi-Automatic
    Drive Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
    Weight 605 kilo / 1333.8 lbs

Some more F60 Eye Candy. I am struck by how compact the car is everywhere but the tires and front wing.

Massa takes the F60 for a ride. Sorry the voice over is Italian

Toyota 2009 car launch

Monocoque
    Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction.

Fuel tank
    ATL safety cell

Suspension
    Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod.

Dampers
    Penske

Wheels
    BBS forged magnesium

Tyres
    Bridgestone Potenza

Brakes
    Toyota/Brembo callipers, Brembo master cylinders, Hitco material (carbon/carbon)

Steering
    Toyota power-assisted steering. Toyota carbon fibre steering wheel with Toyota / Magneti Marelli instruments

Driver's seat
    Carbon fibre

Restraints
    Takata

HANS device
    Hubbard-Downing

Electronics
    Toyota, Magneti Marelli plus McLaren Electronic Systems ECU (as required by FIA rules)

Transmission
    7-speed unit plus reverse

Overall length
    4636 mm

Overall height
    950mm

Overall width
    1800mm

Overall weight
    605kg inc driver and camera

RVX-09 Technical Specifications

Cylinders

Capacity
    2,398cc

Horsepower
    Approximately 740bhp

Revolutions
    Maximum 18,000rpm (as required by FIA rules)

Valve actuation
    Pneumatic

Throttle actuation
    Hydraulic

Spark Plugs
    DENSO

Fuel
    Esso

Lubricants
    Esso

Visit the Toyota Launch site at: http://www.tf109-premiere.com/home.html

Hey Mika,

Thanks for posting, I received my circular from the Ferrari Owners Group last week announcing the lauch. Wow, what a great change over the F2008. Can't wait for F1 to start.

Have you heard Ron Dennis is leaving McClunken

Having withdrawls,, after last seasons dissapointing loss to Hamilton, I sure hope Masa gets what he deserves.

Ferrari all the way,

Wade

2009 McLaren Launch

While still retaining the distinctive family look established with both the MP4-22 and MP4-23, this years car is visually very different from its predecessors as a result of two main factors:

Aerodynamics
    This years aerodynamic regulations were framed by the FIA and the Overtaking Working Group (helmed by Vodafone McLaren Mercedes engineering director Paddy Lowe, Ferraris Rory Byrne and Renaults Pat Symonds) which met throughout 2007 in order to address the issues affecting passing in Formula 1.
    The OWGs influence can be most clearly seen around the front wing, which has been widened, and the rear wing which is now more compact. Other factors affecting aerodynamics include the banning of ancillary appendages, the addition of driver-adjustable front-wing flaps and a heavily revised diffuser.

KERS
    The MP4-24s KERS device has been developed in collaboration with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, which has been developing and refining the system for almost two years. The device enables the car to recover energy under braking, store the energy for a lap and release it when the driver presses a button on the steering wheel.

With a fully optimised KERS devices output capped at 400kJ (discharging 80bhp boost for 6.7s per lap), the development teams primary focus has already shifted to further improving the units integration within the chassis in order to minimise performance loss elsewhere within the package.

An optimised KERS package can be expected to deliver a 0.3-0.5s gain per lap.

Winter test programme
    With in-season track testing now prohibited, the MP4-24 will undergo an intensive winter programme at the following venues prior to the season-opening

Australian Grand Prix on March 29:

Jan 19-22 Portimao Group test one

Feb 10-13 Jerez Group test two

Mar 1-4 Jerez Group test three

Mar 9-12 Barcelona Group test four

Week 12 Private test ahead of transportation to Melbourne

VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES MP4-24 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Chassis McLaren moulded carbon fibre/aluminium honeycomb composite incorporating front and side impact structures. Contains integral safety fuel cell

Front suspension Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement

Rear suspension Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement

Suspension dampers Koni

Electronics McLaren Electronic Systems control units incorporating electronics for chassis, engine and data acquisition. McLaren Electronic Systems also supplies the electronic dashboard, alternator voltage control, sensors, data analysis and telemetry systems

Bodywork One-piece engine cover and sidepod covers. Separate floor section, structural nose with integral front wing

Tyres Bridgestone Potenza

Radio Kenwood

Race wheels Enkei

Brake calipers Akebono

Brake master cylinders Akebono

Batteries GS Yuasa Corporation

Steering McLaren power-assisted

Instruments McLaren Electronic Systems

Engine

Type Mercedes-Benz FO 108W

Capacity 2.4 litres

Cylinders 8

Maximum rpm 18,000 (FIA regulatory limit for 2009)

Bank angle 90??

