• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OldSchooling on the "Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail"

BeerTeam

Ambassador
540+ mile unmarked dual sport adventurous route across the "Dairy State"

345121498_vfqoc-XL.jpg

My friend Chad Berger ("Rokklym" on AdvRider) a few years ago had and idea to map out a route from
the Illinois / Wisconsin border to the shore of Lake Superior using gravel roads, forest roads, ATV & snowmobile trails/routes while using as little tarmac as possible to sew the trail together.

What he ended up with was a fantastic dual sport ride through the many different landscapes of the 30th state of the Union. Thanks Chad :bow

TWTTRAIL-302x336.jpg

:nono Just a little disclaimer: This route is not an actual marked trail. Any ATV trails you might ride are at your own risk and you will need to be aware of the rules and regulations of those trails. The trails official name is Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, remember don't use the acronym in public.

Here is Chad's website: lonewolfexpeditions.com

Please email Chad at chad@lonewolfexpeditions.com and ask for the TWT file. The GPS file will be free, although paypal donations would be
accepted.

A one week 1,300 mile trip on TKC80 knobby tires. The trail is 120 miles from my house. I rode the whole route in July and revisited two of my favorite sections Fall of 2008.​

401293184_23hEE-XL.jpg

540 miles and I have a gallery of 425 photos. Many of the photos are like these two, same location different angle and exposure. I will edit, and not post all of the photos.​

401376202_UisR6-XL.jpg

Above: Potosi Point a few blocks from the Transportation Museum, Great River Road Interpretive Center, National Brewery Museum, and most importantly the famous Potosi Brewing Company.

Potosi Point, view the River from one of the longest & most narrow of peninsula located on the Upper Mississippi River.

At the river below Potosi, Potosi Station is where lead was loaded onto riverboats at the end of a narrow spit of land extending out into the Potosi Canal of the Mississippi River.

401375535_8UBpR-X3.jpg

At the end of Potosi's main street, follow the gravel road under the railroad bridge and drive out to "The Point" and view the River from one of the longest & most narrow of peninsula located on the entire River.​

In the last photo with the bridge I noticed a thingy on your left handle bar. Looks like some sorts of scrolling notebook.
I want one!!!!!!
What is it?

Thanks!
G

jim - we gotta go on a ride together. :nod

ian

Hi Ian, We are slow at work and I my have some time off after the MOA National Rally. I'll talk to ya then.

In the last photo with the bridge I noticed a thingy on your left handle bar. Looks like some sorts of scrolling notebook.
I want one!!!!!!
What is it?

Thanks!
G

It is a enduro route roll chart holder. It is used on most all dual sport organized rides. This chart holder is made by Moose and sells for 20 bucks. You may be able to use 2 inch adding machine paper and hand write your directions. At most D.S. events, you get a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper and a scissors and you cut the paper in 3 strips the long way and tape it in your holder. Roll chart

Touratech has a chart holder that they call roadbook holder, but it is priced at 120, :scratch

Chad kinda styled this easy dual sport trail after the great Trans American Trail (well no desert or mountains included).

The TWT could be divided into sections: Stating from The southwest:

• Western Upland is a rugged landscape with a mix of forest and farmland, including many bluffs and river bottoms on the Mississippi River. This region is part of the Driftless Area. This area was not covered by glaciers during the most recent ice age, the Wisconsin Glaciation. This section you could easily do on a larger bike that does gravel well.

• In the middle of the Trail, is a mix of hills various farm and forest lands. The Middle of the trail has a nice "Supermoto" section at Wild Cat State Park. The trail also goes thru The "Pine Tree Farm" and this sand is a must for some type of knobby tires. This section near Sparta was all technical two track sugar sand. This pine farm is one of Chad's favorite sections. The middle of the trail also goes through Clark and Jackson County, with is one of the Midwest choice off-road areas.

• The northern one third of the trail starts at Hwy 64, 14 miles west of Medford , WI. at the Perkinstown Motorized Trail. The Northern Highland has massive mixed hardwood and coniferous forests including the 1.5 million acre Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. The trail goes right through the National forest. In the far north, the Lake Superior Lowland occupies a belt of land along Lake Superior, which could include the rugged Bayfield county.

