• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I hate shopping for a new helmet....

I really like the looks of the C3. I wish Shoei would add an internal sun shield (or whatever you call it) to the Muli-tec; I'd order one today...maybe two just in case they quit making it tomorrow.

What Shoei DID do with the Multitec was to include cut-outs, or relief slots, on each side of the interior that make it VERY EASY to slip on sunglasses or other glasses after you put the helmet on. It is MUCH easier, and less painful, to wear glasses with my Multitec than with my X-11.

HJC is Noisy

I bought the HJC prior to seeing the Nolan with internal sun shade. I find that it is quite a bit louder than my non-modular HJC. I replaced the cheek pads, but there was no improvement. Sound is a typically function of fit (head shape), so it may work for you. The overall quality seems very good, internal padding is plush compared to some I tried and it is reasonably priced, just wish it were quieter.

+1 the HJC Flip I have is comfortable, it is cost effective, and it works well ... except it is NOT quiet. I replaced it with a much quieter Nolan N103. It is my understanding that the N103 is still not quiet compared to a full face Arai.

I have both an HJC AC-12 Carbon Elbowz and a Symax II modular. Both extremely comfortable, perfect fits. They seem to match my head shape perfectly. Other brands, notably Arai, do not.

I would like a light, quiet helmet with a good internal sun visor..

Just rode back 1/9 from CA to TX, 1345 miles, 2 days. The person that I picked the bike up from loaned me a HJC Flip with an orange filter visor, he did this so I could use the XM on the GPS. I had never used a flip, thought it would be nosier, noticed no difference, it fact it was great. The orange filter concerned me, he was a CHP so I figured he knew his safety stuff, but he gave me a clear visor as well, never used it. I used the orange visor all the way and it was outstanding. The sunglasses I brought were heavy tint and I only used them coming out of CA, southeast and directly into the rising sun. Also used the tinted flip and it was OK, but could not use all three at once, even into the rising sun, just to much tint to allow one to see any detail. On Fri. a.m. left N.M. and riding more Easterly, so never used the sunglasses, found that flipping down the tinted shield over the orange was adequate. Probably used the sunglasses <10% and I have very light sensitive eyes. Bottom line: the orange tint was outstanding.

Best light helmet is the HJC AC-12 Carbon, but it has no internal sun visor, and a high Sharp score.

this helmet has been discontinued. I don't see it listed on the Sharp web site, perhaps due to it no longer being current.

For those so inclined, there is still some stock out there.

2 years ago I wanted to move from a flip (modular) helmet to a full face. I was frustrated and live in the south, so ventilation is a big issue. I went to a local store and explained my situation. They turned me towards a Shoei SX-11. They told me to ride with and if I did not like it, I could return it within 30 days. What can I tell you: The helmet is quieter than my flip, it is lighter, and it is much better ventilated than the flip helmet. It is bar-none the best helmet ventilation that I have ever worn. After 2 years of riding with it, I replaced the visor and went with the pin-lock for the fogging and the different incerts you can put in it. They have clear, yellow tint, orange tint, light smoke and dark smoke. I love it.
But the bottom line was the store allowing me to return the helmet and giving me 100% refund if I did not like the helmet. You can't do that over the internet. That is what sealed the deal for me. Best of luck.

I finally made a decision...

I went with the Scorpion EVO 1000. So far so good. I have 5 days to try it out and return it if I don't like. The fit seams good, love the internal visor and the helmet is 10X more quiet than the HJC I had.

I would like a light, quiet helmet with a good internal sun visor....

According to all the reviews I have read they don't make one.

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

anyone have any experience with these (the model with the internal sun visor?) or know of any others?

I have a Nolan 2 yrs. old,,Very little use (maybe 300 miles.) It's loud, heavy and the sun shield has developed a mark at line of sight from ????I would not buy another one at half the price...Shoei or arai...I have had both and prefer shoei

Nolan helmet

I have a Nolan full face with clear visor and additional flip-down sun screen. This is a very comfortable helmet that works well. I do mostly short countryside rides, often in shady areas and I like to be able to flip the sunvisor up and out of the way when a wall of shadow is approaching. It's an easy to clean helmet. I am wary of a permanent sunvisor as they can leave you blind inside tunnels or overhanging trees, etc. I actually came online to find out if anyone has experience with Nexx helmets. I saw these at the Motorcylce show in NYC a couple of weeks ago. The people at the booth were very helpful and the helmets look great. They seem on the tight side so a larger that normal size would have to be tried out. I ride in upstate NY and August is a time when my head feels like it's about to boil over. The Nexx have a good selection of venting styles too. Any comments, anyone.

I have never heard of a Nolan being accused of being a "quiet" helmet.

I would like a light, quiet helmet with a good internal sun visor....

According to all the reviews I have read they don't make one.

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

anyone have any experience with these (the model with the internal sun visor?) or know of any others?

Back