Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spline lube on r65

wxpotts

Spline lube on r65

who knows how to keep the drive shart from rotating while i loosen the universal joint bolts??

Any other good tips I should know about when doing this spline lube job??

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wxpotts View Post
    who knows how to keep the drive shart from rotating while i loosen the universal joint bolts??

One, step on the rear brake pedal. Sounds like you're removing the transmission. If you were inclined to just clean and lube the splines, you could loosen the tranny-to-case bolts, along with the swingarm, and slide the whole mess back about 1.5 inches.

Two, do have/need the special socket to loosen the swingarm pins? Do you have the allen wrench to fit on a socket so you can retighten the pins? Do you have a good torque wrench?

Three, there's a good website or two that will provide good details on what to do. A couple of places to check:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/spline/ (for a monoshock R65)
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

First gear;

1st gear usually works quite well for locking the shaft. What lube are you going to use? I may change my spline lube I've been using. I've heard "Honda Moly60" is a good lube, but don't know from experience with this product. Anybody else use this stuff on input splines, around clutches? Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    1st gear usually works quite well for locking the shaft. What lube are you going to use? I may change my spline lube I've been using. I've heard "Honda Moly60" is a good lube, but don't know from experience with this product. Anybody else use this stuff on input splines, around clutches? Randy
    I have used Honda Moly 60 on all of my old bikes. It seems to stay in place and definitely lasts longer than BMW's red #10 grease. I use it on the wheel splines also. I think I paid about $12 for a small tube of it at the Honda shop, and Ted Porter carries it as well.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I have used Honda Moly 60 on all of my old bikes. It seems to stay in place and definitely lasts longer than BMW's red #10 grease.

... which hasn't been recommended for years.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    What hasn't been recommended in years...Honda Moly 60 or BMW #10?

And who hasn't recommended it?

Put it in gear and also step on the rear brake pedal.

I don't know the maintenance history of your R65, but you might want to consider a new main seal, a new transmission input shaft seal and a new oil pump cover O-ring while you have it apart.

As for cleaning and lubing the splines, that is best done with the transmission off and out of the way. You really want to brush and scrape away the old deposits.

Here are a few pics from my BMW Main Seal & Clutch Install. Some of it might be helpful.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Nice pictures of your work. Very thorough.

What did/do you use to clean the engine block?
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quote Originally Posted by AnnapolisAirhead View Post
    Nice pictures of your work. Very thorough.
    Trust me, its a burden! I wish I could do things half assed...its less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnapolisAirhead View Post
    What did/do you use to clean the engine block?
    I get my cleaning solutions from Swish Maintenance. I've been using Facto AT30 (formerly called Indo 505) since the mid 80s. This is the best cleaner/degreaser I've ever come across and its is 100% safe on all motorcycle surfaces that I've used this product on. This product is water based and has a pH of 12.9.

But this one time they gave me a sample of a product that was used for brightening up aluminium dump truck and trailer boxes. It worked incedible well on most types of aluminium; on one type, it darkened the aluminium. I think it may have been Facto AT34. This product has a pH < 1.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    What hasn't been recommended in years...Honda Moly 60 or BMW #10?

And who hasn't recommended it?
    I guess the BMW #10, as I've never even heard of it. Everyone seems to recommend the Honda 60.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    I guess the BMW #10, as I've never even heard of it.
    The BMW #10 has been around for ages. I bought my first tube back in 1995 shortly after the product came out.

A BMW dealer way back then gave me some Texaco Starplex 2 which is what they were using. It looked and felt identical to the BMW #10.

i bought some;

Honda Moly60 a while back, but have not used it on the tranny splines yet and do not want to find out the hard way, when my clutch slips with it coming off. I've heard good though, about the stuff and bought it for my old Beemer. Soon enough, I'll find out. My last experience, lubing my clutch splines, I got a slippery clutch for a few miles, until the last lube I used migrated across the friction plate. It did and I got lucky, as the clutch came back to life after a few miles of hard use. Moly60 this time and I hope to not repeat the last experience. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I'm sure Kent means the #10 grease. It was a current recommendation when I bought it about a dozen years ago to use on my R60/2. As I only work on a few bikes (the old ones that there isn't anyone else around who works on them), I had that tube for a long time. But it became clear from the wheel splines that it didn't last long, and when I started hearing about Honda Moly 60, I tried that with good success.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

+1 on the Honda Moly 60 stuff.

Also, just put it on the transmission input shaft splines and just a touch on the tip of the clutch push rod. don't put any inside the clutch/friction disk/carrier hub splines or you will be more likely to end up pushing a gob of it inward where it can end up on the clutch or friction disk surfaces. Coat all the input shaft splines (360 degrees around the shaft) but you don't want to get huge gobs of it on there either.
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

You really do not

need to undo drive shaft if you are lubing the transmission to clutch splines.
    However, if you have already loosened those four "male torx" bolts, they cannot be reused.