• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

North Carolina: The Tarheel State

All you guys/gals who live in the mountains make me sick. :hungover Sick that I'm not there too. :cry

I'm in Concord . . . not too far from Charlotte. :wave

Ian,

I'm down in South Carolina, but I get up to the mountains every chance I get. Would it be possible for you to share some good GS routes for me to try? I've just converted to a GS from an LT. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim
Pavement or dirt? :scratch

Here are some starters . . .

1) NC 1001 - Brushy Mountain Road - starts in Hiddenite - goes into Wilkesboro - pavement
2) HWY 90 out of Lenoir . . . starts a pavement and turns into dirt
3) Take 91/23 north out of Asheville, when you get to Flat Creek take a left of 197 . . . paved at first and turns into dirt . . . until you get to Burnsville
4) Everyone talks about Deal's Gap. Avoid it on the weekends.

Hope that helps!

Ian,

I'm down in South Carolina, but I get up to the mountains every chance I get. Would it be possible for you to share some good GS routes for me to try? I've just converted to a GS from an LT. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim - here's a good starter ride.

take US276 over the mountains, into NC, through Waynesville, to US23/74. Go east/north to exit 104 and go north on NC209.

follow NC209 across I-40, and where it takes a 90-degree turn in Fine's Creek, keep straight.

you're on Max Patch road. Take the right fork where you see the signs to go left to I-40, and not long afterwards the road turns to gravel.

go over Max Patch, which is worth a stop and walk around (it's part of the Applachian Trail), and head down the hill into Tennessee. (you're now on TN107)

you will eventually find your way to US25 east of Newport. Take a right... and go to Hot Springs.

in Hot Springs, take NC209 south and go home the way you came.

there are a million options on this ride, you will be passing many great roads that you'll explore at a later time.

i think you will like this ride.

Ian

1) NC 1001 - Brushy Mountain Road - starts in Hiddenite - goes into Wilkesboro - pavement

well, i'll be dogged... there are *two* NC 1001s.

in next month's BMW ON you will read about the other one (that i know of, maybe there are more?) between Sylva and Ellijay. it's part of my "twistiest way to the dragon" ride, and features a dual-sport variant.... :evil

ian

well, i'll be dogged... there are *two* NC 1001s.

in next month's BMW ON you will read about the other one (that i know of, maybe there are more?) between Sylva and Ellijay. it's part of my "twistiest way to the dragon" ride, and features a dual-sport variant.... :evil

ian
1001's etc are county roads.. there should be 100 of them in NC

But the one you speak of is a great road too

S

My most recent vacations were all in the Carolinas -- you've got it all. Most recently visited Maggie Valley where the Wheels Through Time museum is located. Word was that the owner was going to close and move the place -- is that accurate?

What a great place to live.:thumb

That is accurate, he has shut his doors and moved to, I believe the south west, but not absolutely sure of that. It was a great museum with some out standing one of a kind bikes and they all ran.

that was announced, however... and long story... this may not be 100% accurate. several things are in play.

ian

Last I heard (visited in October) was that he was closing up and moving (most likely) to Arizona. Scheduled close date at that time was the end of Nov. And that was straight from the owners mouth.

Of course, that could have changed.

That is accurate, he has shut his doors and moved to, I believe the south west, but not absolutely sure of that. It was a great museum with some out standing one of a kind bikes and they all ran.

Sorry to see it go. I walk by there every evening in the summer months. I have a summer home in Maggie just off Soco Rd. I hope to move there full time in a year or so. Not far from you Mo.

Sorry to see it go. I walk by there every evening in the summer months. I have a summer home in Maggie just off Soco Rd. I hope to move there full time in a year or so. Not far from you Mo.

According to the website

The Wheels Through Time Museum is closed as of

December 1, 2008.

No more info at this time.

Wade

Hello from the flatlands of the Outer Banks of NC. I am trying to start a new charter club in this area. If anyone is in this area and is interested please reply. Thanks.

According to the website

The Wheels Through Time Museum is closed as of

December 1, 2008.

No more info at this time.

Wade

The owner's intention was to move the museum further west (southwest specifically) when he closed it last year. However................he does not have a definite location and is keeping the collection here in Maggie for right now. Could he open again???? One never knows with Dale! :)

If a group came together and scheduled a visit, Dale would probably be more than happy to arrange a tour of the musem.

I'm out here in Sneads Ferry NC. Just a few minutes from Topsail Island.

Back