• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 550 -- 2009 Map Upgrade?????

westhautianplen

Before I invest the $69.00 for the 2009 map upgrade for the Zumo 550 I was hoping someone could let me know if you felt it was worth it and what differences you might have noticed. I am not sure which version I have, but I have experienced that some towns that I drove through in Iowa this summer really confused it.

Bought a new Zumo 550 before the Gillette Rally which had the '09 maps. Gas stations( no longer in existence) where the main issue that I had..especially out in the middle of no where...

Here is a link to the Zumo Forum...lot's of Q&A's

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Have always had issues with some of the gas stations locations...either NOT listed as in 3 miles away and it sends you 30, or as you say the station is closed...that part is not in their control so much

I actually was able to download my '08 update for free from the Garmin ZUMO site right after calling tech support for a unlock code issue. Thye next time I looked at site, it was available for a two day period for FREE. Have not looked at Forum in awhile...might have some good info

Before I invest the $69.00 for the 2009 map upgrade for the Zumo 550 I was hoping someone could let me know if you felt it was worth it and what differences you might have noticed. I am not sure which version I have, but I have experienced that some towns that I drove through in Iowa this summer really confused it.

The first map update on my ZUMO was free. Hook your ZUMO to your computer and it will let you know. Updates to the operating system are always free.

Oh Best Buy was selling a Garmin update for $58.

Zumo Update

I was updating the operating software yesterday and was made aware of the 2009 map. I will check best buy. Thanks for the help.

i usually update on every other update - a little cheaper and get more of an update.

The interface for mapsource has been modified - some like it others don't - i think it is ok

Follow up on the Zumo forum link - great information there

A bit off topic, but do you all know that if you find an area where the GPS map is incorrect, or roads missing, you can let NAVTEC know and they will come map the area? Go to NAVTEC Web site and you will find a way to let them know where they need to map. Then they will send out a car to map the area and get it into the software. They also have a kinda cool video you can watch that shows you how the actual mapping takes place.

Plen.

I bought the 2009 map update and it loaded just fine to my Zumo 550. As to what the benefit is, I'm guessing it takes into account new roads that previously weren't complete on the prior maps or perhaps things like new hotels and businesses. A few years ago while using my older Garmin 276 I was heading to a Comfort Inn in Asheville, NC to spend the night. After arriving there tired and doing a series of U-turns since I was having trouble locating it, it turned out it had changed hands and became a new brand. I think a Sheraton or a Ramada. My guess is if you keep using your existing 2008 maps you most likely won't run into any issues. After all, most major roads don't change. I just thought it would be good to have more current data. I'm guessing much of the changes have to do with changing of businesses , hotels, or additional points of interest. Just a guess, but it works just fine.

I've upgraded and it's fine. Some improvement on a couple functions, but I lost the ability to use my Motorrola bluetooth ear piece with it when I use my Zumo in my car.

I've upgraded and it's fine. Some improvement on a couple functions, but I lost the ability to use my Motorrola bluetooth ear piece with it when I use my Zumo in my car.

The use of bluetooth would be controlled by the OS, not the map software. You should double check your configuration settings.

There are so many changes and additions and deletions every year all across North America that $69 sure doesn't seem like much. I would think the value of the update depends on how much travel you do. If you are always riding in the same area or on the same roads, then it might not be worth it.

Fred

The use of bluetooth would be controlled by the OS, not the map software. You should double check your configuration settings.

I recent installed an XM antenna (Xmas present). A week or two ago, rolling down the road, I got a message that a bluetooth driver was being installed onto my Zumo. All BT communications were lost (phone and headset) but were easily retored by initiating the pairing routine. My question is how was this data transmitted and received - the satellite receiver?
:scratch

Back