• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hey! .... You from Joisey?

bobs98

Hey Chromehead !
I'm from Jersey, you from Jersey? What exit?

I don't like that, but I do chuckle a little bit every time I hear it. This can be answered many ways and have many meanings.

New Jersey is known to be the most densely populated state in the Union. There are several distinct regions, with major highways that are known worldwide.

Regions include the Skylands Region in the northwest, Gateway Region in the northeast, Shore Region in the east, Greater Atlantic City Region in the southeast, Southern Shore Region in the south and the Delaware River Region in the southwest.

New Jersey Turnpike is the most heavily traveled road in the country, links the great state of New York and the George Washington Bridge at the northern end to Delaware and the Delaware Memorial Bridge at the southern end.

Garden State Parkway runs from Cape May in the south to the New York Thruway in the north.

Atlantic City Expressway connects Philadelphia and Atlantic City.

Interstate 195 connects Trenton and Belmar at the shore.

We go to the "Shore," not the "Beach." The beach is at the Shore.

New Jersey is the Garden State, known for its vast areas of farmland and outstanding crops, home of the world's best tomatoes and sweet white corn. Apple and peach orchards continue to produce some of the best.

We are not just a suburb of New York and Philadelphia. And we've got some fantastically scenic and twistilicious roads to ride. Less than a day's ride from almost anywhere on the eastern seaboard. A great place to live!

I live outside of Philadelphia, in the Delaware River Region, near Exit 4 of the Turnpike. What about you?

Please add your own area reviews and comments. Someone had to start.

I had to laugh when I read this because I am from Jersey. Grew up in Princeton. I live in south Florida now and have for the past 10 years...but I still consider myself as being from Jersey.

It's so true what you say about we go to the shore..and the beach is at the shore. People in Florida look at me like I'm nuts when I say that and, to be honest, I don't go to the beach in Florida. Why you might ask...well, that's because it's not the SHORE. There's no boardwalk, no vendors...where's my sausage and pepper sandwich? Nope, just can't do it.

I was just in NJ for Thanksgiving and as we were leaving to head back south, I really started to miss it. The scenery, the hills....ahhh I'm getting home sick.

Someday I hope to take my BMW up there and ride all those beautiful twisties.

Bob, I grew up right smack between exits 9 and 10... the New Brunswick/Princeton corridor... New Jersey is a beautiful state, well except for exits :laugh 16,15,14,13. I still go to the Shore!!!

I almost posted this in the Pa thread.

Just this past fall I started going for a ride that I used to do years ago but fell out of the habit. I start from Plainsboro and nead south on Rte 1 then west on I95. I can sprint a little here because it's three lanes and I know where the coppers generally hang out. Then I get off at exit 1 and head north on Rte 29, the River Road. Within three miles I'm passing Titusville and the Washington Crossing State Park, then it's about 12 miles to Lambertville. I don't cross the Delaware here because the traffic going into and through New Hope is usually bad. Instead I stay on the Jersey side keeping the river on my left. (If you want to visit New Hope and see all of the bikes parked along the street, park in Lamberville and walk across the bridge).

I go through Stockton, then Parlsville and just after this the road becomes much less trafficky and it's a 15 mile run up to Frenchtown. It's best in the fall since the leaves are colorful and the view of the river is less obstructed, and I can sprint here a little, but I usually don't want to. There is the Bull Island Park with parking and one of the few walk-across bridges across the river with great views from the middle facing north and south. I can stop in Frenchtown for lunch and then have the ability go re-trace my route back home or cross over to the Pa side and come back south. Each side is nice with great views and little towns, but the Pa roads are not was well maintained as the NJ roads.

Hopefully I'm a littl chilled when I get back as I can go by my house and around the block to the Italian Deli where they have a small expresso bar. When they see me they make up a double while I get out of 1/2 of my riding gear (and everyone else there stares at me). It's about an 85 mile roound trip, perfect for a Saturday or a Sunday afternoon. And there are so many bikers between Titusville and Lambertville that your arm becomes tired waving at them as they go by.

Try this in the spring sometime.

Proud owner of 7 de-merits.

Last edited:
From South Joisey too

Hey Bobs98,
You're right around the "corner". I'm in the Vineland area. Been riding now for six years around 10-12K each year. Started late in life, but I'm glad I started.

I think Salem and Cumberland counties are great close to the Delaware Bay; great for South Jersey. I still prefer the mountains. Did a great trip this past September, 3200 miles to Nova Scotia. Mostly back roads. What a great trip.

Exit 37

Another Jersey guy here...grew up in Hudson County (West New York and North Bergen) now living in Cranford.

I also like that ride from up 529 to Frenchtown; I usually keep going north and wind up on 513, then head all the way north through Pittstown and past 78 then onto 24 east back towards Morristown.

I'm from Jersey! But I live in DE now. I grew up in South Jersey, the land of big hair! Specifically in Williamstown - half way between Philly and Atlantic City. I spent lots of time "down the shore" and that phrase usually gives me away to people in DE who go "to the beach".

I don't care what other folks say about Jersey. Parts of it are really great!

What's strange - I live at the beach (Exit 98, Spring Lake Hts) but we go "down the shore.." (Seaside mostly - once a year or so.. )

Living here is great in the winter, traffic becomes almost acceptable.. but my usual Sunday ride is cut across the state on I-195, pick up Rt 29 through Trenton, stop at the Lambertsville Antique Flea-market, head to Frenchtown for lunch, then swing inland and head sort of south-east through the hilly center of the state down towards Princeton, and then Rt 33 back towards home.

