• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I hate shopping for a new helmet....

E

emperkin

I would like a light, quiet helmet with a good internal sun visor....

According to all the reviews I have read they don't make one.

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

anyone have any experience with these (the model with the internal sun visor?) or know of any others?

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

anyone have any experience with these (the model with the internal sun visor?) or know of any others?

Caberg makes helmets that have an internal sun visor, though I'm not up on their current models. Previosuly the Solo (full-face) had one, as well as the Justissimo (full-face flip front). They tend more towards "round" head shape. I had a Solo but it wasn't very comfy with my "long oval" melon after a while.

helmet

I just got a Nolan N-103 flip up with the internal sun visor. I have a round head, and the helmet is a perfect fit. The helmet appears to be well made, the chin strap latch works great, interior padding is good and it is much more quiet than my 6 year old Schuberth. Venting is not the greatest, but that can be fixed by removing the chin curtain. The sun visor is more sturdy and covers more of the face than the Schuberth. It is also set up to receive Blue Tooth communication devices.

Every helmet manufacturer uses a different head-form, so you need to try them all to see which one fits your head shape.

I just tried a VEMAR flip helmet, with a built in sun visor and blue tooth. It's advertised in the MOA-ON. I leaning toward's the purchase of this helmet. But first I want to try a Nolan-103 to compare. I'm presently using a CABRIO and love it but its no longer available. Too bad because its a wonderful helmet. good luck in your choice

Recently bought the Nolan N-103 to replace an older Nolan flip helmet. I've installed the basic and blue tooth kits and so far pretty good. I like the internal sun visor and haven't had any problems. Even with ear plugs, I can still hear the phone and GPS pretty well. I also have a "round" head and the fit is pretty nice.

What also helps with me is that I wear glasses. With the internal sun visor, I don't have to swap between prescription sunglasses and my regular glasses (gave up contacts when I retired).

There is still some wind noise, but I have a '02 K12RS and ride with the wind shield in the low position and the external visor of the helmet usually partly open (which explains my multiple close encounters with bee's). :laugh

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input!

I understand that the fit is personal, but I wanted to get a feel for how everyone liked everything else.

Thanks again

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

Last May I bought the Scorpion EXO 1000 Apollo helmet. It is quieter and cooler than either my Shoei RF or my Schubert flip. It has the internal drop down sun visor, a pump to custom fit the cheek pads, air vents when open that do add additional wind noise and all pads are removal for washing. The price was very reasonable and it is DOT and Snell rated. The helmet might be a pound or so heavier than the Shoei RF, but I do not notice the weight difference. When I mention quietness with a helmet, I do wear earplugs and a Slik which both help reduce wind noise significantly. The visors are made such that fogging occurs to a minimum. There are pockets by each ear for helmet speakers. It also has a visor lock to keep the helmet as quiet as possible. The only objectionable part of the Scorpion is the first lift position for the visor; it does not click into place until it is opened about halfway up.

I did have one problem with it in August (I damaged the plastic tabs that held a cheek pad in place) and within a few days, their service rep showed up, replaced the buttons and then noticed a slight imperfection with the weather stripping meeting the left side of the visor. He then replaced the helmet with a brand new one.

With both my Shoei and my Scorpion, I was able to test ride each helmet before buying. Therefore I knew what I was getting before I actually bought them. With the Shoei the dealer knew me as a regular customer and with the Scorpion dealer, they asked for one of my credit cards as a deposit. If at all possible, try to take whichever helmet you buy for a test ride first.

That's the one that is going to be my next helmet!

+1

Last May I bought the Scorpion EXO 1000 Apollo helmet. It is quieter and cooler than either my Shoei RF or my Schubert flip. It has the internal drop down sun visor, a pump to custom fit the cheek pads, air vents when open that do add additional wind noise and all pads are removal for washing. The price was very reasonable and it is DOT and Snell rated. The helmet might be a pound or so heavier than the Shoei RF, but I do not notice the weight difference. When I mention quietness with a helmet, I do wear earplugs and a Slik which both help reduce wind noise significantly. The visors are made such that fogging occurs to a minimum. There are pockets by each ear for helmet speakers. It also has a visor lock to keep the helmet as quiet as possible. The only objectionable part of the Scorpion is the first lift position for the visor; it does not click into place until it is opened about halfway up.

I did have one problem with it in August (I damaged the plastic tabs that held a cheek pad in place) and within a few days, their service rep showed up, replaced the buttons and then noticed a slight imperfection with the weather stripping meeting the left side of the visor. He then replaced the helmet with a brand new one.

With both my Shoei and my Scorpion, I was able to test ride each helmet before buying. Therefore I knew what I was getting before I actually bought them. With the Shoei the dealer knew me as a regular customer and with the Scorpion dealer, they asked for one of my credit cards as a deposit. If at all possible, try to take whichever helmet you buy for a test ride first.

I currently have a Schuberth Concept and love it. It is very quiet. However I am in the same boat. The seals are going and the UV coating on the inside is starting to flake. I am leaning to buying a System 5 BMW helmet built by Schuberth. Just waiting for the US dollar to rally a little more against the British Pound. And I know it it is not DOT approved but, it is is CE approved, thats tighter standards than DOT.

Right now that helmet with shipping will cost slightly over $500.00

I think I have been told that Scorpion is suppose to come out with a new Helmet this month that allows the chin bar to flip towards the back and let the rider wear it as a open face as well.

Correction. I left "not" out of this statement.

air vents when open that do add additional wind noise

It should have read "air vents when open that do NOT add additional wind noise".

I'll try to proof read more carefully in the future.

anyone know of a scorpion helmet dealer around the San Francisco area?

I bought the HJC prior to seeing the Nolan with internal sun shade. I find that it is quite a bit louder than my non-modular HJC. I replaced the cheek pads, but there was no improvement. Sound is a typically function of fit (head shape), so it may work for you. The overall quality seems very good, internal padding is plush compared to some I tried and it is reasonably priced, just wish it were quieter.

at the risk of sounding like a nanny ~ for me all features are secondary to a helmet's safety rating. The drawback is not all helmets have been rated (other then pass/fail).

I started here in my most recent search, sorted by the type of helmet I wanted (full Face; System (flip up), open face, etc) and then sorted by highest rating and considered only helmets with a 5 star rating.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Best of luck!

I think the only thing I have decided so far is to get a full face (non modular). I have had one before and I never used that function. So for me, its an unnecessary weight and noise gain.

Best light helmet is the HJC AC-12 Carbon, but it has no internal sun visor, and a high Sharp score.

The only three I know of
Scorpion
Nolan
HJC

You've gotta try them on. None of these three fit my squash, but they might work for you.

Scorpion EXO-700 and 400 fit fine though, as does HJC AC-11 and various other models. Nolan, never.

I really like the looks of the C3. I wish Shoei would add an internal sun shield (or whatever you call it) to the Muli-tec; I'd order one today...maybe two just in case they quit making it tomorrow.

Back