• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Chicago International Cycle Show-Rosemont

Lunch at 12:30PM?????

I just want to give the folks who are driving long distances a little breathing room with some extra time in case the weather gets nasty.

If at all possible, could we stick with restaurants that have "conventional" menus (American, Italian, ). I have nut allergies and I need to be careful in Asian and other specialty places.

work- work- work

Well it will be just Barry going since that is my weekend to work and no one will traded Saturdays for me. He'll be coming down with our crew of #116 Port Club members(since he was elected --err ambushed to be the new Club Pres.)

Guys guys! You all are obviously from out of town (how'd I guess)?
Have you any idea where this event is held? It's freakin' Rosemont.
It will take you a half hour just to leave the complex and get to your vehicle(s) and then you have to drive somewhere (we are not downtown Chi, this is not like the Javett's Center where all of the city is at your disposal).
So likely the best you can do around that area is not what I would consider premium dining.

So . . . that being understood what did you all have in mind for lunch? Quick and dirty sandwiches? Or are we on a quest for something a little more ethereal?
Give me your ideas and let me poke about to see what's available nearby . . . to be honest it's not the best area to be looking for decent eats.

Oh and Manic . . . in response to your tag . . . LMNOP. How's that for letters.
ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW . . . Sheesh!

Wez is correct in that we'll be lucky to say hello and grab something at one of the inhouse vendor food stands.

Trying to go outside the convention center is nuts especially if it's realllllly cold outside.

26667 and other locals

is there anything at all within walking distance of the convention center?

This appears to be turning into a bit of a challenge.

Personally, I'll just be glad to get to the show and meet up with everybody. It's not necessary to go out to find someplace to eat.

Personally, I'll just be glad to get to the show and meet up with everybody. It's not necessary to go out to find someplace to eat.

I agree. I'm a new to BMWMOA and so have not yet met anyone. And as my whole family will be with me, I think I too would be happy if some of us could just meet up at the BMW display.

no

is there anything at all within walking distance of the convention center?

This appears to be turning into a bit of a challenge.
You've about got it right. Even in perfect summer weather it's a good distance to any sort of restaurant. The CTA is only a couple blocks, as I posted earlier. You could go to the Loop in 40 minutes. Or out to the airport in 5 minutes. I'll take a drive that way Monday though, and try and clock some distances and ideas. I'll report as soon as learn a bit more. I don't go down there on River Road very often so there may be some ideas I'm forgetting. There are movie theatres adjacent to the parking lot and some kind of restaurant there, but I think it's part of the theatre and comes w the price of tix.
I'll get back to the forum w some info when I can.

Last edited:
so near and yet...

here's what I found on a quick drive-by: Just less than a mile N on River Rd. are McD's and Giordano's Pizza (famous for ...what else? Chicago-style pizza)
There are several hotels right across the street (River Rd) from the Conv Ctr. with places like Morton's, and McCormick & Schmick and a couple others; pricey steak/seafood houses. They're about two tenths of a mi south.
About seven tenths of a miles S. is a Denny's, but there isn't always a sidewalk...at least not one that's cleared today.
I suppose you could cab for a couple bucks, tho' I DK how available cabs are. As someone wrote above, it ain't exactly The Javitts Center.
The CTA looks to me like a pretty reasonable walk from the show, even in the winter, though extremely foul weather could change that. Depending I suppose on one's definition of "extreme." From the River Road stop it's about two miles (a two minute ride) to the Cumberland stop. There's a Bennigan's that's a short walk from there. It's in the office park South of and adjacent to the station. A slightly longer walk N on Cumberland, just over the expressway gets you a Hooters, and a thai restaurant. And walking another couple blocks east on Higgins Rd gets you an Outback Steakhouse. You might cab from the show to any one these, but getting a cab back could be a little tricky. You'd want to be sure and get a phone number for dispatch.
Or you could all come to my house for PBJ's and Campbell's Soup

Looks like we'll have to wait and see what the weather is like for that Saturday. Maybe then we can make a plan.

I wish I could go to the show, since I live extremely close, but I'm away at college so I don't see that happening.

I'd recommend Giordano's. If you're in a hurry, call ahead, because the deep dish takes about 40 minutes to make, but it is fantastic. It is about a mile north of the convention center, just off River Road.

While my mind is on pizza, there is also a Gino's East Pizza right next to the Cumberland L stop. I'd recommend that over a Bennigan's, but I like pizza:thumb

If you guys want to meet for breakfast, there's a decent greasy spoon called "Mac's". It's probably about a mile away from the convention center, on Higgins, just east of Cumberland. Lots of state troopers eat there, so it has to be good.

While my mind is on pizza, there is also a Gino's East Pizza right next to the Cumberland L stop.

If you guys want to meet for breakfast, there's a decent greasy spoon called "Mac's". It's probably about a mile away from the convention center, on Higgins, just east of Cumberland. Lots of state troopers eat there, so it has to be good.

For Gino's, from the Cumberland L stop: You walk up and over the expressway, across Higgins Rd, at the corner by Dominick's Grocery, turn left and go 100 yards or so
For Mac's, same deal, kinda. Up and over the expy from the L stop, and across Higgins Rd, but then turn right. Short walk. About a block. And I'd rate Mac's "decent" too. Meaning good breakfast joint.

Riding up on a charter bus from the honda kawi dealer in peoria on the 8th.Easier than driving/parking etc. Ed

I lied!

I lied! No not about my taxes. I could still become secretary Health and Human Services, or head of the Fed. Gino's East is on the SOUTH side of Higgins. the closest route would be to get off the EL, walk up and over through the enclosed crossover, thru the hotel parking lot and into the restaurant.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm going to miss it this year :cry .

Could someone help out and drool on some hardware for me.

:buds

Oh, well

I just learned this AM that my son is coming in from grad school for a visit this weekend so I guess I will see all of you on the road (in my mirrors!).

have a great show!

Back