• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMWRTGIRL, BoxerGrrlie, and BradfordBenn on the way to the Rally 2004

Day 5 - Shelby to Lunatic Fringe

http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD05.htm

So after exploring Glacier it was time to resuyme our journey to the Great White North and the 17th Annual Rocky Bow Lunatic Fringe Rally in High River, Alberta. The wind was amazingly viscious that day. Literally it was blowing so hard that I was wearing my heated vest, my fleece, and thick gloves because of the wind chill, it was about 90 degrees Farenheit ambient temperature. It was amazingly tiring and trying all at the same time.

Gaining entry into Canada was relatively easy. Getting BMWRTGIRL's bike to start was the interesting part. For some reason after she turned it off at the checkpoint, it would not restart. It appears to be a battery problem. So we let it sit for a while, still no good. Then Boxer Grrlie and I pushed it as BMWRTGIRL popped the clutch. All was good again. So we continued North and in the wind.

As we approached Lethridge there was a detour on Route 2, so we had to take a few gravel roads. Some times though these chances to get off the slab is really worth it. Although I was not real happy about the gravel.

Then it was back on the road,or so we thought. BoxerGrrlie's bike decided it wanted to lose power. A lucky guess happened as we started to look for the fuse box. I noticed that some of the connections to the batteries were not great, and the first one I tried happened to be the one that caused the problem. So then we were on the road again.

Once we got to the rally, there was lots of fun to be had. Ranging for looking at cool bikes...

And of course just hanging out and making new friends.

The weird thing for me was that it was still daylight at about 10:30PM local time.

Day 6 - Just having fun at the Lunatic Fringe

http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD06.htm

Decided that I did not feel up to riding in the morning, so just kind of took it easy. Then after lunch it was time to head out and see some sights as well as get John's bike repaired. This time it was BoxerGrrlie who decided to soak up some sun and stay at camp.

So we headed out to Calgary in search of the BMW shop, to meet Lance and get John's muffler strap figured out, and to find some cigars for the evening. I was thoroughly disappointed by the BMW shop. It was pretty much every other brand you could think of, and everything was off road. However we were succesful in finding a few cigars.

Fixing John's strap was amazingly simple for me, I simply stood around and took pictures. So without further adieu I give you the birth of Canadian Chopper starring Lance and John. (Did I mention that Lance's shop at home has more tools than my shop at the office?)

Then it was back to the rally for closing supper and another fine night of fun.

Day 7 - Sightseeing in Banff and Lake Louise

http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD07.htm

We had given ourselves two days to get from High River to Spokane. So since it was BMWRTRider's birthday we figured let's take the scenic route and have some fun. So BoxerGrrlie looked at the map and put together a spectacular ride from High River to Cranbrook by way of the sights.

There were curves and hills and mountains and animals.... I am still trying to figure out how to put it into words, suffice it to say these pictures should help a little. Along Route 40 the riding was the best ever. We did not have a lot of traffic, the roads were in good condition, there were turns and hills. We just rode and rode and rode. I recommend it

Day 8 - Just Riding to the Rally

http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD08.htm

Not really a whole lot of stuff going on with the ride. It was nice and had curves and hills, but I think Route 40 has made everything else look pale by comparision.

However the real fun started once we arrived.

First it was off to get some supplies. While I was getting some fine adult beverages and ice, the ladies set up quite a nice little compound for the next couple of days. The biggest coup being the shade tent.

Me, I think the picket fences are the key to the whole thing.

Then it was the meeting of the minds, as Kbasa, Rob Nye, MrsKBasa, and BoxerGrrlie decided to get together and have a fun evening.

Day 9 - Forum Frenzy

This one really needs the pictures which are at: http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD09.htm

Not a whole lot of riding. Set up the Cyber Cafe in the morning, hung around and talked bikes, a little run to the hotel to post stuff, and then came the fun of the Forum Frenzy (The New New Thing). The turn out was gregarious to put it mildly. KBasa showed up with some fine Kentucky Bourbon for people to share, although I think KBasa and I managed to get most of it.

Pictures of:
BoxerGrrlie and Irene
Gambrinus
Ian408 (left) and KBasa
Knary

Brad - get to the rally

BradfordBenn said:
This one really needs the pictures which are at: http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD09.htm

Not a whole lot of riding. Set up the Cyber Cafe in the morning, hung around and talked bikes, a little run to the hotel to post stuff, and then came the fun of the Forum Frenzy (The New New Thing). The turn out was gregarious to put it mildly. KBasa showed up with some fine Kentucky Bourbon for people to share, although I think KBasa and I managed to get most of it.

