• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Compare 03 f650 with new twin f650 2009

ross21710

I would like input from experienced riders who have comparison information, Specifically:
Weight
Aftermarket accessories available, (Iam not seeing much on the Chain Gang site yet)
Power at hiway cruising speed, the single revs high and seems to be working hard at speed, 70-80+
Gas mileage
Handling
Thanks!

the 3 I've found..

If you can't burn an entire day on the three below ... you're not trying... :laugh

1) http://f800riders.org

2) http://www.advrider.com

3) http://www.ukgser.com

Short answers (I have the F650 twin) would be:

Lots less vibration

it is a bit heavier

Significantly more power -- on paper I think it is about 20HP?
My last ride was a 250cc but I test drove the 650XCountry & the twin and found the single not so nice for road use...
If I was going to have just a "play bike" for wkend messing around off-road I'd get the single for sure, but I can only afford one bike so ...

Geared stiffer (less revs) - 70mph is about 4K rpm, some people are dropping 1 or 2 teeth on front sprocket the F800GS is geared lower than the "650" twin.

MPG ... like most bikes drops of quickly at speeds over about 60-65 and/or when you are having real fun...
If I was going for max. mileage doing easy driving less than 70mph I think I could pull 65 mpg covering reasonably flat ground...

I like the handling ... the single is a bit more maneuverable and is narrower....but having ridden both, I could not get used to the buzzy-ness of the single at highway speeds and felt I needed a few more ponies...

I have been very happy with my twin so far!

Jim

PS: As the percentage of dirt riding goes up, the single would be come more attractive, vice-versa for the twin esp. for longer road trips IMHO... ;-)

Last edited:
I had a single ('03 GS) with over 33000 miles on it when I sold it. If I could have only one bike, that would be it.

I test rode the F650 twin and it was very comfortable. I understand that the F650 twin does not have the false exhaust that the F650 single had. So a different set paniers is required for the twin for those who may consider upgrading.

Back