• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100GS Fans: Schneider's Inc. Forced Under By Lawsuit

laguna

In case anyone is wondering I am not the laguna that is named as the lawyer in this post. I am a Texan that lives on the Laguna Madre .

Last week I heard........

On a news program last week I heard a couple of "experts" discussing the viability of suing the pilot of flight 1549 that he (the pilot) expertly ditched in the Hudson River saving 153 lives.

Opinion concluded that suits will be filed!

The problem that I see with not reforming our system of civil tort, is that the capital extracted from the economy through this practice of finding deep pockets, a compliant jury and a sympathetic judge, is that it adds no economic value to the capital. In a business capital is constantly being turned over producing profit as the plan succeeds. Siezing the capital stops the business, makes lots of people poorer.

"Loser pays" is the first "change" with which I'm sure our new founded hopes will be rewarded. Maybe the "fair Tax" will be the next?

I overrode the sidestand return spring on my Duc 900ss and forgot it was down once and it almost launched me into a high side. I think maybe the originally designed as auto retract stands are harsher than the old 70's stay down stands because the old stands compensated for the possibilty of such an oversight. Auto retract was a step backwards from intellegent design. The airhead sidestand is not an intellegent design, I got a wudo sidestand for my r100rs (Made in Germany!) works great. Mr Schneider was caught in a trap created by the manufacturers and engineers in response to fear of product liability lawsuits on their end. All part of the dumbing down of America.

So now we BMW riders are the losers, because a unique and useful product is now denied us, directly due the greed which destroyed this good man.

Where is the Outrage?
Where is the Case? :scratch

Unlike you, I am unwilling to conclude that anyone was 'greedy' until I know what happened, at least as it appears in a court's decision. Apparently, niggling facts like that don't bother you.

Where is the Case? :scratch

Unlike you, I am unwilling to conclude that anyone was 'greedy' until I know what happened, at least as it appears in a court's decision. Apparently, niggling facts like that don't bother you.

Duhhh...Try reading the originating post to this thread...

BrickRider

I just re-read the first post. I didn't see any case cited there either.

Quotation taken from first post:

"If you're interested, the lawsuit is public record and can be found by anyone with similar gumption to do so."

Brick

Quotation taken from first post:

"If you're interested, the lawsuit is public record and can be found by anyone with similar gumption to do so."

Brick
Oh, really? So where is it, Brick? :dunno

If someone is asserting that there is a lawsuit about which he's upset out there somewhere, I think it behooves him to offer at least a hint of where the hell it is. I am an attorney and I can search all federal court records (I've already searched two) as well as many (but not all) state court records (also searched two). But I have no plans to start looking through well over 100 sets of court records to find a case that allegedly exists.

It would also help to have some names from the caption of that case. Do you have any idea how many cases with the name "Schneider" appear in any search? So who is the other party? For that matter, was it even Schneider who was sued, or was it against a company (what name)?

Saying, "It happened; it really really did!" doesn't convince me any more than having a real photograph attached to all the email warnings about Butt Spiders. Since our original poster hasn't come forward with any specific information, I'm prepared to say, "It never happened." :stick

So, we're up to seven pages of posts, mostly about how lawyers-are-snakes and this-is-what's-wrong-with America, and no one - NO ONE - has actually seen so much as a complaint here, much less a judgment?

The business name is Schneider's Inc. Registered in Montana for auto sales. I haven't had the chance to do my own checking, I might just go out to Superior this weekend. Depends on the weather (we've had pea soup fog, not fun on I-90) and my schedule.

Doesn't surprise me. This one smacks of urban myth. Especially the "veil-piercing" bit. You could probably count the number of times the corporate veil has successfully been pierced in this country since 1781 on one hand, maybe two. And I'm not aware of any case in which it's happened that didn't include elements of fraud or at least GROSSLY inadequate capitalization.

Back