• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery for 1991 K100RS

M

Mudbug

I need a new battery for my 1991 K100RS w/ABS. I looked up batteries on the A&S website and found two, one 19.6 AMP for the ABS model and 25 AMP for the non-ABS model.

Can the current BMW gel battery be used on my bike? Or do I have to get one specifically for the ABS model?

We've been using the Panasonic (Westco) batteries on our Airheads for the last couple of years. That would probably work well on a K100RS.

Available from gotbatteries.com or Digikey.

I recommend the Westco battery too, the new BMW batteries don't allow the usage of a battery tender...

Thanks for the suggestions.

How important is the number of amps when a ABS module is involved?

Does the difference between 19.6 amps and 25 amps effect the ABS module?

Actually I prefer the new gel battery. I have a battery tender that is designed for it.

I called the local BMW dealership, Lone Star BMW, and asked which batteries would fit my 1991 K100RS. They said that the new BMW gel battery would not and Westco batteries are somewhat tall for some BMW models. They said they would have to order me one. Which one, I don't know.

So, I called around, specifically to A&S BMW. A&S was very helpful. Their parts department checked with their service department and verified that the new BMW gel battery will fit in my 1991 K100RS. That's what I call service. Thank you Shannon.

I have a BMW gel compatible battery charger. So now I am wondering how careful I need to be if I try installing a new BMW gel battery myself. I don't want to damage the FI module or harness or ABS 1 module. I do know that I should remove the ground wire first and attach it last.

Is there anything else I need to be careful of???

Battery for K bike

Hello-
I've been using an Odyessy Dry Cell and love it. No more ABS faults on my '98 K1200RS. The Odyessy will go 2 years in storage and have 50% or more charge left. $58.00 on the net, PC 680.
Be sure and get the little copper adaptors for BMW's( another $4.00). I've got two other K bikes in Tucson in storage ('93 K1100LT,'85 K100RT)that are going to get Dry Cells. GREAT battery.
Regards,
Scott

Hawker and Panasonic

I found that the Hawker and the Panasonic are very close in size:

Hawker: 7.15 x 3.00 x 6.61
Pana: 7.13 x 2.99 x 6.58

According to Portable Power Systems (gotbatteries.com) most new BMW's take the same size and the Hawker is a direct replacement.

I'd like to know for sure though. So if anyone knows what size the stock BMW battery is, maybe they can post it. Also the bike model and battery capacity would help too.

The Hawker PC680 at this site is $73 + $11 for posts, and it's 16AH. The better Panasonic (Long Life) is 20AH and comes in two post types.

K battery

Hello-
Go to Ebay Motors, Motorcycle, parts&assc., British&European.
You will find Odyssey Dry Cells listed for $57.75. There is a full rap
sheet on the dry cell, including dimensions. Judge for yourself.
Regards,
Scott

MudBug,
I had a couple of WestCo's at one time. Now I order my batteries from www.digi-key.com Your battery in a Panasonic is an LC-X1228P and will cost you $58.25 delivered free if you print the order form and send a check with the order. This is the larger 28AH battery.
I have two of the 28HA batteries and one of the 20AH batteries in my bikes. I have replaced them after about 4 years just so I don't get stranded somewhere. Only had one problem with one of these SLA batteries, it was a WestCo and it failed to hold more than about 9 Volts at 2 years of age. Westco replaced it at cost but by then I had found the Digi-Key site and had no further need for WestCo.

HTH,
Mick

Mick,

Thanks for the information on the Panasonic battery LC-X1228P. I removed the left side panel and measured the battery. The Panasonic you recommended will fit. All the others mentioned probably would fit also. But, they would be small compared to the Panasonic. I like the 28Ah and not having to use a gel battery specific charger.

So, I ordered one from digi-key. Do i need to add acid when it arrives?

Also, I just received a Cylmer manual on the removal of the battery, 1991 K100RS. It is vastly differently than the procedure described on the IBMWR site.

Other than removing the ground cable first and attaching it last. Are there any other precautions I need to be aware of to keep from frying the FI module or the ABS module?

Thanks,
Robert

Robert,
Disconnecting the Neg terminal first and reconnecting it last will prevent all the "bad stuff" from happening. :clap

You will NOT have to add any 'acid' to that Panasonic. It's an SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery and the acid is fully absorbed in the glass mat that makes up the battery plate separators. You can even turn it on it's side if you'd like, but that would make it much harder to fit in your K-Bike. :D

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mick

Mick,

Thanks again.

As you can tell, I have little experience wrenching on my K100RS. I just got it this year. Other than the dealer performing its first periodic maintenance with me as the owner, I've decided to work on it myself, as long as I have the right tools. Since it is out of warranty, I could not do much harm with the right tools, manuals and guidence.

I did not want to pay the dealer for a relatively simple task of changing a battery. But I did want to get the right battery. I was not confident in my local dealer after I called asking him about a battery for this bike.

Mick, thanks again. Your suggestion saved me some money.

I think you will find your 91K100RS very easy to work on. The oil, transmission, and rear drive is very easy to do. And so is the coolant, air filter, and spark plugs after you do it once. Hmmm, I guess that just leaves valve adjustments, which is more of a check since they rarely need adjustment (i let dealer perform). Thats 90% of the required service except spline lubes and fuel filter...:D

When I brought it in for my first service, I followed the owner's maintenance guide. Lub splines once a year, etc. There was some disagreement between me and the dealer because he wanted to do a different service than what was indicated in the owner's book for the number of miles on the odometer.

Perhaps BMW has a different service schedule for newer models. But I'm staying with what was published in the owner's manual.

Mick,

Thanks again. I ordered the Panasonic battery you recommended from www.digi-key.com. It arrived last week. But I did not have time to install it until today.

What I difference it made. The starter engaged quicker and the engine started quicker.

I took my time and it was easy to do.

Can I use a Battery Tender on the Panasonic battery? Or should I use one for gel batteries?
I did not charge it before or after the installation and it performed well.

When I replaced the battery, I replaced the ABS control unit which my local dealer said was bad when he tested it on a recent service. The ABS light still blinks, just like it did when the old ABS control until was in the bike. I guess I need to reset it as per instructions found on IBMWR.

Thanks again for your advice.

Robert,
Go back and read page #1 again. ;)
You have an SLA battery, NOT a GEL battery. Most of the batteries, like the Oddysey, are marketed as GEL or Dry Cell but are actually SLA.
Yes, a normal battery Tender will charge it just fine.

Mick

Back