• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

back support for rt

rayma60927

does anyone have any ideas for back support on a rt12. i tried a bak-up backrest but i did not like how the support came up between the 2 seats which caused me pain in the tailbone. i hate to spend big bucks on a new seat with backrests. thanks

I have the Back-up back rest also but it is off of the bike as it does not seem to do much on the RT's lean forward rider's posotion. It does take up room also.
I just don't think that a back rest works well on the RT..

Well it works for me

I have a Russell Front and Rear Seat and really enjoy the Russell Back rest. So does my riding buddy who has the same setup. We both ride R1200RT's.

I have the Back-up back rest also but it is off of the bike as it does not seem to do much on the RT's lean forward rider's posotion. It does take up room also.
I just don't think that a back rest works well on the RT..
:thumb But on longer rides I still use it to give relief when I change positions. I also have it set for a pretty laid back position, since the back armor pushes me forward when the Bakup is on the bike.

I had a Bakup backrest... used it for a trip from Houston to New York... then back... in a two week period. Normally, a recipe for disaster when you have a bad back like me... However, combine it with some nice raised footpegs that allow you to lift and extend the legs... a world of difference!

My suggestion... it is not so much the backrest.... but the leg position that needs to be addressed. This will shift your body position to allow a more relaxed riding experience.

btw... now have a Corbin backrest... still no problems despite the lach of adjustment... I really think it was the leg position that was affecting my spine location.

Thanks...

Another view on back support

I'll probably be scorned for saying this, but first hand experience as an RT rider and knowing a little muscle physiology have made one thing clear. The RT riding position demands strong core/abdominal muscles. With a weak core, more stress is placed on your back and hence you feel pain and the need to prop it up for support. If you're inclined, check out some very easy exercises. Here's another on the link between core strength and back pain. Your body came with a back support. It's your core muscles (e.g., abdominal).

Back