Piston bore maximum 98mm (FIA regulation)

Number of valves 32

Fuel Mobil High Performance Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)

Lubricants Mobil 1 for higher performance, lower friction and better wear resistance

Weight 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)

Transmission

Gearbox Seven forward and one reverse

Semi-auto Yes

Driveshafts McLaren

Clutch Hand-operated

THE DRIVERS

LEWIS HAMILTON - CAR NO 1
    Personal
    Born January 7 1985; place of birth Stevenage, UK; website www.lewishamilton.com

Formula 1
    2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (world champion, 98pts, five wins); 2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (2nd, 109pts, four wins)

Career highlights
    2006 GP2 (champion, five wins); 2005 F3 Euroseries (champion, 15 wins); 2004 F3 Euroseries (5th, one win); 2003 British Formula Renault (champion, 10 wins); 2002 British Formula Renault (3rd, three wins); 2000 Formula A (European champion, World Cup champion); 1999 Intercontinental A Italian champion (ICA); 1998 Junior ICA (Champions of the Future, 2nd); 1997 Junior Yamaha British champion; 1996 Cadets British champion; 1995 Cadets British champion

Has winning the world championship changed you?

ǣThe whole experience has definitely made me feel more rounded. The whole experience of 2008 has helped me to grow as an individual and not just at the races; how Ive dealt with my surroundings, my family and my life. I know I have a huge responsibility and I have to set a good example and it takes maturity to manage those things and so Im still learning and doing the best I can.

How have you spent the winter?

ǣThe winter months have been all about recharging my batteries. Last season was very tough both mentally and physically and the test and race schedule never gives you enough time to get back to peak fitness. Over the winter, Ive taken a break from the car and really focused on my preparations for 2009 and getting myself back to the peak of physical fitness. In both respects, I feel really well prepared ahead of the winter test programme and the year ahead.

What do you think of the new car?

ǣWell, obviously, I havent driven it yet. But theres an old saying in motor racing that says a beautiful car often turns out to be a quick car. And all I can say is that I hope thats right, because I reckon the MP4-24 looks simply sensational. Really beautiful, in fact.

What aspects of the 2009 season are you particularly looking forward to?

ǣThe huge rule changes are really exciting for a driver. The winter months are already quite busy because youre very heavily involved in developing the new car, but this year it will be even more intense. And the whole experience will also feel quite fresh because so much is new. I hope the racing is as close and as exciting as has been predicted because thats always more fun for a driver and fantastic for Formula 1s fans.

HEIKKI KOVALAINEN - CAR NO 2

Personal
    Born October 19 1981; place of birth Suomussalmi, Finland; website www.heikkikovalainen.net (fansite)
    Formula 1
    2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (7th, one win); 2007 Renault (7th, 30pts); 2006 Renault test driver

Career highlights

2005 GP2 (2nd, 105pts, five wins); 2004 World Series by Nissan (champion, 184pts, six wins), Race of Champions (winner); 2003 World Series by Nissan (2nd, 131pts, one win); 2002 British F3 (3rd, 256pts, five wins); 2001 British Formula Renault (4th, 243pts, two wins)

With a season at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes already under your belt, do you feel better prepared than you did a year ago?

ǣFor sure. Its easy to forget, but I only joined Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in December 2007 so my preparations for the 08 season happened very quickly. Of course, I felt comfortable straight away but it still takes time to understand exactly how each member of the team is able to help you. For this year, I feel much more integrated into the whole operation and know we can really hit the ground running when we start testing next week.

When did you start your preparations for 2009?

ǣAfter Brazil, I took a short break but was soon back at the McLaren Technology Centre preparing with my engineers for the new season. I tested a hybrid car before Christmas and it gave me a good idea of what to expect. I think the new breed of cars will suit me very well. Ive also been training in the snow of northern Finland its the best place in the world for me to relax and prepare for the year ahead.

What are your targets for the season ahead?