A log pile on Irish Ridge Road south of Cassville, Wisconsin
401297599_gzthm-XL.jpg

TWT from the South to North

When I rode the full Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, I started in the middle of this trail at Neilsville and traveled north, then doubled back to the south state line. On two different October weekends, I revisited my favorite parts of the trail. I will do the report starting at my favorite part of the southern third of the trail, so you shall view Summer and Fall photos in the same location. I am sure I shall travel different parts of the trail in the future.

Cassville Car Ferry
is the only ferry operating on the Upper Mississippi from Bettendorf to St. Paul. Cassville, Wisconsin is located at Mile marker 213 Railroad miles from Chicago and 606 river miles from Cairo, Illinois as noted by signage.

No bridges span the 54 miles of river between Dubuque and Prairie du Chien, Wis.,

When you are in Cassville, stop at the Voigt's Town Pump Bar & Grill for a great lunch or breakfast.

Cassville Car Ferry​
401298663_ptuN8-XL.jpg

Closing Dam Road

401301852_8qPvC-XL.jpg

Closing Dam Road,
Cassville, Wisconsin
Burlington Northern Santa Fe​

401389495_ivm3M-XL.jpg

I found bicycle maps as a great guide, thanks Voigt's Bar and Grill​

401391016_xV9Y8-X3.jpg

Miller Time?

401418882_TZCMH-XL.jpg

"Miller Time" at the overhang on Dugway Road in Grant County Wisconsin

Dugway Road parallels the railroad tracks & the Mississippi backwaters

401420695_ZLa7y-XL.jpg

Good-nuff Hollow Road, Grant County, Wisconsin

Jim, you do some great stuff.
See you down the road!

Hey wezel, The route goes through Soldiers Grove and The Great River Road Rally. Very doable on your RT if you don't mind a little gravel and and getting your boots wet doing water crossings. See you there.

Santa

401312396_RseYJ-X3-1.jpg

The title of this road says it all,

Good-nuff Hollow Road​

401313741_QUqnr-X3-1.jpg

Same bike location, just crawled down the creek a bit.​

401310677_FkpeH-X3-1.jpg

It is a enduro route roll chart holder. It is used on most all dual sport organized rides. This chart holder is made by Moose and sells for 20 bucks. You may be able to use 2 inch adding machine paper and hand write your directions. At most D.S. events, you get a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper and a scissors and you cut the paper in 3 strips the long way and tape it in your holder. Roll chart

Touratech has a chart holder that they call roadbook holder, but it is priced at 120, :scratch

Thanks for the info!

Great ride report.

Thanks!

:thumb

The Route

437767275_RnYCC-XL-1.gif

Prairie du Chien/Wisconsin River to Soldiers Grove​
437748934_tHQPn-XL-1.gif
Glen Haven to Wyalusing State Park and Prairie du Chien/Wisconsin River

436620986_gcB5n-XL-1.gif
Cassville's Nelson Dewey State Park to Glen Haven​
436585554_65GDk-XL-1.gif

Wisconsin State Line to Cassville's Nelson Dewey State Park​
436273496_xs5Ht-XL-1.gif

Map Route courtesy of Chad Berger (rokklym) and Cannonshot

When you are down in the southwest part of Wisconsin near Monroe, try to make the 50 mile Cheese Country Trail part of your adventure. It is a converted rails to trails and is limestone/hardpack with some dust. The trail has numerous old bridges but is pretty mild for a dual sport route. Note: At Calamine, cut off the trail to Belmont for the most scenic part of the ride. This is a fee trail route and doable on any motorcycle. Buddy and I really enjoyed this ride and we have a ride report here: Cheese Country Trail-Ride Report Linky
441604373_4e5Ez-X3-1.gif

Last edited:
Nelson Dewey State Park

345683252_XyFqL-XL.jpg

Nelson Dewey State Park

This is the view from Nelson Dewey State Park.

The Park is named after Wisconsin’s first governor. This Park is great for camping.

The farm scene below is of Stonefield Village, a 1880 Historical site. When you are on the tw*t tour, take the ride up the Park road and enjoy the view. The Park charges a daily fee. The Ranger will waived the fee if you just use the road. The reasoning is you can drive through and not pay the fee is because the gasoline road tax paid for the roads in the State Parks. This view is taken from the road.​

Back