• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Arctic Circle Independence Day

flash412

Loose Cannon
Here's where I was on Sunday...
CG_AC.JPG

Here's a shot I took on my way to breakfast yesterday morning....
PortageBay.jpg

(More later.)

Between Yukon Crossing and the Arctic Circle:
Mud.JPG

Back at Yukon Crossing:
YukXing.JPG

A trucker with an airhose and some water in a spray bottle helped me get the radiator unclogged once the mud started to bake (and the temperature light came on):
Trucker.JPG

You pack nice and light, don't you?
For this trip, yes. I normally carry all sorts of crap in my 150 liters of storage space. But this trip, I had to fit everything in a duffle bag (including riding gear) and a rolling back-pack in order to get it all on the airplane.

The trip to the Arctic Circle was "just a day trip" out of Fairbanks, ~400 miles round trip. The pack carried some clothing, a few tools, fire and some food and water. There's o need to carry a flashlight or (Cyalume) highway flares up there at this time of year.

Outstanding, flash. Absolutely outstanding. That photo of the water is beautiful.

More Photos

This is near the Exit Glacier National Park (in the background) near Seward, AK.
Exit66b.JPG

This is on the Glenn Highway, not very far east of Palmer, AK.
Glenn71b.JPG

Flash, you rock. Those are some great shots, and a good story to go with them. Keep 'em coming.

Thank you for bringing back memories!

That's it. I am going to quit my business and start touring instead. I simply can't think of anything more productive!

Ian

ps => you couldn't check saddlebags as luggage? I've done that before. A bit tough on the system cases, but WTF... it's a dirt bike, eh? :p

Re: Thank you for bringing back memories!

you couldn't check saddlebags as luggage? I've done that before. A bit tough on the system cases, but WTF.
If I had known that the bike was set up for Givis, I MIGHT have brought my own. The only thing is that Givis LOCK and that gives the TSA just the excuse they need to destroy the locks on the bags. Arriving at a destination to find my luggage open and the locks not only unable to keep it closed, but unable to keep it attached to the bike is NOT my idea of a Good Thing.

My next purchase will be a set of Pelican cases. I can put those on an airplane with TSA-approved combination locks and not worry about the Thousands Standing Around destroying them. Pelican cases have a lifetime replacement guarantee against ANYTHING that happens to them (except for damage due to sharks, bears and children under five).

Flash, I check a tool box that is locked regularly. They will search it and tape it after it is locked. You can't carry it on, but what the hey, you get the bags to where you are going and the locks are fine. Just have it inspected at the frigging xray machine right at the check in, after you check in.

Back