• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windscreen Whistle - ZTechnik

leadfoot

I would like to hear if anyone else has a windscreen whistle from their ZTechnik V-Stream windshield (standard height). Just installed on my RT, the thing picks up a whistle at Interstate speed 70-80 with the screen set with me looking just over the shield. Problem is that this is the normal riding position for me. I have an N102 and will have to wait till the weather warms before trying my open face. I did not have this whistle with my stock screen. Anyone had this issue? If so, what was the fix?

I like the wind management improvement, but I am not sure if I will like the whistle over a long ride.

Thanks

Whisle

I also have the same screen on my '07 and never heard a whisle at any speed. I wear ear plugs and there may be a low frequency whisle that I can't hear. Have you made any other changes to the bike? Perhaps you have some fairing repositioned...

The ZTechnik Vstream on my '06RT whistles only when in the lowest possible position. The whistling starts around 25~30 mph but quickly disappears when I raise it a few inches - which is the most comfortable height for me. With an open face helmet (somewhat chilly today!) I can both comfortably see over it at that height, and yet avoid excessive wind at speeds of 40 mph and higher.
Tom

Thanks for the replies. No fairing changes, bike is stock. I did flip up the helmet thinking it was the N102, but no change. I have not had much chance to ride due to weather, but when I do I think I will lay a piece of tape across the upper lip if the screen. I put my hand up there and seemed to interrupt the whistle. My thoughts are that it might have to do with the squared edge of the screen. If so I can just get some 600 grit paper and round the edge a little. We will see & let ya'll know.

I have the stock windscreen and a Shoei Multitech.

I get that whistle with the screen all the way up, which puts it a few inches below my line of sight and the wind blast hitting the top half of the helmet.

In my case, the whistle is a function of how the wind is hitting the faceshield. I ride with it barely open in cold weather to prevent fogging.

I hope to be getting a new windscreen next month that is about 4" taller to block the wind a little better, and have been considering the V-stream.

I got to ride a little today, and wore my open face. Seems the helmet is not the issue. I tried to place my hand in different positions along the lip of the screen in order to interrupt the airflow, but could not stop it. After some thought, I realized that I had installed theTouratech engine guards at the same time. Maybe they are whistling. I cannot seem to interrupt the airflow on them, so I guess I will eliminate the Ztechnik screen by reinstalling the stock screen and see if it goes away. Please do not think me as anal, I just gotta know where it is coming from, then I will either live with it or eliminate it......but I just gotta know!!!!:banghead

Still no fix!

I started this thread a ways back. Surprisingly I did not have much input, and assume that no one has had this problem. After waiting a bit, I contacted Ztechnik. I received a quick reply from Jeff at National Cycle. We discussed any other mods to the bike that might affect the airflow, and the only mod I had was a shelf that I made for the dash. After removing it, the whistle still exists. After attempting some other things to find the source, Jeff's final suggestion was to cut an opening in the screen similar to the Concours. After much thought I decided this was not the answer. I bought the screen second hand, but it is in perfect condition. I was hoping Jeff would suggest that I send the screen to them for inspection, but I am guessing since I did not buy it from them they did not feel obligated. I really like the protection that this screen affords, but the whistle is so bad at 80 mph that it sometimes hurts my left ear. Regrettfully it looks like I may have to return to the old screen. I really would like to hear from anyone with experience with this problem, or has a good suggestion of a way to rid the whistle.

I can place my hand in the forward area of the screen between the dash and the screen and interrupt the whistle. The noise is at its worst at 80mph, or lower speeds with a headwind. There are no mods to the stock bike forward of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jim

Windscreen Whistle

Leadfoot,
I changed my screen to a Cee Bailey, in an attempt to reduce the buffiting my wife experiences when we ride two up, and I also have a whistle. It is most noticable when the screen is in the down position, But the whistle is always there. I actually have been thinking about getting a different screen. If you find the problem please let me know.

Leadfoot,
I changed my screen to a Cee Bailey, in an attempt to reduce the buffiting my wife experiences when we ride two up, and I also have a whistle. It is most noticable when the screen is in the down position, But the whistle is always there. I actually have been thinking about getting a different screen. If you find the problem please let me know.

Trust me, when I find it....and I will, I will post it!

Thanks

I have the same windscreen and experience a slight whistle only just on/off the lowest possible setting and, even then, not at all speeds.

Whistle

07 RT Same Shield Nolan N102 no whistle. I had a KBC Helmet that whistled under the right conditions. I pulled the pad away and found little pieces of foam and paint in the vent holes, cleaned up the holes no whistle. Worth checking.

Thanks for the input all. Sounds like it is an isolated problem that I happen to be stuck with. For some background, I have ridden with my Open Face helmet, and the whistle was still there, so I have eliminated the Nolan as a suspect. This has me in a quandary, I removed the screen yesterday and cleaned it, also checking attachments. Everything seemed fine. I did notice that when I installed the outer covers for the screen that there was some chaffing outside of the contact area where my covers were. Further investigating revealed that the past owner had mistakingly installed the covers on the wrong sides, which can be done if they are flipped upside down. I do not know how it was not realized, as the covers do not fit exactly flat to the screen when done this way. I flipped the left one over and placed it on the right side and it matched the chaff marks. Just a note, the part numbers under the covers do have a "L" and an "R".

I am going to ride tomorrow, and see if I can isolate the whistle with my hand. Will post my findings....if any. If no luck looks like I will have to see if the stock screen produces the whistle. Bets are that it will not, but we'll see.:scratch

Thanks again for the input!

I have the same windscreen and I use a Shoei Multitech. I get the whistle sound around 70 mph with the screen raised about 4 inches. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. I guess it depends if there is a crosswind.

Sounds like the answer for me might be earplugs. First I am gonna put the stock screen on and see if it is still there. If not, I guess I will put it back on and just wear plugs on a long haul. I will post my end-result either way in case I do find it.

Thanks all!

Jim.. it sounds like you isolated the problem when you placed your hand into the position behind the screen. A lot of screens have a low pressure area behind them where air swirls around in an eddy current (or stall buffet for pilots). The CalSci screens have openings in them to eliminate this effect.

It sounds like you have a peculiar situation where the area behind the screen is setting up a whistle effect that might be eliminated by making a vent opening to break the vacuum area. If you have some plastic pipe, say, 1.5 inch pvc and some 45 or 90 degree elbows you can rig up a temporary fixture to dump ram air into the area and see if it stops the whistle. If it does, you can cut some vents into the screen down low, like the CalSci screens, that would fix the issue.

One of the nice things I like about the CalSci design is that it almost totally eliminated the helmet buffeting I was experiencing with other screens. My boss lady also noticed the difference.

2008 R1200RT with Ztech Vstream. Wouldn't leave home without it. Schuberth Helmut. No noise except a little wind without the earplugs. Did you add any after market mirrors? Possible source.

Jack

Back