• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which automobile is "the most" made in the USA?

E

ejressler

With all the info in the Environmentalism and the Future of Motorcycles thread, I was wondering, since some of your guys have researched the bikes, can you tell me if I purchase a new automobile in the coming year, which one should I consider, if it want it "made in America"? And which ones are more green, and get the best milage, whatever the powering "motor"?

I'm moving this to the campfire section because it has nothing to do with the club. If you'd prefer, I can move it on to the Tavern, but this doesn't seem like a hot button discussion... yet.

I'm biased, because I used to work for Honda.

A great percentage of them are made in America by Americans. They are some of the most efficient engines out there. If anybody knows how to build a good engine- its Honda. They build more than anybody else in the world.

In terms of being green, you have to take a lot into consideration. First of all, what kind of mileage does it get? Second, what kind of materials go into the building of the vehicle? This is where hybrids fail in my book. The added electronics and batteries do more harm to the environment over their life span than burning a slightly higher amount of fuel. Third, how reliable is the vehicle? If you are constantly putting new parts in it, you are not being green. And finally, what is the expected longevity of the vehicle? It doesn't matter if it gets 200 miles per gallon, is made of hemp, and never breaks down if the average version only lasts 7-8 years.

If you want to buy something with a lot of "America" in it, AND also be green, I'd personally consider a 4 cyl Accord.

Keep in mind a lot may have changed since I was "in the know" and it's only my personal opinion

Adam

Ah well, if it's made in Canada, that's close enough, I mean after all Canada is like the big 51st state we never had........

The sticker on my 08 Toyota Camry said over 80% american made parts and was assembled in Kentucky.

Here is a list for 2007 model year (and a bit of 2006). Both Ford and GM have some vehicles that are 95% North American. My Ranger is 80%, which I recall from the window sticker.

Ah well, if it's made in Canada, that's close enough, I mean after all Canada is like the big 51st state we never had........

I guess I agree. My Impala is made in Canada and is 90% Domestic content but a Mercury Milan I was considering is made in Mexico with only 50% domestic content. If I was buying new, I would probably buy a Honda or Toyota but if I were buying slightly used, I would (and did) buy domestic. I bought a spotless 2008 Impala LT for $11,800 and added new tires for $400. I got an almost new car that is identical to a 2009 for $10,000+ less than sticker and about $7,000 less than I can buy one for. It averages 32-34 MPG at 70MPH on the highway (EPA 29) and has a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. It was the cheapest and most economical full sized car I could find with a V6.

With all the oil we import and all the cars that are made in Canada and the need for health care in the US, maybe we can become the 11th province. :ca

I wouldn't know where to look it up, but I'd think the Corvette (built at Bowling Green, Kentucky) probably uses the fewest imported components... or is near the top of the list.

.........A great percentage of them are made in America by Americans. They are some of the most efficient engines out there. If anybody knows how to build a good engine- its Honda. They build more than anybody else in the world.

Adam

I agree a Honda is a good bet. I've had four Hondas with no major problems with any of them - and each had from 90K to 140K on them (that one was 16 years old). At least the last two were made in the US. I currently have the Civic EX coupe and get about 36 mpg. Great car.

Muriel

i recall taking my 92 Chevy Lumina to it's "place of birth" in Ontario in 2003. great engine, but at some point in 2004, every piece of rubber disintegrated at once, lost all my coolant and then the brakes around 175,000 miles. trouble free from when i bought it from my dad at 110,000 till that point.

I wouldn't know where to look it up, but I'd think the Corvette (built at Bowling Green, Kentucky) probably uses the fewest imported components... or is near the top of the list.

Whoa, didn't think of that, could take a lot of spousal convincing! Good call, now if can get a bailout! I'm going to write my congressmen now.

1. Ford F-150* Claycomo, Mo.; Dearborn, Mich. 1
2. Chevrolet Cobalt Lordstown, Ohio 2
3. Chevrolet Malibu** Kansas City, Kan. 9
4. Pontiac G6 Orion, Mich. 5

I can get you supplier prices on the GM brand. Check with your dealer--prices right now are probably better than mine. Just PM me for info.

:usa

My 07 Toyota Tundra has more American made content than two of the big three domestic trucks. Though being a Canadian, even made in America it's still an import to me. :ca

My '67 Mustang was originally built in California.
Wimbledon white, with a red interior and a blue engine.
I put Montana veteran's affairs plates on it (a bald eagle in front of old glory).
It's the most American made car I own; our other two are Canadian.

I still want that Corvette though, always have.
When I was a kid, my parents got me good once...
They came back from the dealer and said "well, we bought a 'vette".
I ran outside to see a shiny new Chevette.

My '67 Mustang was originally built in California.
Wimbledon white, with a red interior and a blue engine.
I put Montana veteran's affairs plates on it (a bald eagle in front of old glory).
It's the most American made car I own; our other two are Canadian.

I still want that Corvette though, always have.
When I was a kid, my parents got me good once...
They came back from the dealer and said "well, we bought a 'vette".
I ran outside to see a shiny new Chevette.

Maybe get older classic, such as yours, and restore, but most of the auto parts seem to be from other countries! So, probably defeating my purpose!!!

I had one of those Chevettes. Pretty small, but good milage and pretty zippy as I recall. My wife of 34 years and I discussed after we were married, whether to have kids, or get 2 Corvettes. We have 2 beartiful daughters. Oldest half way thru Lawschool, (don't hold it against her), and the youngest about to have our 3rd grandchild. But I still need to bring up that Corvette thing up again!:dance

With all the oil we import and all the cars that are made in Canada and the need for health care in the US, maybe we can become the 11th province. :ca

Beauty idea Paul, but I just don't tink us Visconsinites would blend in to da mix all dat well. Dat will make a guy feel like 2 cents real fast, and for a nickle you'd just as soon move to Mexico, eh? Also dey better keep dat LaBlatts on da Nort side of da line!

I looked on the list to see how much of my 2005 BMW 3 series is American and it comes in at 5%-now I can tell you from very intimate experience that the transfer case is made in NY state and that it is on its 3rd one! Does that mean that a transfer case is 5 % of a vehicle ? The tranny says GM, but I don't see a where are you born sticker . Actually, I have a problem with the list. It doesn't make sense for many of the vehicles on the list as to content when you look at the models compared to other similar models. I don't claim to know what goes in them all, just a casual observation.
I toured the Hitachi plant here in KY some years back and the plant mgr.( a local guy) told us that Lee Iacoca would not allow the "made in Japan" stickers to remain on the components they sent to Chrysler . Does that kinda thing enter into the list % or does the govt. have "content Nazis" that lurk at the doors of the plants?

Back