• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Puget Sound area commuters?

I try to ride everyday from Olympia to Shelton. It's a nice run up 101.

Well Final got to ride again

Weather is finally cooperating. Next week looks more like what we should be getting! Yeah!! Started riding again last Thursday, boy it feels good to finally be able to get back on the bike. The new Gerbing Liner makes a big difference.

I'm so glad our weather is back to normal. I rode in all five days last week now that the snow is finally gone.

The ride home last Wednesday was fun - that was the day with the big southwesterly wind. I was heading north on I-5 across the Ship Canal Bridge and on up the Express Lanes when I noticed I couldn't hear any more wind noise. Turns out the wind was blowing almost as fast as I was traveling. All I heard was engine and tire noise. The noise from the slip stream almost vanished completely :)

This morning I got run out of the HOV lane and onto the shoulder by some guy in his big white Suburban playing slot racer with the rush-hour traffic. My word of wisdom to my fellow motorists is that if you're going to pull a moronic maneuver in front of me and make me angry, you shouldn't have the name of your business plastered on the back of your offending vehicle - because I WILL call and discuss your driving techniques with you.

Last edited:
Wet Today

Well, just goes to prove that you shouldn't listen to the weather report. Foggy this morning and wet ride home this afternoon. Came back over Cougar Mountain and got caught in a heavy drizzle.

Well now its getting a little cold

But, I have my Gerbing liner to help. At least this weekend is suppose to be dry, which is good for me, since I am teaching a Motorcycle Safety Class.

The fog was so thick this morning @ 4:40 that I couldn't see 3 cars in front of me. Traffic came to a stand still quite a ways back on exits and it's supposed to be much lighter on Fridays....:violin

Let's be safe out there:dance

Yea! tell me about the Fog!

Yea! Tell me. The fog was so bad this morning I was almost crawling along I405 and I90 going to work. It was so bad my face shield fogged up both inside and out! Biggest problem was the inconsiderate driver behind me on my tail, because I wasn't going fast enough for them!:violin

Yea! Tell me. The fog was so bad this morning I was almost crawling along I405 and I90 going to work. It was so bad my face shield fogged up both inside and out! Biggest problem was the inconsiderate driver behind me on my tail, because I wasn't going fast enough for them!:violin

You need a "Pinlock" anti-fog faceshield insert.

I've had mine for over a year now and my visor doesn't fog. Period.

Boy! Peeking at the comments in this thread (Suburban slot car racer, fog, rain, snow, etc) makes me really glad to be retired with no need to commute any more. Lived in Kent during my workaholic days and commuted to Swellvue for 16 years, I DON'T miss the 405 at all. Got knocked off my Ducati in '97 at Coal Creek by one of those "slot car" racers in the HOV lane...

Be careful out there!

Cheers! BJ

Rode the bicycle to work today, Algona to Tukwila and very cold this morning. I was looking forward to a warmer ride home but the temp never changed. 36# both ways.

"Interesting" ride home this morning, black ice everywhere in West Seattle even after waiting for things to warm up. Had a few front end squiggles coming down 35 Av SW towards the WS Bridge... Heading back to the station at about 0700 I caught the the tail end of a dispatch about a 13 car pile up on (I think) 520. Aparently no injuries. Be careful heading in tomorrow, I don't want to meet any of you on a professional level, OK?

Well tomorrow may be a ride day, Finally!

Just checking the weather and while it is suppose to be cold tomorrow, it is suppose to to be dry and NO FOG! Yeah!

22 degrees and frosty/icy roads this morning.

I let the bike rest in the garage until the sun rose. Once the sun came up, I could see that it was frost and not ice, so I rode in to work. The windchill at 70 mph sure caught my attention :)

At 5 am it wasn't so nice

I got up at my normal time and was really planning on riding. But, temperature 25 degrees, still frost and ice on the ground. Needless to say I didn't ride. When I got to work in my cage, the parking lot was covered with frost and ice. Glad I didn't ride.

I see you out there every day on your GS or your C or your RT or your K-bike.

Are you one of the riders I wave/nod my head to as we pass each other?

I ride from Gold Bar to Georgetown daily... Highway 2 to 522 to 405 to 90 to 5 to WSF/Spokane street to Fourth Ave.

108 rt daily...
Sometimes the C sometimes the C w/ a Ural chair.
One is grey the sidecar rig is green.

One morning I rode to work the "long way..."
From Gold Bar over Stevens Pass, over Bluetts Pass, Roslyn for breakfast, over Snoqualmie Pass and downtown by 11:45 to start work at noon.
225 miles to work. That was fun.

I ride from Gold Bar to Georgetown daily... Highway 2 to 522 to 405 to 90 to 5 to WSF/Spokane street to Fourth Ave.

That sounds like a marathon of slow moving heavy traffic...coming and going. Unless you work nights and get to do the "reverse commute".

I was up in Sultan 2 weeks ago for a mushroom farming class, the ground was still semi-frozen, you thawed out in Goldbar yet?

That sounds like a marathon of slow moving heavy traffic...coming and going. Unless you work nights and get to do the "reverse commute".

I was up in Sultan 2 weeks ago for a mushroom farming class, the ground was still semi-frozen, you thawed out in Goldbar yet?

I work noon to eight so I'm off the commute. Still... It's a haul what w/ all the morons...

Thawed? Yup... Just watch the ice on the bridges! Weeeeeee!

We were supposed to get Snow & ice Tuesday morning not this morning. I'm basically at sea level near the Snohomish river and I rarely get accumulation. Decided it would be better to scrape the windows of the truck and drive in instead of playing ice racer with the RT, besides I'm still trying to get rid of the Everett Gombu.

Too Icy!

Driving day!

002vc01525.jpg

Ha! I forgot the picture updates!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I typically ride every day, although tend to either stay home or drive when there's too much ice or snow on the road.

I currently have a R1100GS and a R1150R (soon to be a R1200C) and commute from Renton to Seattle by way of 169->405->5.

If I see other bikes they do tend to be BMWs, but I have noticed more of other manufacturers out this Winter than previous years. Must be that some of the mostly Summer riders are venturing out in the cold due to the economy?

I'm up for a get together at some point in the future if anyone else is interested.

Patrick

Back