• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warranty Claim Denied By BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had 5 BMW motorcycles, and 2 BMW cars over the last 30 years, All nice equipment. But to say the Japanese have'nt figured it out yet is BS. The only thing the Japanese don't have down, is the snob apeal, and they are alot easyer to get along with when issues come up. How many continuing electrical probblems do the Japanese makers have? How many final drive failures? Damn few. BMW has been making shaft driven motorcycles for a long time, you would think they would have it down by now. I ride BMW motorcycles for the same reasons many on this site do, But it's not because I feel they are superior to anything elce, because it just ain't so.

Ken G.

Pretty much proving the point a number of us tried to make some months ago.. when under warranty, using non-BMW parts/oils may be a false economy. Unless the manufacturer specifies the part is made for your bike, you may have problems if you have a warranty claim that could possibly be caused by using a non-approved part.

+1 :thumb

One of the most important yet overlooked parts on a bike, or car for that matter, is the oil filter.

When you try to save a few bucks on a filter, you usually end up costing yourself much more in the end, especially if your car or bike is in warranty.

Easy :german

Simple answer

Simple answer;
Take your money, buy a good quality good condition reasonable priced used bike of your liking and for what you save warranty your own machine.
Use good quality parts and supplies from the mfg of your choice that meets your machines needs and besides saving money;
You will be riding an older machine (just as much fun) that will also automaticly keep your ego in check :stick And your blood pressure down for more years of fun :thumb
When companies use lawyers to make rules and policies instead of morals making friends out of customers you cant win:dunno
Just my half dimes worth
Jim and Esther

I have had 5 BMW motorcycles, and 2 BMW cars over the last 30 years, All nice equipment. But to say the Japanese have'nt figured it out yet is BS. The only thing the Japanese don't have down, is the snob apeal, and they are alot easyer to get along with when issues come up. How many continuing electrical probblems do the Japanese makers have? How many final drive failures? Damn few. BMW has been making shaft driven motorcycles for a long time, you would think they would have it down by now. I ride BMW motorcycles for the same reasons many on this site do, But it's not because I feel they are superior to anything elce, because it just ain't so. Ken G.

+1 :thumb to that, but it's really a subject for a separate thread.

In this particular case, I can see both sides:
The owner/operator reported the noise before the final breakdown.

We're asked to take his word on this, and that he always used the correct filter in the past. Was he foolish not to use factory parts? No, imprudent maybe. Was he foolish to screw on a filter that wasn't specified for the bike? Yes, why gamble?

The company found an oil filter installed that was not intended for that model bike.

Is the company using that as sole justification for denying warranty coverage? Yes, but they can do that, and it's the easy way out. It's not just about the cost of this engine, it's about keeping the number of warranty claims down and upholding a reputation for building a reliable product by blaming non-BMW service performed with non-BMW parts and materials.

Did the oil filter cause the problem? We'll never know, and neither will BMW. Warranty work is followed up by replaced parts being sent back to the manufacturer for further investigation. If there is a design flaw, or bad batch of parts supplied, that's how they find out and correct it.
Non-warranty work is just work, and if the factory won't pay shipping, the dealer sure won't. Most of this engine will be scrapped and no one will ever learn what went wrong with it.

oil filter issues

I traded a '96 Rt on a new '07 RT last year. In making my trade for the RT that I really love to ride I might add...My battery charger was no longer able to be plugged into my power port, my oil filter wrench for the '06 no longer worked as well. Now I buy the '07 and I need a filter wrench anywhere between $25 and $60 depending where you buy one. I was supposed to buy a new Canbus battery charger but the BMW store mechanic told me to hook up right to the battery with the battery tender plug to save some bucks. Now all the oil filter wrenches around 5-60 bucks for the new RT also. What gives with BMW??

What it is about this "game" of saving a couple of bucks on an oil filter? :scratch Give it up! Pry out the extra bucks to buy the correct filter and pick another battle to fight.

Don't confuse price with cost! :thumb

Hey Mike,you don't have to use the mopar filter to keep your powertrain warranty in effect. * * * One thing they are starting to do is deny warranty on differentials if you don't change the fluid every 16,000 miles.

I know I don't HAVE to use the Mopar oil filter . . . I CHOOSE to use the Mopar filter (it is less than $10 at the dealer) to avoid any question about correct parts during the warranty period. That's the primary point some of us are making.

