• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1150r lean mixture?

lamtha

location,los angeles
i just got my first bmw,2003 r1150r.i'm not familiar with bikes.but i have so much fun i feel 30 years younger[i'm 59] anyway she has 15000mi,very clean and i'm checking her all around.i ordered oil filter, air filter, spark plugs.
my question is this.i removed one sparkplug [very difficult to pull out the boot,is there a tool for that?] the sparkplug looks very clean no carbon deposit and white somewhat. is that indication of lean mixture, or this is normal? i want to mention, the previous owner installed a REMUS exhaust system,can that change the mixture?

regards.Peter.
2005 vespa GT.
2003 R1150R.

if ALL the po did was add a Remus, without changing the chip, then yes, very likely to be running overly lean. they all run lean from the factoy due to EPA regs- an aftermarket exh will just exacerbate that situation.

are you at altitude, or low? (hint: complete your profile)

lean mixture

thank you for responding.i live a little north of los angeles,so the altitude is about 500 feet. judging by the color of sparkplug don't think po change the chip.
he did give me the original pipe and cat. if it's going to do some damage to the engine,maybe it's wise to put the oem pipe back.
i have to say, Remus looks and sounds nice,not loud.
what's your opinion,is a chip the way to go,or keep it oem?
regards. Peter.

do you have stock mufflers or Remus? i think that would be the deciding factor. stock cans you could likely get away with stock chip. if Remus cans, i'd find a chip- keep the sound, gain some (slight) performance, keep the moyor that little bit happier.
not sure whose chip mates best to a Remus tho. i don't think they make their own, but maybe. bbs?

i have the Remus on right now,oem is spare parts. i'm going to look for a chip that matches the Remus pipe.
i'll start a new thread,maybe somebody has done it already.
thank you,when i find the answer i'll post it.
regards.Peter.

may i suggest that you try a search. i'd use "remus chip" as my terms- you coud get an answer a lot faster than just waiting by the side of the road.

my question is this.i removed one sparkplug [very difficult to pull out the boot,is there a tool for that?

I'm not familiar with your particular bike, but mine came with a sparkplug removal tool in the stock kit. Small round end that fits over plug boot with a small pull tab attached.

Good luck with your new toy!

it's that half-dome looking nylon/plastic tool. all the R bikes should have them. you can get one from a dealer if yours is missing- around $3 or so.

I modified the exhaust on my 94 R1100RS, built my own internals for the stock muffler. The result I got was better sound, but an even leaner mixture. Also, I have been using a K&N air filter for many years, but that also tends to lean out the mixture.

Last year I installed a Techlusion kit to modify/tune the fuel system, with very good results. I now have very minimal popping on decel, easier starting, smooth midrange power and I still get 40 mpg average and up to 45mpg on long rides.

running lean

dont worry.you are not running lean.The motronic regulates all that ,altitude or not.And yes there is a tool to pull the plugwires

dont worry.you are not running lean.The motronic regulates all that ,altitude or not.And yes there is a tool to pull the plugwires

yes, Motronic will pretty well compensate for altitude, i'm just not sure that it will do it 100%.
HOWEVER, when you change exhaust &/or intake conditions the stock chip will very likely be beyond its ability to adjust. given that these machines run very lean to begin with, it is entirely possible to create an overly lean condition. plugs should not be white- you'd really like to see a very light tan.

what makes you so positive that he is not running lean?

hi guys.judging by the color of sparkplug she is running lean,it's white and that is after i came from a 40 mile ride on freeway.it pops when i decel also.
so i did some search and the only site that seems to specialize in bmw chips is
www.rhinewestperformance.com
i'll give them a call they are located at San Antonio,TX. i'm determined to get to the bottom of this,mean while i,m giving her a little tune up this weekend, adjust valves[my first time] oil filter, oil,air filter,i got that plastic boot removing tool,so at what mileage you change the fuel filter?
regards:peter.

Laser maked a chip for BMW, but not sore hoe "perfect" it is far a Remus. it's designed for the Laser exhaust (which, as a package, was offered as a factory option for the last 2 or 3 years of thr R1100S. i'd contact Robert Foster and talk to him- US importer for Laser FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Vanderlinde and BBS also make chips for BMWs.

general consessus is around 25K miles for fuel filter. they seem to be able to last upwards of 2x that mileage- as long as you don't give them any water to drink. that's instant death for them.

Popping on decel (what many people incorrectly refer to as "backfiring"), is VERY common on any brand motorcycle which has its fuel system set up to meet federal emission regulations.

The popping on decel is related to lean running conditions, but is more caused by closed throttle conditions. When the throttle is closed on decel, the momentum of the bike continues to (with the clutch out) "drive" the engine causing it to continue to draw in air, but the throttle being closed limits the fuel when the engine still draws in air. The next time you are riding and notice the popping on decel, pull in the clutch lever and the popping will stop. The popping is actually intermittent firing of a cylinder when it does get enough fuel to fire.

So the air/fuel mix goes lean and the popping results. If just the intake or exhaust is modified to be "free breathing" it usually leans out the low rpm air/fuel mix and makes the popping worse. So anytime the egine breathing is modified, both the intake and exahust must be modifed to keep the right balance. The popping is no way detrimental to the engine, it is simply an audio irritant to some people. By modifying the air/fuel mix slightly (which by the way, is illegal for on-highway use) the engine has that little bit of extra fuel on closed throttle decel to reduce or eliminate the popping.

Back