Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Big 3 are where they are now...

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Whatever works for you. The bottom line is minimal cost per mile.

And I think when one looks at the big picture, the answer is quite clear.
    That's exactly why I drive my Fords and a Chevy. I'm a stupid old economics major who figures in all of the expenses rather than believing the crap I hear and read. I started out pennyless and retired at 55 debt free on a single modest income. I must be doing something right. I retired five and a half years ago and my nest egg has grown (slightly).

THE ANSWER IS QUITE CLEAR.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rally Rat
    GlobalRider,

That's an interesting avatar for someone singing the praises of japanese cars.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    THE ANSWER IS QUITE CLEAR.
    You can say that again.

Owning Japanese cars has let me go on 14 motorcycle tours of the Alps in a row. I'd sooner spend my money on tours than on endless car repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    GlobalRider,

That's an interesting avatar for someone singing the praises of japanese cars.
    Yeah, its a cute one that I have stuck to that "thing" hanging off the final drive of my oilhead. Gets the Japanese riders going after they figure out what it means.

Unfortunately, I think my KLR 650 got a glimpse of it as it hasn't run since I got back from a trip in 2003.

I choose to ride a BMW. That doesn't mean I think it is more reliable than a Honda, and if Honda produced something exactly like my GS, I'd probably own it.

Sure I'll buy a car from the big 3. All they have to do is give it to me and if I feel I got 10 to 15 years of trouble free service from it, I'll pay them for it then. When companies have to use slogans like "Qulaity is Job 1" and "Mark of Excellence", you have to wonder.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

So far in 7 years of Chevy truck ownership all I needed were 3 sets of tires (salt and sun dry-rots them before the tread is done... ) oil and filter changes and a set of parkingbrake pads. I only drive the truck for work and although it only has 80K miles I can't complain.
    IMHO the problem for American vehicles is the perception that they still are the same crap that came from Detroit in the 80's and early 90's. Things have changed a lot and in the case of fuel economy, Chevy trucks beat anything the competition makes, foreign or domestic in the same size class. The Japanese still can't make a full size truck for the way we use them here in the US. Just look at what you see on farms and construction zones. I don't see too many 5th wheeltrailers hitched to a Tundra..
    Are Japanese vehicles good?? Yes, but don't dismiss the domestics too easily..Just my 2 cts..
    Last edited by riderR1150GSAdv; 12-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    So far in 7 years of Chevy truck ownership all I needed were 3 sets of tires (salt and sun dry-rots them before the tread is done... ) oil and filter changes and a set of parkingbrake pads. I only drive the truck for work and although it only has 80K miles I can't complain.
    IMHO the problem for American cars is the perception that they still are the same crap that came from Detroit in the 80's and early 90's. Things have changed a lot and in the case of fuel economy, Chevy trucks beat anything the competition makes, foreign or domestic in the same size class. The Japanese still can't make a full size truck for the way we use them here in the US. Just look at what you see on farms and construction zones. I don't see too many 5th wheeltrailers hitched to a Tundra..
    Are Japanese vehicles good?? Yes, but don't dismiss the domestics too easily..Just my 2 cts..
    There is such a huge difference between US built trucks and US built cars as to make talking about them in the same paragraph almost meaningless. If one looks at the recent history of the US auto industry, the current Achilles heel leading to today's plight is the heavy investment in plant to build trucks and SUVs at the expense of a lineup of fuel efficient cars. If the US industry had put as much in cars as they put in trucks and big SUVs they would not be where they are today. GM had it right with the early Saturns but then abandoned everything that made them special, and competitive with the Asian imports, and started making them as re-badged Chevys or something. And the old saw about "making what we want" isn't true either. Ford managed to stay profitable by making money on trucks and losing money on cars. And many folks who wanted cars bought Asian cars by the boatload.

As for Tundras - we see lots of them pulling 5th wheel trailers here in the Big Bend. Even some of them pulling stock trailers and other stuff on the ranches.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I got to weigh in on this. IMO the absolute best value in a sport type car today is hands down a Mustang GT with 4.6L V8. My '07 GT gets 28 MPG on the road and the quality of construction is second to none. Oh, and it is one classy ride as well. The new Dodge Challenger would be my second choice although it does weigh more than the 'Stang and comes with much healthier price tag. For a light truck the Chev Silverado or F150 has no competition from any foreign maker, period!

