• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cold, Snow and a Hack

jsduncan

Canadian Rockies Rider
On Sunday afternoon while returning home from Church, I passed through Airdrie Alberta on highway Two. Airdrie is just north of Calgary Alberta. It was snowing with about 3 inches already on the road with awful driving conditions. The temp around 0C (32f). To my surprise, coming up the north bound ramp and entering the highway was an airhead hack. The rig was two wheel drive, older, and great looking! He was moving at a good rate without much traction loss. I tried to get along side but the road conditions prevented me from getting a good look. As I marveled at this intrepid traveler, a black lab poked his head up from inside the hack. What a view. Anyone know this traveler?

Don't know him, but a guy here in Laramie has a Ural hack he rides around town in the snow. :brow He's made me think about doing the same.

I ride mine in the snow.:thumb
I only have one wheel drive though.:scratch

Years ago in New Englad I had a /2 with Globe hack. I found the one-wheel drive a little dicey in snow deeper than a couple inches and the lack of a third brake made stopping on icy roads pretty interesting. :dance I wish I'd never sold it.

Years ago in New Englad I had a /2 with Globe hack. I found the one-wheel drive a little dicey in snow deeper than a couple inches and the lack of a third brake made stopping on icy roads pretty interesting. :dance I wish I'd never sold it.

Your right about that. It doesn't go all that great in deep snow. Even having a brake on the hack, it's still a little dicy stopping on icey roads.:D It does make for an interesting ride though.

Back