• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Odyssey battery

beeryboats

I settled on the Odyssey battery for my '01 RT. It's not exactly a drop in replacement, but they do supply adapters for the terminals. It is slightly shorter, so I used a thin piece of wood on top of the battery to make up the difference in size. I got a pretty good deal at my local Harris Battery store. Maybe he just took pity on me after I told him about all the flat tires I've had this year!!!

I settled on the Odyssey battery for my '01 RT. It's not exactly a drop in replacement, but they do supply adapters for the terminals. It is slightly shorter, so I used a thin piece of wood on top of the battery to make up the difference in size. I got a pretty good deal at my local Harris Battery store. Maybe he just took pity on me after I told him about all the flat tires I've had this year!!!

Which model battery did you get?

I would bet the PC680, as that is what is spec'd for (nearly) all beemers, and there's no need to use the M version (metal jacket).

not all that close; certainly not close enough to require the shielding. odyssey does not spec the MJ- who am i to ovethink the manufacturer?

not all that close; certainly not close enough to require the shielding. odyssey does not spec the MJ- who am i to ovethink the manufacturer?

Certainly not me !! I've only been riding my R1150RT since May. Everyday, I learn something new. Especially in this forum. Thanks for the reply.

The original wet-cell batteries don't come with a metal jacket, just plastic. I have the plastic jacketed PC680 in my '02 RT, no issues.

The metal jacket version is for bikes where the battery is exposed. I like the PC680, so what if it is a bit smaller, it fits just fine and works well.

Put a pc680 in my 1100gs, and it was loose. Ordered a new battery strap for 11.00 bucks and fixed it right up.

Just Jell'n :)

I just received and installed the PC680. I made good use of some jell shoe inserts. I know a person can find other thing to do this but the insert can be trimmed doawn on the bottom and keeps the battery jell'n. The top side I just used where needed to fill gaps.

I installed a PC680 in the spring of 2007 and have had no problems. I regularly run heated gear and accessories; so far I am very pleased with the batteryÔÇÖs performance.

Adhesive black foam rubber roll strips that come in varying thicknesses/widths like 3/16" x 1 1/2 are what I have in the shop and are great for making a battery fit and there are many other uses. :thumb

Odysseys have that problem of not fitting exactly. This does not only apply to BMWs.That's why I have switched to WESTCO. Perfect fit AND slightly better performance per application. Best example is my KZ1300. Notoriously bad cold starter with 6 cylinders and poor carburetion. Even the Odyssey gave in ever so often. The Westco keeps spinning it until it fires every time.

:thumb Another happy Westco battery user here. Fits right in, the wiring works and the battery works well and lasts a long time.

Back