ǣI feel much better prepared ahead of the new season. I think you can extract a lot of performance simply from good mental preparation, and I really want to look at the positives ahead of me this year rather than becoming too focused on any difficulties. Racing alongside Lewis is the ultimate benchmark and Id like to think well both be challenging for the drivers championship and helping the team to win the constructors championship.

PEDRO DE LA ROSA
    Personal
    Born February 24 1971; place of birth Barcelona, Spain; website www.pedrodelarosa.com

Formula 1
    2008 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2006 Team McLaren Mercedes (eight races, one podium, 11th, 19pts); 2005 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver (one race, fastest lap, 20th, 4pts); 2004-2003 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2002 Jaguar Racing (19th, 0pts); 2001 Jaguar Racing (16th, 3pts); 2000 Arrows (17th, 2pts); 1999 Arrows (17th, 1pt); 1998 Jordan test driver
    Career highlights
    1997 Japanese F3000 (champion, 82pts, six wins), Super GTs (champion, 67pts, two wins); 1995 Japanese F3 (champion, eight wins), Macau F3 (third); 1992 British Formula Renault (champion), European Formula Renault (champion); 1990 Spanish Formula Ford (champion); 1989 Spanish Formula FIAT (champion)

With greater restrictions on testing, will your role change significantly this year?

ǣOf course, the new regulations will significantly affect the way the team is able to test, effectively ending in-season track testing. But it is important to remember that the role of a test driver isnt solely confined to the test track I regularly visit the McLaren Technology Centre, meet with the engineers and try new developments on the simulator. None of that will change.

Will you be less busy than in 2008?

ǣI will still be heavily involved with the winter test programme until the end of March. And you mustnt forget that I still retain my role as the teams reserve driver, which means I will travel to every race and am ready to jump into the car in an instant if either Lewis or Heikki is unable to compete. That role will still take up an enormous amount of my time.

How will you assist with the development of MP4-24?

ǣAway from the cockpit, the team will still rely on all the drivers feedback to develop the car. My role, as always, will be to use my experience to provide the engineers with consistent feedback. The absence of in-season testing simply means that the test drivers will be integrated even further into the simulation development team and will be an invaluable asset to the whole team.

GARY PAFFETT

Personal
    Born March 24 1981; place of birth Bromley, UK; website www.garypaffett.com

Formula 1
    2008-2007 Vodafone McLaren Mercedes test driver; 2006 Team McLaren Mercedes test driver
    Career highlights
    2008-2007 DTM with Mercedes-Benz; 2005 DTM (champion, 84pts, five wins); 2002 German F3 (champion, seven wins); 2001 German F3 (6th, one win); 2000 British F3 Scholarship class (champion, 13 class wins); 1999 Formula Vauxhall Junior (champion, 129pts, four wins), McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year

How will your role develop with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes during 2009?

ǣThe regulations restricting in-season testing will have a knock-on effect on every test driver within the sport and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is no exception. My contribution to the team will be smaller than it has been in recent years but this gives me the opportunity to focus on my racing commitments with Mercedes-Benz in the DTM.

What are your aims for the year ahead?

ǣLike any racing driver, I want to prove myself in a competitive environment. At the moment, I am very optimistic that I will be able to race at the front in the DTM with Mercedes-Benz but its still important that I keep my options open in Formula 1. Given the present financial situation within the sport, who knows what could happen around the corner?

Are you keen to remain part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team?

ǣAbsolutely. Both McLaren and Mercedes-Benz have played instrumental roles in my career and have supported me for a very long time both organisations are like family to me. Even though I will be racing in DTM, I will be heavily involved in the engineering development programme throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    Hey Mika,

Thanks for posting, I received my circular from the Ferrari Owners Group last week announcing the lauch. Wow, what a great change over the F2008. Can't wait for F1 to start.

Have you heard Ron Dennis is leaving McClunken

Having withdrawls,, after last seasons dissapointing loss to Hamilton, I sure hope Masa gets what he deserves.

Ferrari all the way,

Wade

Yes I just came across the announcement on the BBC F1 feed.

Dennis has been under pressure to leave since the spy scandal, their have been recent law suits for harassment. I dont think there is a rift with Mercedes; however recently any reference to someone getting MB engines has not mentioned the name McLaren as in the past. Dennis will have some role in the organization formal or informal, I believe.