Pictures of:
BoxerGrrlie and Irene
Gambrinus
Ian408 (left) and KBasa
Knary

Brad, get your behind to the rally and why aren't you in the rally seminar?

dave

Wow

Great job with the pics Brad. Thanks - it helps us non-participants feel part of the big picture(s).
I am sure you will be trailering your bikes home. Right?
(Lorazepam has a sticker on his bike I like: "If you see this bike on a trailer call 911".)

Yo, Brad!

First, that is a great series of pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Next, you commented that you seem to have a lot of stuff.

Maybe you are a closet Gold Winger? :yow

So check this out. The people at Bushtec make a hitch for your RT, and sell a great line of trailers. They also have the wiring thing figured out to a "T."

I still have a homegrown trailer I built from a kit back when I owned a Wing. Eventually, I might put a hitch on the K. If and when I do that, I'll take up dragging a load again in favor of all the stappin' and gruntin' I presently endure.

Since this is the national, there is a chance that Bushtec might be there as a vendor. If not, they are located in East Tennessee, and can schedule ride in service on a hitch mount.

Anyway, looking at that luggage cart, it's a thought!

:brow

Geez. If he's over packed already, I can't believe I'm telling him this. But, if he bought himself a rolling pack-sack, he could be a gentleman and lug the ladies stuff, too ...

Re: Brad - get to the rally

KBasa said:
Brad, get your behind to the rally and why aren't you in the rally seminar?

dave

Cause you and Ritalin Boy told me not to show up :p :eek

Plus I had to keep the fans informed with the adventures of the Gang of Four Minus One.:bliss

Re: Wow

Cliffy777 said:
Great job with the pics Brad. Thanks - it helps us non-participants feel part of the big picture(s).
I am sure you will be trailering your bikes home. Right?
(Lorazepam has a sticker on his bike I like: "If you see this bike on a trailer call 911".)

What is a trailer?

Re: Yo, Brad!

RickM said:
First, that is a great series of pictures.

Next, you commented that you seem to have a lot of stuff.

Maybe you are a closet Gold Winger? :yow

So check this out. The people at Bushtec make a hitch for your RT, and sell a great line of trailers.

Geez. If he's over packed already, I can't believe I'm telling him this. But, if he bought himself a rolling pack-sack, he could be a gentleman and lug the ladies stuff, too ...

Thanks for the props on the pictures.

I have gotten the packing down now. I just brought too much stuff. So now to pare it down.....

However in terms of the stuff, even the ladies are admitting that even though I brought a lot of stuff, we have used it all.

Also the Ladies probably wouldn't let me take their stuff. They are independent, and it gives them something to laugh at me about. But now I know what a trailer is:p

I have a picture of my homegrown trailer someplace. The only way it could be uglier is to be bigger, but it works.

Probably, you will see some rigs at the rally. Personally, I like the Bushtec Turbo +2.

Rick (sitting inside while it rains outside) in AL

Kudos Benn. To your list of talents it seems there is no end....:clap :clap :clap

The effort and time it takes to do a ride report are not insignificant, and here you are doing it from the road, doing it well, and making it look easy.....:thumb For this I salute you.....:beer

Thanks for the great commentary, and the pictures it takes me there in some small way. Keep em' coming, have a great rally, and drink an ice cold beverage for me.......... :drink

Day 10 - More fun at the Rally

Pictures are at: http://www.bradfordbenn.com/beemer/trips/JulyD10.htm

The day started out with a web team meeting hosted at the Yankee Beemer compound. Chef Rob did a great job of cooking up some breakfast. The key is having the proper seasonings.

After that it was a fairly tame morning of sleeping and posting these things. Then came the evening shift of the Forum Folks in the Beer Garden. The turn out was a little quiet at times, but man did we move some water.

Knary was on the wrong side of the table.

Don't let iRene near any glass, ever. Really.

Everyone else shows up in t-shirts, KBasa in the prep outfit. But he did work.

Manic Mechanic (Left) and Reverend Willie showed up as well.

I think the wavy lines in the photos have more to do with the photographic sway.induced by bourbon.

Thanks for posting the trip pics!

I didn't get out of Canada to Spokane as my friends from Michigan came too late to make the trip to Spokane a pleasant ride;so we just hung around my little corner of ocean bound paradise,eating prawns and such.

Safe journeying!!

I guess if it can't be Las Vegas or Winnipeg Manitoba Canada,Lima Ohio it is.

Back