• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets with Blue tooth

Roy.Jackson55@aol.com

You stupid, fix it!
I'm looking to purchase a new helmet with bluetooth already installed. One of the local BMW dealers is now selling Velmar helmets. I tried one on and liked it. One of my problems was that the salesperson was not very knowledgeable about the bluetooth option. In this months MOA Mag., in the advertisement, it states that it can operate up to 10 hours on a charge. This does not seem very long. Is there a way to charge it while riding. Is this ten hours of standby or useage. How about other helmets, like the Nolan-103. Thanks in acvance.

Bluetooth helmets

I'll be watching what is posted here about bluetooth helmets too. I have a 550zumo and would like to hear the voice command for driving instructions and maybe on a long run even mp3 music via a bluetooth. I presently wear an Arai rx-7 and have tried on a few other helmets including the Nolan. I like the way my Arai fits after wearing it for 3 yrs. that being said in trying on the Nolan I was not impressed at all how it fit so I hope one of the other companies has something that fits like my Arai. I will buy my next helmet for a crash not for how good the radio sounds in it so, that leaves me in a little bit of a spot to find bluetooth I suppose.

I guess I'll be dropping about $700 on another Arai without Bluetooth if the helmets that are presently available are the only choice. I won't wear a helemt that looks like it was made to be sold and not made for a crash.

I too have the zumo 550 and want to hear it, plus music and cell phone. I haven't tried the Nolan so I can comment on the fit. The velmar fits me pretty good. I've tried Arais in the past and they do not fit me well. My Shoei fits great but is 10 years old. I really like my Cabrio, but can no longer get parts for it and it needs a shield. I will proberly just get the Velmar though still looking for more info on the 10 hour charge time.

OK her goes guys, I have a Nolan N-Com 102 helmet, with Bluetooth, and the Garmin Zumo550. They work together seamlessly. I can truly say I have been very happy with the setup. The N-Com Bluetooth is a kit which installed in the helmet in about 20 minutes. You can answer the telephone, or place a call, and it's clear as a bell. The MP3 player is great as well, but if you want to hear the MP3 player in stereo, you will need the multimedia wire connection from the helmet to the zumo craddle, otherwise the Bluetooth only allows mono music, which sounds bad. The volume controls are excellent, and I can hear the music or telephone clearly at any speed. I can't speak to the Bluetooth intercom set up since I have never used it. The GPS turn by turn directions are clear, and reduce the need to look at the GPS, allowing you to keep your eyes where they belong, on the road. Battery life on the helmet is excellent, one charge gives in excess of 10hours of riding. I have had the set up for over a year, and only problem was a faulty multimedia wire, which was replaced propmtly, and courteously by extreme supply. Any questsions ask away, and I will try to answer.

OK her goes guys, I have a Nolan N-Com 102 helmet, with Bluetooth, and the Garmin Zumo550. They work together seamlessly. I can truly say I have been very happy with the setup. The N-Com Bluetooth is a kit which installed in the helmet in about 20 minutes. You can answer the telephone, or place a call, and it's clear as a bell. The MP3 player is great as well, but if you want to hear the MP3 player in stereo, you will need the multimedia wire connection from the helmet to the zumo craddle, otherwise the Bluetooth only allows mono music, which sounds bad. The volume controls are excellent, and I can hear the music or telephone clearly at any speed. I can't speak to the Bluetooth intercom set up since I have never used it. The GPS turn by turn directions are clear, and reduce the need to look at the GPS, allowing you to keep your eyes where they belong, on the road. Battery life on the helmet is excellent, one charge gives in excess of 10hours of riding. I have had the set up for over a year, and only problem was a faulty multimedia wire, which was replaced propmtly, and courteously by extreme supply. Any questsions ask away, and I will try to answer.

Thanks, Not happy at only 10 hrs, but for most (90+%) of my riding that will be more than adequate. The multimedia wire, I'm guessing thats something I can get from garmin? Thanks for the assist.

Not built in but I'm very happy with the Scala Q2. I have to admit I only use it at the moment for an intercom and to answer cellphone calls but it works very well for that. I did do a bit of research into it working with a Zumo (probably next buy) and future bike to bike and it seems to work well for that. Nice thing is it fits most helmets, I use an Arai XD-3 and it tucks in very well. Down fall is battery life and mono sound for music. Only music use I have tried is the built in FM, which in my area is useless. It does come with a cord for MP3 use but I've never tried it. I think they say 8-10 hours on a full charge but my guess it would be less than that with a lot of use. Probable answer to that would be to buy a second pack but for my use the battery life isn't problem.

Not built in but I'm very happy with the Scala Q2. I have to admit I only use it at the moment for an intercom and to answer cellphone calls but it works very well for that. I did do a bit of research into it working with a Zumo (probably next buy) and future bike to bike and it seems to work well for that. Nice thing is it fits most helmets, I use an Arai XD-3 and it tucks in very well. Down fall is battery life and mono sound for music. Only music use I have tried is the built in FM, which in my area is useless. It does come with a cord for MP3 use but I've never tried it. I think they say 8-10 hours on a full charge but my guess it would be less than that with a lot of use. Probable answer to that would be to buy a second pack but for my use the battery life isn't problem.

Yes a friend of mine uses the Scala Q2 and he told me the same as you. I havn't ruled it out yet. I do no my next helmet will be a full face flip with a visor inside the shield. I use one now and I'm hooked. Once I start using a helmet, I very rarely use another one. That's why I thinking about the Velmar and Nolan 103. Thanks for the reply.:thumb

Any questsions ask away, and I will try to answer.

A very general question - I wear earplugs because riding is loud. I would love to add bluetooth to my helmet (or buy a Nolan or Vemar) but how in the world does one hear and talk on the phone with all that noise? I'm assuming that you do not wear earplugs.

My wife and I have been using the Scala Q2 for bike-to-bike for about a month now and it works fine. I always wear earplugs and have no problem hearing her at all. She has hers linked up to her cellphone (which she doesn't use much) and it has worked fine. They are supposed to be fully compatible with any Bluetooth GPS as well (a future buy for me).

Good Luck

I went from an Arai helmet to the Nolan N-Com, and I thought the Nolan would be noisy, but was suprised that the Nolan is nearly silent. Now don't get me wrong, if I put the windshield down, and get a helmet full of wind it's noisy, but with the sheild up it's extremely quiet.

Last edited:
A very general question - I wear earplugs because riding is loud. I would love to add bluetooth to my helmet (or buy a Nolan or Vemar) but how in the world does one hear and talk on the phone with all that noise? I'm assuming that you do not wear earplugs.

Good question. I always wear earplugs. I wasn't thinking of that, but on my RT with the shield keeping the wind off of my head I should be able to hear fine. I hope.

Back