• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 660

Looks like the 660 still doesn't have what I wanted to have on my 550, Freeway Avoidance Routing. I hate riding on Interstates, and my Garmin always wants to direct me that way. Magellan's have this capability. Don't know how well it works, but I would love to have the option.:scratch

Isn't that a function of the MapSource software ?

Isn't that a function of the MapSource software ?

Mapsource does offer this capability but several models (276C included) offer "route preferences" for GPS based routing that would include avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" etc.

Mapsource does offer this capability but several models (276C included) offer "route preferences" for GPS based routing that would include avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" etc.

IIRC, my car-used StreetPilot i5, nuvi 680, nuvi 770, and a formerly owned BMW Zumo on my lemon-status F800S, all had/have "route preferences" or "map preferences" for GPS based travels to avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" and more, i.e., "toll roads". I cannot imagine that Garmin omitted this on any of the newer units.

Looks like the 660 still doesn't have what I wanted to have on my 550, Freeway Avoidance Routing. I hate riding on Interstates, and my Garmin always wants to direct me that way. Magellan's have this capability. Don't know how well it works, but I would love to have the option.:scratch

It says it does have this feature if you do the compare with the 550.

This website link shows that it can avoid interstates. Cool. The previous garmin blog website link didn't mention anything about it.

My 550 will avoid "Highways" not interstates, and when I try to use this avoidance it will sometimes totally route me in the opposite direction I want to go, add several hours if not days to a trip. And in some cases it routes me back onto an interstate. I complained to Garmin about this error when I first got my 550, and I just got a generic email in return. This may be their fix.

I could use the Mapsource on laptop to custom make my routes, but I don't take my laptop everywhere I go. And for the price of the gps, why should I have to.

Thanks for letting me rant.

This website link shows that it can avoid interstates. Cool. The previous garmin blog website link didn't mention anything about it.

My 550 will avoid "Highways" not interstates, and when I try to use this avoidance it will sometimes totally route me in the opposite direction I want to go, add several hours if not days to a trip. And in some cases it routes me back onto an interstate. I complained to Garmin about this error when I first got my 550, and I just got a generic email in return. This may be their fix.

I could use the Mapsource on laptop to custom make my routes, but I don't take my laptop everywhere I go. And for the price of the gps, why should I have to.

Thanks for letting me rant.

With all due respect, until you've seen how this unit really operates in its menus, maybe you need to rant somewhere else. :blah

Will the 550 power cable fit the 660, or will I have to lay a new cable on each bike? Stay tuned....

Fred

I just bought a new Zumo 550 at Bestbuy for $486 as they are no longer going to carry the Zumo. Tonight I bought the XM radio antenna for it on Ebay. While I prefer to ride without any radio or MP3 most of the time, having XM on a long trip will be nice. I have been a subscriber since the company first went in business and have it at home, work, my wood shop, my office, my Avalanche, and now my bike. For me, that is a selling point that tips the scale towards the 550.

Back