BMW Launch is Monday

Toyota Launch Videos

johnnymac
    I find the mirror mounts on the Ferraris interesting. They are way further out from the drivers than either the McLaren or Toyota. I know mirror size is regulated, but is the placement not?

Not trying to push buttons, just interested.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I find the mirror mounts on the Ferraris interesting. They are way further out from the drivers than either the McLaren or Toyota. I know mirror size is regulated, but is the placement not?

Not trying to push buttons, just interested.
    Looks to me like they are more incorporated in the aero package for the fuel pods, intakes on the Ferrari than on the others. Similarly, the endplates on the front wing of the Toyota are pretty interesting. I just love this stuff........can't wait for the season to start. Thanks, Mika, for continuing to post this.

I think they will pas the test for placement. What someone may raise as an issue is do the mounts act as a aerodynamic element that directs air toward the rear spoiler and increases or changes down force.

Technical Rules

14.3 Rear view mirrors :

14.3.1 All cars must have at least two mirrors mounted so that the driver has visibility to the rear and both sides of
    the car.

14.3.2 The reflective surface of each mirror must be at least 150mm wide, this being maintained over a height of
    at least 50mm. Additionally, each corner may have a radius no greater than 10mm.

No part of the reflective surface may be less than 250 mm from the car center or more than 750mm from the rear of the cockpit entry template.

14.3.4 The FIA technical delegate must be satisfied by a practical demonstration that the driver, when seated normally, can clearly define following vehicles.

For this purpose, the driver shall be required to identify any letter or number, 150mm high and 100mm wide, placed anywhere on boards behind the car, the positions of which are detailed below :

Height : From 400mm to 1000mm from the ground.
    Width : 4000mm either side of the centre line of the car.
    Position : 10m behind the rear axle line of the car.

The mirrors were placed that far out so the fuel man can watch what is going on if he takes his eye off the nozzle. LMAO

sorry could not resist

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    The mirrors were placed that far out so the fuel man can watch what is going on if he takes his eye off the nozzle. LMAO

sorry could not resist

Wade
    Here I thought it was to help Raikkonen or Massa see and block McLarens

F1 News Week in Review - January 18 2009

I was mistaken in a previous post. The BMW launch is Tuesday. Williams has a track debut and Renault a big production launch Monday. If some one can post on those great, I am traveling Monday. I hope to be able to post on the BMW launch.

The Honda sale is drawing attention for all the wrong reasons. Questions of conflict of interest and the basic value of the team have been raised. F1 is feeling pressure because the diminished grid it may be forced to field potentially puts it in conflict with contractual issues. Rules changes are up in the air; no Olympic style medals but a points award change may be in store, and the three races per engine rule seems to have bitten the dust. Money is changing hands in the form of BMW loosing a sponsor while cash strapped Williams has received a financial vote of confidence.

Here are some interesting articles from the past week.

forula1.com: David Richards Q&A F1 still on Prodrives agenda

f1network: New Ferrari a major challenge

planetf1.com: Dennis stands down as McLaren boss

f1-live.com: Dennis is ǣvery definitely not retired

autosport.com: Mercedes open to Honda engine supply

autosport.com: Crunch time win critical to Toyotas future

Did Bernie get bad fad back about his medals proposal?
    formula1blog.com: Ecclestone Points system needs change

pitpass.com: Is this one of Hondas potential buyers?

grandprix.com: What is going on at Honda?

paddoctalk: Rumors- Honda F1 sale to be investigated?

reuters.com: Hondas Fry denies conflict of interest

autosport.com: Witmarsh Engine rules still unclear

reuters.com: Motor racing Formula One drops three-race engine rule

f1-live.com: New McLaren MP4-24 makes track debut

grandprix.com: More on Honda situation

planetf1.com: Kimi Ferrari will be my last team

f1network.net: Theissen looking forward to the F1.09 launch

mcalren.com: New look Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4-24 makes [track] debut in Portugal

autosport.com: De la Rosa gives new McLaren first run

paddoctalk.com: Major BMW backer pulls out 17 million euro sponsorship [Credit Swiss]

paddoctalk.com: Vettel to Ferrari???

williamsf1.com: Randstad extend and enhance sponsorship.

