Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Night photography

jantarek

Night photography

I just started to play with that idea, and its tons of fun . So lets see some night photography, some techniques you might like to share? , but no Astrophotography please. And no Photoshop moods, (I cant stand Photoshop modifications, its like saying that my pics sucks and I have no technique )

Anyway some of my first ones

Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f8 Iso800

and same place a little more to the right and closer
    Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f9 Iso800

It is tricky! But so much fun this time of year.

My FinePix has a setting where it shoots in natural light and immediately shoots with a flash.

I love being able to choose the best later.

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 12-10-2008 at 06:07 PM.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by jantarek View Post
    I just started to play with that idea, and its tons of fun . So lets see some night photography, some techniques you might like to share? , but no Astrophotography please. And no Photoshop moods, (I can’t stand Photoshop modifications, it’s like saying that my pics sucks and I have no technique )

Anyway some of my first ones

Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f8 Iso800

and same place a little more to the right and closer
    Nikon D200, shutter priority 10s f9 Iso800
    Not really, back in the days of film you just about had to do some sort modifications to get the photos to come out with the right impact, changing the exposure timing and aperture in the enlarger, dogging, using different grain of the paper you would be using and also push processing (esp in low light photography) was all part of the process. Now we have photoshop or other software to do that, even straight out of the camera its been processed unless you do everything in RAW. No shame in refining the product at all. in fact i think it gives you greater leeway in the shooting process.

RM

night photography

Our Christmas lights:

Nikon D 40; I think I just shot this one on automatic.
    Rinty

jantarek
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Not really, back in the days of film you just about had to do some sort modifications to get the photos to come out with the right impact, changing the exposure timing and aperture in the enlarger, dogging, using different grain of the paper you would be using and also push processing (esp in low light photography) was all part of the process. Now we have photoshop or other software to do that, even straight out of the camera its been processed unless you do everything in RAW. On shame in refining the product at all. in fact i think it gives you greater leeway in the shooting process.

RM
    YEA I can imagine how hard it was to do that with film and those that did it have my full respect , doing a little adjustments in photoshop to make picture looks good its a diferent story, even changing color to black and white, what I hate is the total overhaul, when you taking cell phone camera picture and making it look like it was done by a Pro. lol
    personally I like to take tons of pics and choose which ones are semi ok lol, all pics that I have are non touch , (camera processed )
    thanks for input

BTW

those are great pics Voni
    love that red tree

My dyslexia thought the title was "Nude photography" at first.

I call these "artsy fartsy."

I accidently left me exposure on too long on my old camera when I was driving:

Evening shot:

Hand-lighting fireworks:

jantarek
    yea it can be tons of fun with blur pics, not easy to find a good one tho.
    Very nice job with the moon

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Went out last month a couple of times for some ADV tags. A tripod is a big help on these extended exposure pics

30 second exposure on a windy night gave me some blur as the sign moved in the wind, I suppose the camera did too.

This 15 second exposure left a nice glow on the bike, you wouldn't even know it's a dark night out - notice the car headlights at the nose of the bike.

Can't stand Photoshop? I think the shot looks much better with the powerlines removed.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

JANMILLER
    My RT at night
    Attached Images Attached Images

RandallIsland

Jebel Hafeet mountain from my hotel room in the Al Ain Rotana

Not the Last Supper

The Sheikhs playground which is Dubai

I've got two settings on my JVC GR-DZ7U, flash and no-flash-let's-pick-up-all-the-ambient-light-in-the-world. The trick is to set it on the latter and snap a shot right while it's pulling in the light at the amount you desire for the shot. Works fine but if you don't hold the camera super-still you get blur.

All the same, I get good results, but just plan on taking multiple shots at night to ensure one will be good enough to serve up.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by jantarek View Post
    YEA I can imagine how hard it was to do that with film and those that did it have my full respect , doing a little adjustments in photoshop to make picture looks good its a diferent story, even changing color to black and white, what I hate is the total overhaul, when you taking cell phone camera picture and making it look like it was done by a Pro. lol
    personally I like to take tons of pics and choose which ones are semi ok lol, all pics that I have are non touch , (camera processed )
    thanks for input

BTW

those are great pics Voni
    love that red tree
    Ha Ha! personally I don't consider cell phones as qualifying as photographic equipment! But I hear what you're saying and concur, if a photo needs a complete overhaul then, yeah, it probably wasn't a photograph worthy of the name, it was just a snapshot, if that!

RM

wsteinborn
    Sunrise:

Our Christmas lights:

Fireworks in our 'hood:

From the Grand Floridian:

The highway:

My daughter (not photoshop - just a long shutter):

Downtown (film photo):

Huzband
    A few of mine. All are hand held.

Honfluer, France three years ago. Digital Rebel, f/5.6, 1/4s, ISO 400.

Ten minutes later, f/5.6, 1/8s, ISO 400.

A couple months ago, Canon 30D, Tamron 28-200.

f5.6, 1/40s, ISO 400, shutter priority, -2/3.

f/4, 1/10s, ISO 400, -2/3EV.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    The Moon (and a plane)

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

The Moon, and the Planets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/