• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are they legal in all 50 states?

Steve, where did you purchase the yellow bulbs at?? They look like they would solve a lot of problems.

Motolights will sell you amber bulbs... at about $17.50 each:bolt

Or you can go to bulbamerica.com and get them for about $2.50. NB: I never actually used the amber bulbs from bulbamerica.com as I got rid of my motolights before I needed new bulbs. The specs match what I got from Motolights, though... 12V, 50W, 12?? beam spread, etc.

Which leads to the 2nd note... the amber lights are great for daylight conspicuity, but the 12?? beam spread means they have to be aimed pretty low for night use (or turned off).

// marc

On the modulator issue, My feeling is if it bothers the other driver, then he DOES see you! But on the other hand I only use it in traffic, on the open road I turn it off.

And yes it does work, I have had cars at intersections actualy back up a little when they see me.

I also run a set of Motolites as daytime running lights plus a set of LED aux tail lights and flashing LED brake lights. I have also added a K-Tail 2 tail light enhancement kit to the back and Runnin Lights to the front turn signals.

I have been rear ended and I feel that you can't be too conspicuous.

I had a coworker see me go by on the way to work one morning, still dark, he said I looked like a locomotive going by. That's the idea.

Rod

Motolights will sell you amber bulbs... at about $17.50 each:bolt

Or you can go to bulbamerica.com and get them for about $2.50. NB: I never actually used the amber bulbs from bulbamerica.com as I got rid of my motolights before I needed new bulbs. The specs match what I got from Motolights, though... 12V, 50W, 12?? beam spread, etc.

Which leads to the 2nd note... the amber lights are great for daylight conspicuity, but the 12?? beam spread means they have to be aimed pretty low for night use (or turned off).

// marc

I originally got some from Tina,but at$30 apiece I found alternatives.

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
I believe $8 each for 12 degree 50watt made by USHIO FNC/FG Popstar Yellow 12v HalogenHave run a few sets for many hours without bulb life issues since they also have the lenscover built in and seal well....seem to last a long time! As far as night runing,yeah,you need to adjust a tad,but they do not overwhelm oncoming traffic once you do...They are great conspicuity lights. I use my Hi-beam and/or the Piaas for long distance lighting...I nowadays try to limit that where I live and play.

Also went to local lighting dealer... he could get me some closer to marc's price.

IMHO after 36 years of driving cages, anyone who flashed his lights at me was either telling me " I see you" which meant go ahead and do what you intend to do, or telling me my hi beams were on. Perhaps warning me of a speed trap/hazard ahead. Any other intention, especially by a motorcyclist would be a dangerous assumption on either part. I think the modulator is too confusing and therefore dangerous to rely on.
:brow

cruisin;401639 I also noted that some have multiple headlights said:
laws regarding number and height of lights is a state regulated thing. CO says "4 lights max on a motorcycle", others have their own statutes. modulators, with auto shut-off in dark conditions, are covered under federal regs, which trump state regs every time.

Kissan Modulator

I have one on my high beam. It will only work during daylight hours because of an attached photocell cut-off. The only time I have found it to be annoying to others is at a red light when I'm behind a cage. Then I turn it off to be courteous.

I have seen a huge improvement in others seeing me. They will do a double take and stare, not knowing what I am (police or emergency vehicle).

No, it will not keep you absolutely safe and visible in all situations. When in heavy traffic, I still slow down and cover the brakes just in case.

It has helped when behind a slower vehicle. Most times, they will pull over and let you go by.:D

Henzilla, I'm curious about the Kissan relay. Any idea if it could turn the signal lights on my F800ST (with CANBUS) into running lights?

I do not think they have figured out the CANBUS issues...been waiting ever since I got the 05RT and now the GS...would be nice!...their website might have some info. They work on all the non -canbus bikes I have

http://www.kisantech.com/

I have one on my high beam. It will only work during daylight hours because of an attached photocell cut-off. The only time I have found it to be annoying to others is at a red light when I'm behind a cage. Then I turn it off to be courteous.

I have seen a huge improvement in others seeing me. They will do a double take and stare, not knowing what I am (police or emergency vehicle).

No, it will not keep you absolutely safe and visible in all situations. When in heavy traffic, I still slow down and cover the brakes just in case.

It has helped when behind a slower vehicle. Most times, they will pull over and let you go by.:D

"Ride like you are invisible..............not invincible."

Back