I owned a Toyota Corolla POS once and never again! The thing suffered bent valves and was manufactured with a defective cylinder head. I will admit that Toyota never charged me anything to fix it and did extend the warranty but every 6K miles it was either bent valves or blown head gasket. I found out about the defective head after I had traded the POS for an F150. Oh, and if I lived in the rust belt I would never ever think about a Japanese car and made in China?? Not likely
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Rally Rat
    [QUOTE=GlobalRider;403043] Sure I'll buy a car from the big 3. All they have to do is give it to me and if I feel I got 10 to 15 years of trouble free service from it, I'll pay them for it then. QUOTE]

It's a safe bet you're not holding BMW and Honda to those terms. As long as you maintain such different standards, it's apparent which end of your signature line quote you fall under.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    "German engineering, Swiss innovation, American nothing."
    Thankyou

That's a keeper!
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

- Adversting slogan used on a billboard in South Africa by Daimler to promote its Smart "forfour" compact car.
    But wasn't there a country somewhere that invented the light bulb, cotton gin, telephone, assembly line, etc. Didn't this same country walk on the moon and have something to do with the Atomic Bomb. I might have been dreaming.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    But wasn't there a country somewhere that invented the light bulb, cotton gin, telephone, assembly line, etc. Didn't this same country walk on the moon and have something to do with the Atomic Bomb. I might have been dreaming.
    Telephone, Canada.

Splitting the Atom was impressive, but its end use wasn't. I would actually think that is a matter of national shame.

The big Detroit Three, will continue to spiral until the UAW and CAW are disbanded. I do not agree with, or support my governments decision to give money to the Auto Industry here in Canada. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have no chance of turning operations profitable, AND have a fighting chance at sustainability. I'm afraid the Japanese own the modern Auto market. I actually just ordered a Ford F250, not because I want to support that company, but because Toyota doesn't yet have a 3/4 ton truck. You can bet though, when Toyota announces their throwing a hat in that market segment the end of GM and Ford is certain. I know of a few contractors that have switched to the Tundra; I've yet to hear one complain. That's a lie, I actually did hear my Duct Work guy complain that he no longer gets to have those unexpected maintenance issues pop-up. Said he missed seeing the mechanic.

After owning Japanese (built in Canada and the US), cars and trucks I can honestly say I have no idea why people, other then not finding a vehicle for a specific problem; snow plowing in my case, would even consider buying a GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Jap cars built here in N.A. buy Americans (Canadians) are still of a better level of quality then American cars and trucks built in America (Canada), by the UAW and CAW. IMHO.

IMHO, the commonality to the domestic auto maker is the Union. Personally, I always try to buy non union products whenever possible.
    Last edited by DwayneH; 12-27-2008 at 03:40 PM.

- Adversting slogan used on a billboard in South Africa by Daimler to promote its Smart "forfour" compact car.
    It should read..."German engineering, Swiss innovation, American money"

Easy

Ozonkiller
    If you want to debate the "cost per mile" or the "cost over the life of the vehicle", the secret isn't whether you buy foriegn vs. domestic, it's whether you buy new vs. used.

At the risk of offending many, I think you're outta your mind to buy a brand new car.

I've owned both foriegn and domestic cars. I had one Chevy that was an absolute nightmare and a Toyota Camry that surprised me by being less than stellar.

Tom

Oroville, Washington, USA - 48.93472,-119.43833

Bell a Canadian, not really.

Bell was from Scotland, moved to Canada and was living in the U.S. when he invented the telephone. He became a naturalized citizen of the United States who said,"I am not one of those hyphenated Americans who claim allegiance to two countries." So I guess he was a Scott who moved with his family to Canada and then moved to the United States where he worked in Boston, returning to Canada for the summers. Maybe we should just go with North American.

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneH View Post
    Telephone, Canada.

Splitting the Atom was impressive, but its end use wasn't. I would actually think that is a matter of national shame.

The big Detroit Three, will continue to spiral until the UAW and CAW are disbanded. I do not agree with, or support my governments decision to give money to the Auto Industry here in Canada. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have no chance of turning operations profitable, AND have a fighting chance at sustainability. I'm afraid the Japanese own the modern Auto market. I actually just ordered a Ford F250, not because I want to support that company, but because Toyota doesn't yet have a 3/4 ton truck. You can bet though, when Toyota announces their throwing a hat in that market segment the end of GM and Ford is certain. I know of a few contractors that have switched to the Tundra; I've yet to hear one complain. That's a lie, I actually did hear my Duct Work guy complain that he no longer gets to have those unexpected maintenance issues pop-up. Said he missed seeing the mechanic.

After owning Japanese (built in Canada and the US), cars and trucks I can honestly say I have no idea why people, other then not finding a vehicle for a specific problem; snow plowing in my case, would even consider buying a GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Jap cars built here in N.A. buy Americans (Canadians) are still of a better level of quality then American cars and trucks built in America (Canada), by the UAW and CAW. IMHO.

IMHO, the commonality to the domestic auto maker is the Union, Personally, I always try to buy non union products whenever possible.
    Last edited by Oldhway; 12-27-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Quote changed to Original posters edit.

[QUOTE=DwayneH;403186]Telephone, Canada.
    Splitting the Atom was impressive, but its end use wasn't. I would actually think that is a matter of national shame. QUOTE]

I don't think so. It ended a nasty war that would of killed millions more, some Canadian, and while not ending war, it has keep the scale of them down. Also Nuclear energy has provided millions with a cheap and clean source of energy that will last until these other non-pollution sources of power come on-line.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com