Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Odyssey battery

Odyssey battery

I settled on the Odyssey battery for my '01 RT. It's not exactly a drop in replacement, but they do supply adapters for the terminals. It is slightly shorter, so I used a thin piece of wood on top of the battery to make up the difference in size. I got a pretty good deal at my local Harris Battery store. Maybe he just took pity on me after I told him about all the flat tires I've had this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I settled on the Odyssey battery for my '01 RT. It's not exactly a drop in replacement, but they do supply adapters for the terminals. It is slightly shorter, so I used a thin piece of wood on top of the battery to make up the difference in size. I got a pretty good deal at my local Harris Battery store. Maybe he just took pity on me after I told him about all the flat tires I've had this year!!!
    Which model battery did you get?
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I would bet the PC680, as that is what is spec'd for (nearly) all beemers, and there's no need to use the M version (metal jacket).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Why wouldn't you get the MJ model ? Isn't the battery pretty close to the engine ?
    JD Watson
    2004 R1150RT
    "Too much of a good thing is not enough..."

not all that close; certainly not close enough to require the shielding. odyssey does not spec the MJ- who am i to ovethink the manufacturer?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    not all that close; certainly not close enough to require the shielding. odyssey does not spec the MJ- who am i to ovethink the manufacturer?
    Certainly not me !! I've only been riding my R1150RT since May. Everyday, I learn something new. Especially in this forum. Thanks for the reply.
    JD Watson
    2004 R1150RT
    "Too much of a good thing is not enough..."

Rally Rat
    The original wet-cell batteries don't come with a metal jacket, just plastic. I have the plastic jacketed PC680 in my '02 RT, no issues.

The metal jacket version is for bikes where the battery is exposed. I like the PC680, so what if it is a bit smaller, it fits just fine and works well.

Put a pc680 in my 1100gs, and it was loose. Ordered a new battery strap for 11.00 bucks and fixed it right up.

PDF
    I just replaced the battery in my 1150rt. I went with WestCo over the Odyssey.

I typed up some of my notes about battery options and the procedure for replacing the battery in the r1150rt. http://xs-adventure.com/motorcycle/b...ry-replacement. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Just Jell'n :)

I just received and installed the PC680. I made good use of some jell shoe inserts. I know a person can find other thing to do this but the insert can be trimmed doawn on the bottom and keeps the battery jell'n. The top side I just used where needed to fill gaps.

I installed a PC680 in the spring of 2007 and have had no problems. I regularly run heated gear and accessories; so far I am very pleased with the battery‘«÷s performance.

Adhesive black foam rubber roll strips that come in varying thicknesses/widths like 3/16" x 1 1/2 are what I have in the shop and are great for making a battery fit and there are many other uses.

Quote Originally Posted by pdf View Post
    I just replaced the battery in my 1150rt. I went with WestCo over the Odyssey.

I typed up some of my notes about battery options and the procedure for replacing the battery in the r1150rt. http://xs-adventure.com/motorcycle/b...ry-replacement. Hopefully someone will find this useful.
    I found it very useful. Printed a copy and but it into my 3-ring binder. Thanks
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

FatChance
    Quote Originally Posted by ima4nr View Post
    Odysseys have that problem of not fitting exactly. This does not only apply to BMWs.That's why I have switched to WESTCO. Perfect fit AND slightly better performance per application. Best example is my KZ1300. Notoriously bad cold starter with 6 cylinders and poor carburetion. Even the Odyssey gave in ever so often. The Westco keeps spinning it until it fires every time.
    Another happy Westco battery user here. Fits right in, the wiring works and the battery works well and lasts a long time.