Thread: Compare 03 f650 with new twin f650 2009

On the Road

Compare 03 f650 with new twin f650 2009

I would like input from experienced riders who have comparison information, Specifically:
    Weight
    Aftermarket accessories available, (Iam not seeing much on the Chain Gang site yet)
    Power at hiway cruising speed, the single revs high and seems to be working hard at speed, 70-80+
    Gas mileage
    Handling
    Thanks!

Wouldn't count on seeing much on Chaingang. They are dedicated to the 650 single not the twin. Try the F800 sites.

On the Road
    OK, will look there, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beemergirl View Post
    Wouldn't count on seeing much on Chaingang. They are dedicated to the 650 single not the twin. Try the F800 sites.
    Welcome to the boards!
    Ken Insley: Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not so fast that you worry about crashing Everyone's pace is different, find your pace and ride it. You'll be stressed if you ride too fast and bored/distracted if you ride to slow.

the 3 I've found..

If you can't burn an entire day on the three below ... you're not trying...

1) http://f800riders.org

2) http://www.advrider.com

3) http://www.ukgser.com

Short answers (I have the F650 twin) would be:

Lots less vibration

it is a bit heavier

Significantly more power -- on paper I think it is about 20HP?
    My last ride was a 250cc but I test drove the 650XCountry & the twin and found the single not so nice for road use...
    If I was going to have just a "play bike" for wkend messing around off-road I'd get the single for sure, but I can only afford one bike so ...

Geared stiffer (less revs) - 70mph is about 4K rpm, some people are dropping 1 or 2 teeth on front sprocket the F800GS is geared lower than the "650" twin.

MPG ... like most bikes drops of quickly at speeds over about 60-65 and/or when you are having real fun...
    If I was going for max. mileage doing easy driving less than 70mph I think I could pull 65 mpg covering reasonably flat ground...

I like the handling ... the single is a bit more maneuverable and is narrower....but having ridden both, I could not get used to the buzzy-ness of the single at highway speeds and felt I needed a few more ponies...

I have been very happy with my twin so far!

Jim

PS: As the percentage of dirt riding goes up, the single would be come more attractive, vice-versa for the twin esp. for longer road trips IMHO... ;-)
    Last edited by jimbob59; 01-11-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: and dirt vs. street comment

I had a single ('03 GS) with over 33000 miles on it when I sold it. If I could have only one bike, that would be it.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

I test rode the F650 twin and it was very comfortable. I understand that the F650 twin does not have the false exhaust that the F650 single had. So a different set paniers is required for the twin for those who may consider upgrading.