• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Shock Sticker shock

R

rsrhouse_123

Hello,

The rear shock on my 93 k1100 Lt is in need of either a replacement or a rebuild.
It is OEM , but the prices of replacements that I have found are more than what I
consider reasonable. Is the rear shock rebuildable? If so where would I get the
parts. Is there alternatives to the $300 - to $1000 replacements? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

Cost -

All I can figure is that rear shocks for these machines are essentially hand built, as compared to even the best struts for cars which are a fraction of the prices that have you 'shocked'.:dunno

I use the Works rear shock on my 85 k100RS. I don't think that the OEM units are rebuildable. The good news is that the aftermarket units are rebuildable and offer better performance than OE.

K1100 shock

E-mail this guy " Manfred von Heyda [vonheyda@hotmail.co.uk] "

He's working on a shock for the K series. Follow the tech site on the K11OG web site too. Maybe get a group buy going?
He has an interesting story, I'm going to try one of his shocks in a month or so.

Hello,

The rear shock on my 93 k1100 Lt is in need of either a replacement or a rebuild.
It is OEM , but the prices of replacements that I have found are more than what I
consider reasonable. Is the rear shock rebuildable? If so where would I get the
parts. Is there alternatives to the $300 - to $1000 replacements? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

Motorcycle shocks have always been expensive. They need to be very high performance, and are produced in very, very small numbers relative to shocks for cars. Having said that, you have the price range right. There's nothing I know of for your bike below about $300. For the best bang for relatively low bucks, I'd look at YSS, Works, and Progressive - in that order.

Back