• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100GS Fans: Schneider's Inc. Forced Under By Lawsuit

funny i always deployed my airhead's sidestand with my left hand, could never manage to hook my boot on the tang properly.

To get back on topic...

Is there anything any of us can do to help out Bill? I'll sign an waiver and buy 3 side stand fixers ---'cause I need them!

Suggestions?

Probably the only thing he'd be willing to do is to sell the lot all 100 or so side stand fixers and 1300 or so flip a levers to one individual, who releases him from all liability. This would work unless he's not allowed to sell them based on the terms of the lawsuit.

I've got both the side stand fixer and the throttle lock on my bike. Great stuff, but if someone would come up with a ignition lock-out switch to go along with the side stand fixer I'm sure he would have more than a few customers and could get a good price.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the jury pool. Just how many of us try to get out of being on a jury, any jury because it is an inconvenience. When that happens we are not really being judged by our peers. When jurors do not relate to the people on trial or being sued they will look at it as "no skin off my back".
jmho

Don Mitchell
Bellville,TX

Schneider's is a half hour from my place, in Superior, MT. I checked the State's entity search and it shows a voluntary dissolution in Feb 20, 2008. I'll ask around next week, I know a few of the bike shop people in town.

Schneider's is a half hour from my place, in Superior, MT. I checked the State's entity search and it shows a voluntary dissolution in Feb 20, 2008. I'll ask around next week, I know a few of the bike shop people in town.
Maybe ask where this case was filed, too. With a PA plaintiff and a MT defendant, it could be in a MT state court or in a federal district court in either state. I searched PA state cases, which is the least likely place for it under these circumstances.

Yup, a few different place that suit could be filed. Those of this type tend to get filed in the plaintiff's home court, in state court, but it could have been removed to federal district court.

Or it could all be another urban myth. Ailing business succumbs to reality, not because of misjudgement or economy, but because of those damned greedy (archetypal) lawyers! First thing we do....

Yup, a few different place that suit could be filed. Those of this type tend to get filed in the plaintiff's home court, in state court, but it could have been removed to federal district court.

Or it could all be another urban myth. Ailing business succumbs to reality, not because of misjudgement or economy, but because of those damned greedy (archetypal) lawyers! First thing we do....
Yeah; I was thinking the same thing; and I will do so until provided with a case cite.

I'm sixty one years old. I remember to the day when I got my first bicycle (5 years old). My Daddy taught me how to manage the side stand. I can still do it. I don't need a owners manual or a lawyer.

I'm sixty one years old. I remember to the day when I got my first bicycle (5 years old). My Daddy taught me how to manage the side stand. I can still do it. I don't need a owners manual or a lawyer.

Yeah, and we didnt need no $*%$$#&$$$ Lawyer when we skinned our knee either.
the only thing safe to be in this country is a lawyer....ahh...the NEW american dream.

One crucial difference always appears in any discussion of "personal responsibility", but is somehow rarely understood.

Lawyers do NOT practice Justice in our court system. This is a false premise constantly sold on TV (Perry Mason) and in the movies because it appeals to people who believe in the clear-cut ideals of right vs. wrong.

No, Lawyers practice LAW in the courts. There is all the difference in the world, and it is why this good man lost his life's work and savings to some greedy SOB. In any liability case, the Lawyers do NOT attempt to right a wrong. Rather, they use existing laws to find a "Deep Pocket"; that is, whomever appears to have the most money will be the one magically always found culpable, whether person or corporation.

Until we in this country adopt the "Loser Pays" court system, abuses such as that which is the subject of this thread, like the example of the old lady at MacDonalds with the hot coffee, or the lady who sued the microwave company because it killed her dog when she put him in there to "dry him off", will always appear in some new form of "Legal Lotto".

I have read studies which claim that abuses perpetrated by the legal profession add as much as 40% to nearly every product sold in this country, with values much higher than that for products and services in the medical profession. Ask your doctor what his ANNUAL liability insurance rates are. Even for those of you who shake your head yes, you understand they are high, the costs will still be staggering if you inquire.

