Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which automobile is "the most" made in the USA?

ejressler

Question Which automobile is "the most" made in the USA?

With all the info in the Environmentalism and the Future of Motorcycles thread, I was wondering, since some of your guys have researched the bikes, can you tell me if I purchase a new automobile in the coming year, which one should I consider, if it want it "made in America"? And which ones are more green, and get the best milage, whatever the powering "motor"?

I'm moving this to the campfire section because it has nothing to do with the club. If you'd prefer, I can move it on to the Tavern, but this doesn't seem like a hot button discussion... yet.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

adamceckhardt
    I'm biased, because I used to work for Honda.

A great percentage of them are made in America by Americans. They are some of the most efficient engines out there. If anybody knows how to build a good engine- its Honda. They build more than anybody else in the world.

In terms of being green, you have to take a lot into consideration. First of all, what kind of mileage does it get? Second, what kind of materials go into the building of the vehicle? This is where hybrids fail in my book. The added electronics and batteries do more harm to the environment over their life span than burning a slightly higher amount of fuel. Third, how reliable is the vehicle? If you are constantly putting new parts in it, you are not being green. And finally, what is the expected longevity of the vehicle? It doesn't matter if it gets 200 miles per gallon, is made of hemp, and never breaks down if the average version only lasts 7-8 years.

If you want to buy something with a lot of "America" in it, AND also be green, I'd personally consider a 4 cyl Accord.

Keep in mind a lot may have changed since I was "in the know" and it's only my personal opinion

Adam

Ah well, if it's made in Canada, that's close enough, I mean after all Canada is like the big 51st state we never had........
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

The sticker on my 08 Toyota Camry said over 80% american made parts and was assembled in Kentucky.
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"
    02 K1200LTC Hoss "Wrecked on 9/21/14"
    12 R1200RT

Here is a list for 2007 model year (and a bit of 2006). Both Ford and GM have some vehicles that are 95% North American. My Ranger is 80%, which I recall from the window sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by adamceckhardt View Post
    It doesn't matter if it gets 200 miles per gallon, is made of hemp,
    didn't Cheech and chong pioneer a hemp vehicle? Long time ago, can remember
    much from the 70's........

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Ah well, if it's made in Canada, that's close enough, I mean after all Canada is like the big 51st state we never had........
    I guess I agree. My Impala is made in Canada and is 90% Domestic content but a Mercury Milan I was considering is made in Mexico with only 50% domestic content. If I was buying new, I would probably buy a Honda or Toyota but if I were buying slightly used, I would (and did) buy domestic. I bought a spotless 2008 Impala LT for $11,800 and added new tires for $400. I got an almost new car that is identical to a 2009 for $10,000+ less than sticker and about $7,000 less than I can buy one for. It averages 32-34 MPG at 70MPH on the highway (EPA 29) and has a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It was the cheapest and most economical full sized car I could find with a V6.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    With all the oil we import and all the cars that are made in Canada and the need for health care in the US, maybe we can become the 11th province.

Rally Rat
    I wouldn't know where to look it up, but I'd think the Corvette (built at Bowling Green, Kentucky) probably uses the fewest imported components... or is near the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by adamceckhardt View Post
    .........A great percentage of them are made in America by Americans. They are some of the most efficient engines out there. If anybody knows how to build a good engine- its Honda. They build more than anybody else in the world.

Adam
    I agree a Honda is a good bet. I've had four Hondas with no major problems with any of them - and each had from 90K to 140K on them (that one was 16 years old). At least the last two were made in the US. I currently have the Civic EX coupe and get about 36 mpg. Great car.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

BUBBAZANETTI
    i recall taking my 92 Chevy Lumina to it's "place of birth" in Ontario in 2003. great engine, but at some point in 2004, every piece of rubber disintegrated at once, lost all my coolant and then the brakes around 175,000 miles. trouble free from when i bought it from my dad at 110,000 till that point.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    I wouldn't know where to look it up, but I'd think the Corvette (built at Bowling Green, Kentucky) probably uses the fewest imported components... or is near the top of the list.
    85%, at least for the 2007 model year.

ejressler
    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Whoa, didn't think of that, could take a lot of spousal convincing! Good call, now if can get a bailout! I'm going to write my congressmen now.

Unavailable for comment
    1. Ford F-150* Claycomo, Mo.; Dearborn, Mich. 1
    2. Chevrolet Cobalt Lordstown, Ohio 2
    3. Chevrolet Malibu** Kansas City, Kan. 9
    4. Pontiac G6 Orion, Mich. 5

I can get you supplier prices on the GM brand. Check with your dealer--prices right now are probably better than mine. Just PM me for info.