BMW launch teaser

BMW Sauber F1.09 - Rollout in Valencia

01-20-2009 Press Release
    BMW Sauber F1.09 unveiled in Valencia.

Valencia, 20th January 2009. The BMW Sauber F1 Team raised the curtain on its 2009 season in Formula One in Valencia this morning. Robert Kubica (24) and Nick Heidfeld (31) unveiled the new BMW Sauber F1.09 shortly after nine oclock. Kubica then took the car for its first lap of the southern Spanish circuit. The team goes into its fourth season with the ambitious aim of fighting for the World Championship title.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen reinforces the point: ǣWe have set ourselves the task of further improving our performance relative to the rest of the field. The 1-2 in Canada and a total of eleven podium finishes in 2008 set an exacting standard. In 2009 we are looking to maintain our first-class reliability record while at the same time enhancing our performance levels so that we can be at the front of the pack on a consistent basis. We are aware that we are aiming extremely high. This is the final step in our development, and thats generally the hardest one to take.

Building the new car represented a massive challenge. Fundamental changes to the regulations have, in many cases, consigned the fruits of experience to the dustbin. Development work on what is a radically different race car got underway even earlier than usual. Indeed, the concept phase for the BMW Sauber F1.09 began back in February 2008. The 2009 car cuts a very different figure from all of its predecessors. Its nose is higher and much wider than before. The huge front wing consists of three elements and stretches across the full width of the car. The rear wing, on the other hand, is considerably slimmer in line with the new regulations and stands unusually high against the onrushing air. Intricate aerodynamic add-ons, such as air deflectors and cooling air exits, have been reduced to a minimum. Another eye-catching feature are the sidepods, which are now higher at the front.

2009 also marks the return of treadless tyres (slicks) to Formula One. These will deliver increased front-end grip, which makes moving more weight to the nose of the car an attractive proposition. Counteracting this, however, is another new development which the teams have the option of introducing in the upcoming season: KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System). The component parts of this technology add extra weight at the rear of the car. Alongside aerodynamics and the optimum use of the slick tyres, the integration of KERS represents another key challenge for the engineers. To this end, the front axle has been modified and the rear axle is a new design.

Willy Rampf is responsible for the F1.09 concept and will oversee operations at the race track in his capacity as Technical Coordinator. Managing Director of BMW Sauber AG Walter Riedl will lead the technical department at Hinwil in Switzerland and has responsibility for the development of the car.

While the chassis is the work of the Hinwil team, the KERS technology has been developed in Munich. There, Markus Duesmann (Head of Powertrain) and his team also have the job of preparing the BMW V8 engine for the extra mileage stipulated in the regulations. Each driver is allocated eight engines for the total of 17 races in 2009.

It may be all-change in terms of the engineering behind the car, but the men behind the wheel will be the same as in 2008. The BMW Sauber F1 Team will once again line up on the grid with the Pole Robert Kubica and German Nick Heidfeld as its driver pairing. And 26-year-old Austrian Christian Klien also stays with the team as test and reserve driver.

The teams race drivers both demonstrated impressive reliability in 2008. Kubica racked up the most points for the team. The Pole added his name to the list of Formula One race winners in Canada, brought home the teams first pole position in Bahrain and also notched up three second places and three third-place finishes during the course of the season. For 2009 he is hoping ǣthat we are as strong at the start of the season as in 2008 and that we can maintain this level of performance up to the final race.

Kubicas team-mate Heidfeld, meanwhile, collected four second places and recorded the teams first two fastest race laps in 2008. Looking ahead to the new season, he says: ǣThe team started work early on the wide range of changes. Im confident that were in good shape and am looking forward to the first race, when well see whether the balance of power has shifted at all.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has conducted intensive preparations for 2009 as it attempts to achieve its latest ambitious aim. These have included early testing with KERS and new aero elements. ǣIn the three years since the BMW Sauber F1 Team was formed, we have always met the goals we set ourselves and are confident that we can do so again this season, explains Theissen. However, no matter how motivated the team may be and how much development work they have behind them, gauging their progress against the competition has never been so difficult as Theissen acknowledges: ǣYou can plan your level of performance, but not your results.

[img][url=http://m1ka.smugmug.com/photos/459706288_6epBp-L.jpg[/img]
    BMW F1.09 on the left and F1.08 on the right for comparison