Done right - this can take 4-5 hours and 150 miles.

My longer Sunday rides are up the west side of the state again (as above) but continue on 619, 519, 521 to Port Jervis in NY, reverse direction and come down 519 (dodging deer), cut through Newton, pick up 94, follow it down to Columbia on 46, east on 46 to Rt 31, 31 to I-195 and back home. That makes for a nice 260 mile day.

All of these places can be gotten to more directly - but that's not the point. GOOD roads is the point, and none of these ever disappoint me.

There's a diner in Port Jervis off of Rte.-84 (cannot remember the exit number or the name of diner) that I've been to four times. This says a lot for my memory. Anyways I haven't been in about 5 years now. I will be by there this summer and was going to take a shot on it still being open. I remember you went past a shopping center and the diner was just under a mile from the exit. Are you familiar with it and if so is it still open? thanks in advance.

The PJ exit on I-84 is actually in Milford PA.. it's probably along 209 where it goes through Milford. Dunno since I generally avoid that stretch of road (it gets congested..)

I'm from Jersey, you from Jersey? What exit?

I don't like that, but I do chuckle a little bit every time I hear it. This can be answered many ways and have many meanings.

Please add your own area reviews and comments. Someone had to start.

Hi Bob98, Born in Neptune, NJ and lived in Asbury Park until I was 8 or 9. Live in Vermont now but was mostly raised in Connecticut. We lived three blocks from the beach. Spent the summers on the boardwalk, in the ocean and pool. I think we used 105 on the Parkway. Still got cousins in Jersey. I visit occasionally to the Middletown area. I was stationed in Delaware for four years so I got to know the Turnpike by heart back and forth to Ct.
George Carlin or Gallagher had a interesting thought about parkways, "why do we drive on the parkway yet we park in the driveway?". Good question.:brad

Keep 'em coming!

Took a very scenic ride up to Colors in the Catskills in October. The Jersey part was slab up I-295 around Trenton. Rt 29 north thru Lambertville and Stockton, then Co Rt 519 all the way up to Rt 23 and over High Point State Park and into Port Jervis. What an excellent ride. Lots of changing scenery, elevation and beautiful road surfaces. (The ride up Rt 97 thru Hawks Nest and Rt 55 / 19 / 157 / 47 / 42 and 23A to Hunter was pretty nice, too. But this is about Jersey, right?)

Coming back, I rode (Co Rt 214, 28, 28A and 42 thru NY were also spectacular) back to Port Jervis, then picked up Co Rt 653 to 521 south until it ran back into 519. Continued to US 46 east then south on NJ 31 back to I-295 south and home. 521 and 519 thru Sussex and Warren counties offer lots of scenic opportunities and twisty roads that many would be surprised to find in the Garden State.

I also like to ride out thru the Pine Barrens, Chatsworth, Batsto, Lakehurst and points east. There are LOTS of great roads to ride in our great state!

I'm not from Jersey but my mom and dad were. I have an elderly aunt that lives in Hampton, near Washington in NW Jersey. I'm always surprised at how rural the area still is given that it's only 60 or so miles from the city. I stand to inherit her home and have wondered about actually retiring in Hampton; a big change from my current home in Alaska. Have to admit that I'm scared by the taxes I see my aunt having to pay and the level of big brother government I perceive; am I wrong?:dunno

I have a Brother that lives in South Jersey. I've never been there because the crime rate is so high, and I'd have to park my bike on the street. That ain't happenin!!! I did travel to Linden, New Jersey last January to purchase my RT. :dance

Halfway between Princeton and New Brunswick

I've lived in Jersey for most of my life with stints in PA for some college and Fla while in the Navy. I've only had my 02 RT since last March and have only traveled a few of the roads mentioned here. I generally try to rider her to work down in Lawrenceville which runs 20 mi each way. Center Princeton gets a bit touchy at rush hour.

This summer, the wife and I cruised some county roads (527-528) down to Cinnaminson for the XPN festival (Camden). The next morning, we rode cross state to Point Pleasant for lunch and home before dinner.

We camped up at Bull Island this October and I rode the bike there (Wife drove the 'burban with the pop-up and chillies.) I had a soccer game to coach that Sat in Hightstown - why not take the RT there and back? That was a nice ride! Cruising to Frenchtown was also a nice treat!

Looking forward to doing the lighthouse tour - hopefully this spring.

I have a Brother that lives in South Jersey. I've never been there because the crime rate is so high, and I'd have to park my bike on the street. That ain't happenin!!! I did travel to Linden, New Jersey last January to purchase my RT. :dance
I suspect if you ever DID go there you might be surprised. If he isn't in Camden, the rest of the state has a low crime rate, and parts of Southern NJ are places where people don't have locks on their doors.

Linden probably isn't the best place to get an impression of NJ, but unfortunately - lots of people only see whats alongside the Turnpike, and that's NJ to them. More their loss.

Looking forward to doing the lighthouse tour - hopefully this spring.

When you reach Cape May, consider taking the ferry over to Lewes, DE and circle back north. There are some nice back roads in "lower slower DE" that will lead you north to Route 9.

Back