As for 16,000 mile differential fluid changes, my Jeep Liberty manual does not require changes that often for any type of service. They run between 30,000 and 60,000 miles.

I just logged on to dealer connect and checked the service interval for diff services for a 05 liberty. Every 12000 under schedule B. I would recommend changing the fluid to avoid any problems. Like I said we have denied quite a few diff repairs lately. I use mopar filters too because I get them at a substancial discount. If I didn't I would use Purolator filters. My RT always gets a bmw filter.

I just logged on to dealer connect and checked the service interval for diff services for a 05 liberty. Every 12000 under schedule B.

We're getting a little bit off motorcycle topic, but maybe the logic is relevant to the motorcycle topic.

What is "dealer connect"? My owner's manuals, which specify the service intervals, do NOT say differential fluid changes every 12,000 miles, for any schedule of use. Now, I will grant you that my local dealer's "recommended service" contains a LOT more things, with shorter intervals, than what is contained in the owner's manuals. Are you saying that my owner's manuals are now incorrect as the official Chrysler recommended/required service and maintenance to support my factory warranty?

Again, I'm not talking about what may be a good idea for longer life. I'm talking about what is required to support the factory warranty.

Mike and Bob..

Might I suggest that PM's might be the way to go at this point. It has wandered rather seriously OT.

Thanks!

I'm sorry.Maybe its best if I just read and don't post. I keep forgetting how many rules there are here. I'll try to keep my posts to the absolute minimum in the future.

I'm sorry.Maybe its best if I just read and don't post. I keep forgetting how many rules there are here. I'll try to keep my posts to the absolute minimum in the future.

Bob, post all ya want. I for one love watching threads like this evolve. Sometimes you get some really cool posts with great info/ideas. Of course everyone needs to stay civil at the very least.

Bob, sorry you feel that way - it wasn't my intent to insult you.. but talking about a Jeep warranty on the hexhead list is just a tad off-topic.

Might I suggest that PM's might be the way to go at this point. It has wandered rather seriously OT.

Don, as I said in my post, I agree it was getting a little off topic, but I thought it was still relevant to the issue under discussion about what maintenance and parts you should do to avoid factory warranty claims issues, whether you have a BMW motorcycle or a Jeep. How do you read and interpret the manufacturer's maintenance and repair requirements to keep your warranty valid?

In the thread here, one may think they are using a "better" oil, or an "acceptable" oil filter, but if they are not using what is specified by the manufacturer, then they run a risk.

In the thread here, one may think they are using a "better" oil, or an "acceptable" oil filter, but if they are not using what is specified by the manufacturer, then they run a risk.

The Magnusson - Moss Act makes it illegal for a manufacturer to deny a claim if the replacement parts or materials meet the OEM specifications. This was done to prevent the manufacturer from having a capative market where they could overcharge the owner. Just make sure any replacements meet the OEM specifications.

The original posts on this were not posted on this forum and we have no sign that the originator is on this forum.
When you do look at his posts on the ST forum you will see that

Amsoil said "We have no filter that is currently aprroved for the R1200RT".

When the company that makes the aftermarket filter says they don't make a filter for your bike you don't have much recourse.

The original posts on this were not posted on this forum and we have no sign that the originator is on this forum.
When you do look at his posts on the ST forum you will see that

Amsoil said "We have no filter that is currently aprroved for the R1200RT".

When the company that makes the aftermarket filter says they don't make a filter for your bike you don't have much recourse.

That pretty well ends it now, doesn't it.

That pretty well ends it now, doesn't it.
On the Interweb? :brad

Paul, you've been around longer than that.. outrage and dire threats of never buying a BMW again are bound to continue.

Some posters (here or there.. forget where..) suggested contacting the filter manufacturer to get them to say the filter was OK to use on an R1200 motor. IMHO, that isn't gonna happen since (1) It sticks below the "protection" of the engine sump filter recess (2) If it was holed somehow because of that - and the company said it was OK to use on an R12 engine, they'd be liable..

I would agree this should be the end of the discussion - but bet it isn't... :)

Warranty Claim

Whether the bike had an aftermarket filter or not would seem immaterial to me. If the filter had been the culprit, a crank bearing would have been what wore out, not a piston. This is just a case of BMWNA being petty, and frankly, not knowing much about how engines work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back