• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

San Mateo Motorcycle Show -- Who's going?

I

ian408

IMS is coming to San Mateo December 19-21.

Who's planning on going?

I have to say, looking at the exhibitor lists, there's not much that's new or exciting. This might be the first year in a long time I don't attend.

It's more like a trade show

If the Seattle show was anything to go by, stay home or spend your $13 on a movie or something. BMW was a no-show but Chinese scooters were there, should you be inclined.

I did find things to spend money on, which isn't usually the case. The Progressive Insurance babes saved the day.

I'm going, but I don't yet know when. Maybe Friday evening, because we have a guest here over the weekend.

I'll be there.

So BMW is not going to be there. What else are you going to do during that weekend, sit on the couch?

Go check out some gear, sit on a Moto Guzzi or two, drool over the new Ducatis, look at the antique and custom bikes, hang out with some old friends.

More than once I have torn up my MOA membership and walked away, because of the myopic view many, many BMW riders share. You know there are many other fantastic & interesting motorcycles out there in addition to BMW.

BMW is only doing select shows, get over it.

I love motorcycles. The Cycle World IMS show is the biggest motorcycle event in the country that weekend. If you love motorcycles where else would you rather be? Oh Yeah, I hear your wife calling she wants you to go to Costco that afternoon to help decide what cheese logs to buy for the holiday.

I enjoy motorcycling, I also enjoy the BMW brand, but I could really do without the bull$hit, beemer geek, snobbery.

Actually, I rarely look at any of the manufacturers' wares with any enthusiasm, so this won't be that much different. And the generic "bike show" that Cycle World puts up in San Mateo simply can't hold a candle to what the VME does in Seattle. But I like to wander among the smaller vendors and see what's new, or what catches my eye. The show never occupies more than a couple hours of my time, this shouldn't be any different.

I'm going, but I don't yet know when. Maybe Friday evening, because we have a guest here over the weekend.

So I guess I'll not see you at Joe's and breakfast, Saturday? Too bad. I'm still thinking I'll go to the show after the group breakfast.

// marc

Marco, it now appears that your plan will work for me, although I've got to be home by about 3:00ish.

Ian, you're welcome to join us at the unofficial vintage group breakfast. Show up at Groeger Special Tooling, 2600 Bay, Redwood City, at about 10am or so.

How many other threads have you seen on here about the IMS shows and the complaining about BMW not being there?

How the shows are not worth going to if the holy grail of motorcycles, BMW, does not participate.

If you are only going to the show to see the BMW booth, just go to your local dealer instead. About the only thing they had at the Long Beach show that can not be seen in any local BMW showroom was the cruiser concept that was made in Germany a few years back and the new superbike (a test mule). Both were pretty neat, but would I have paid to park, paid to attend, fought the crowd, & spent a half a day just to see those two bikes? Not likely.

I guess there is no enjoyment in the circus for you if Ronald, your favorite clown, is on vacation when they come to your town.

I'm on the fence. If I come, I'll bring the bride. Usually after about an hour she gets that look on her face like when we're in the hardware store. Then I feel a bit rushed to see it all and split.

I've already bought my ticket, but haven't worked up the time. Saturday morning, perhaps?
It depends on my son's work schedule. I'm planning to meet him there.

My wife and I will be there Saturday. Just look for the matching Marakesch Red K75Ss in the parking lot.

Northern California BMW Dealers will have a display in the middle of Expo Hall between Honda and Buell.

BMW MOA will have a booth as well as the BMW Club of Northern California. So while you won't get the full BMW Motorrad experience, there should be enough to keep you entertained.

Don't forget, your going to be spending alot of time at Gerbing, Garmin, Tourtech, etc, etc.

Have fun. See Ya there.

:dance :dance :dance

Back