• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Eilenberger to the white courtesy phone, please

ultracyclist

Per Paul Glaves, you possess a technique of estimating the mileage on bikes by looking at the knurling on the brake pedal.

Please share this with us.

Thank you and Happy New Year

Think of it as an educated WAG.. :dance It undoubtably is more accurate than relying on the odometer of a 1985 model year K unless you've owned it since new.

It involved the wear on the rear brake pedal - the forward outside corner (where you press it the hardest).

No discernable wear - under 20k miles. By 20k, the nubbies are starting to show some difference from the unworn ones on the diagonally opposite corner.

Some smoothing - they aren't as sharp feeling as they used to be - 20-40k miles.

Smoothing of the tops, but less than 30% worn, 40-60k miles.

More than 50% worn, but still distinct nubbies - 60-100k miles.

Nubbies almost gone on that corner - can be anywhere over 100k miles.

This is based on observing quite a few K bikes where I knew what the mileage was (despite what the odometer said.) Problem with odometers was rampant on the '85 model year bikes, and not hugely better on '86-87. I think by 1990 the reliability had increased markedly.

This is a case where "YMMV" - and it most certainly will.

HTH,

medium_sherlock-holmes.jpg

Let's play Guess my mileage...

Hi Don,

Here's a photo of my original brake pedal on my '95 K75RT:

448557333_UGVrp-L.jpg

What's My Mileage?

What on Earth have I started?

I propose:
---a new column in the ON called "What' on your pedal?". Members (contestants?) submit pics of their brake pedals and the columnist guesses the mileage.

---a new event at the national. Eilenberger guesses the mileage. The difference between the actual vs the guess is worth a buck a mile. The owner of the bike will donate that sum to the MOA Foundation. If Ellenberger guesses to within 2k miles of the actual, then he buys beers for everyone within a 100 meter radius of the event venue at the national. What could be more fair?

Be a bit easier to tell with a photo of the front outside edge nubbies. That's where the wear really shows.

Hmm... I like the contest idea for the national, lemme see if the MOA will pay for the beers... :laugh

Hmmm

I think my wife is lying about her age. She doesn't have a brake pedal soooo...

Delicate question.

What do you need?

Back