Unfortunately, airing grievances in any forum does nothing but preach to the choir. The only effective option, which is also the most difficult, is support Tort Reform, and good luck with that.

$.02

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

"I have read studies which claim that abuses perpetrated by the legal profession add as much as 40% to nearly every product sold in this country, with values much higher than that for products and services in the medical profession. Ask your doctor what his ANNUAL liability insurance rates are. "

And I've read that Fitch Fuel Catalysts stabilize fuel, stop pinging, increase horsepower and mileage, and whiten the rider's teeth. I read it, so it must be true.

Let's talk now about the docs who remove the wrong kidney, or amputate the wrong leg....wonder if that has any effect on liability insurance rates?

Ain't saying there aren't bad lawyers out there. But show me the profession or job that doesn't have any bad folks. Just one will do.

According to the new policy of our president to be, a welfare recipient is a job classification. They do no wrongs..................

Let's talk now about the docs who remove the wrong kidney, or amputate the wrong leg....wonder if that has any effect on liability insurance rates?

That's what insurance is FOR - in case of human error. The Insurance Company Actuaries build these accidents, and their consequences, into the rates.

I worked in association with the Insurance Industry for more the 20 years, and could tell you some true episodes which exemplify what's wrong with the way that dishonest attorneys, and their clients, deliberately use "Legal Lotto" the destroy people like Mr. Schneider.

Sounds like you are a Doubting Thomas. That's OK - it's a free country -- still. If you have the time, and the courage, contact the claims office of whatever company you are insured with. Ask to speak to a claims adjuster at his/her convenience. Say that you are doing some research on claims abuse for a college class. Then ask for some basic details on real-life worst case scenarios of abuse they have seen.

Be careful. You might get your eyes opened.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

Don't doubt it at all. I didn't exclude the legal profession in saying each profession/trade has some bad apples.

Maybe, just maybe, a few good ones too?

A friend of mine is a lawyer for insurance companies.

He has some very funny stories.

One of my favorites is the very old couple who added loss of consortium into their pile of claims. That means they couldn't "do it" due to whatever happened.

So, at the deposition, my buddy had to take a breath and ask the aged couple how many times a week they had been hittin' the headboard before the incident.

When they said five time a week, my friend tried not to laugh in their faces.

Naturally, he likes to use the story to shame his wife into upping the frequency.

Don't doubt it at all. I didn't exclude the legal profession in saying each profession/trade has some bad apples.

Maybe, just maybe, a few good ones too?

Oh yeah, I know some good ones. Didn't say they were all bad.

It's just that the scenario of destroying the work and life savings of Mr. Schneider happens with frightening frequency in this country. The threat is real to all of us, because anyone can be sued for venomous reasons, and merely the defense costs may bankrupt a person, with no recourse to recover. Remember, loser does not pay.

So now we BMW riders are the losers, because a unique and useful product is now denied us, directly due the greed which destroyed this good man.

Where is the Outrage?

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

It's just that the scenario of destroying the work and life savings of Mr. Schneider happens with frightening frequency in this country. Where is the Outrage?

Come on - the guy was selling means to subvert a manufacturer-installed safety system and THAT's outrageous.

<<<Come on - the guy was selling means to subvert a manufacturer-installed safety system and THAT's outrageous.>>>

Sorry, Ken, no offense, but I beg to differ. Yes, it defeated a manufacturer installed safety system. I have done that in several of my bikes- not through his products. I KNOW that if I do not remember to kick the sidestand back before I take off, I may crash. I chose to take that risk. No one forced me to do it, I did it for my own convenience. By that standard any BROWN sidestand is an outrageous device. I do not know if he provided adequate warnings of the risk though (I am a lawyer), but even if not, some common sense....

A lot of people on this thread have bought the product.

Does it come with the typical warning sticker on it?

Something like - WARNING use of this product may cause the user serious bodily harm or death.

That is nice and general - you can stick it on everything and close the courtroom doors.

Back