• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$$ well spent

dmilan

Some of you are aware I recently purchased an E-bay Special 2005 R1200RT.

The bike was listed by a second party, not the owner. This was not made clear in the auction. Additionally, the bike was reported to be in excellent condition with 14,000 miles. Excellent condition, judge for yourself.

As the new owner, I'd say that the miles are accurate but owner #1 never cleaned the bottom half of the bike. Rode it in Vermont, probably in the winter. Anyway, I'm posting here to show how $250.00 in exhaust polishing and $80.00 of powder coating can address prior neglect.

Might take a few posts due to file size

David Parobek

Attachments

• P1010367.jpg
    P1010367.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
After

I'm aware that the pipe will discolor quickly.
However, I'm content that now it doesn't look and feel like 50 grit sandpaper.
I should add that the engine brackets for the side panels were included in the powder coating and the mufller was included in the polishing. However, the muffler was in pretty good shape going in. Of interest is that the shop informed me that the muffler was "plated" and that the header was not. Muffler was polished/stripped of its plating down to stainless steel. It also looks like new.
Dmilan

Attachments

• P1010392.jpg
    P1010392.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Wow, nice work! So does this mean you won't be riding during the winter? :stick

Yeah..
I'm no rounder.
In no particular order..
Ice, Chuck holes, Road Salt. Driving in my car today on I-71 here in N-East OH, I saw an erroding seam in the asphalt. Middle lane, paralel with traffic flow, 10 + yards long, just about wide enough for a motorcycle tire.

I usually put 'em away sometime in December, back in business in late March.

DMilan

Last edited:
Tend to agree with DMilan

The roads may even be clear and dry but that white coating seen on many surfaces is salt. One that fine coating of salt gets into the inner cracks and crevices - especially aluminum surfaces, the salt does not exit.

Salt most likely contributed to the bike damage in the first place.

Looks like you got your $330 worth and more.

Yeah..
I'm no rounder.
In no particular order..
Ice, Chuck holes, Road Salt. Driving in my car today on I-71 here in N-East OH, I saw an erroding seam in the asphalt. Middle lane, paralel with traffic flow, 10 + yards long, just about wide enough for a motorcycle tire.

I usually put 'em away sometime in December, back in business in late March.

DMilan

In 2006, one of those put me in a serious hurt bracket during some March light rain riding on I-71. I'm still a rounder but I run some local errands to keep in good running order. Promised my significant other no more bad weather touring...

Back