• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flippin' Illinois

F

falconfire

At the risk of repeating myself...
Why do I live in Illinois, why, why, why???
Is it spring yet?
:hide

At the risk of repeating myself...
Why do I live in Illinois, why, why, why???
Is it spring yet?
:hide

I will seond that, when my wife retires I hope we can afford a small place for the winter in Texas or Florida.

The plus side of Illinois is that the summers are OK. When I visit my daugher in Texas in the summer it is unbearable.

At least they sell beer on Sundays in Illinois:) I have been known to make a run to Danville once in a while.....
Jay

My wife said that we could move to CA, WA or OR under 1 condition: I would have to sell my bikes. F$ck NO! Terrible flat roads on a bike are still far beter then awesome roads in a car.

Signing in.

Winter stinks for bikers. OK for ice fishing and snowmobiling.

Where was I? Oh, yes - signing in for the Chicago Riders.

Why would you want to live anywhere else? Illinois the home of dirty politics at its best! Gotta love the gov!

My plan is to retire with two small houses. Think 1000-1500 with a similar sized garage.

One in TX hill country, one in the north that is around some river or lake and has great roads. I hate humidity & I want the summer evenings to be cool. (perhaps WV)

I do not want a trendy place to retire. I do not want to fight traffic of any kind on a daily basis.

I would like to be two hours maximum from a large city so I can go for a few weekends a year to events and such.

I would like to be a maximum of 20 hours driving time between the two places.

The plan is to live in the north from May until Oct and in TX the rest of the time.

There is no way I would ever retire to FL. Too may people, too many tourists, too expensive, The roads are too straight/flat & the weather is just as unbearable in the summer as the winters are in the north.

I will welcome you to Texas, where you can ride all year long.

A little too hot in the summer for me down there.

I lived in the Dallas area for 5 years. Loved TX, but not Dallas so much. (no offense to anyone) Dallas just seemed like it was at least 100 miles from any good motorcycle roads. Also everyone in Dallas seemed to be from someplace else.

If my work would have been in the San Antonio or Austin area I would have never moved away.

What a great state, I loved the scenery and the people were amazing. TX is a certainty. I will live there again someday!

Moved to Colorado a bit over 20 years ago now. One of the benefits in my mind was the more extended riding season. I've never put a bike away for the winter here, I ride just about all year. We do get snow and winter here but a day or so after bad weather it's sunny and in the 50's and 60's.
Oh and I moved here from Chicago, where I was born and raised. Used to have to quit riding there in October and not be able to ride again until March, if it was a warm spring.
When I retire I will stay out this way but maybe move to a smaller town I don't like living in cities but thats where the work is....:violin

Moved to Colorado a bit over 20 years ago now. One of the benefits in my mind was the more extended riding season. I've never put a bike away for the winter here, I ride just about all year. We do get snow and winter here but a day or so after bad weather it's sunny and in the 50's and 60's.
Oh and I moved here from Chicago, where I was born and raised. Used to have to quit riding there in October and not be able to ride again until March, if it was a warm spring.
When I retire I will stay out this way but maybe move to a smaller town I don't like living in cities but thats where the work is....:violin

Do we have a smiley for "Damn, I'm jealous"??? :dunno

Any tips for a Missourian on good Illinois roads?

I've ridden the "Great River Road," but that's it for my Illinois experience.

Not too familiar with southern Illinois. Wouldn't hold out much hope for "good" roads for riding in Illinois. Land of 318 miles with 1 curve!!!

Why would you want to live anywhere else? Illinois the home of dirty politics at its best! Gotta love the gov!

Yeah, second only to Louisiana for corrupt government. Then again, maybe I'm being too harsh on LA. :usa

Any tips for a Missourian on good Illinois roads?

I've ridden the "Great River Road," but that's it for my Illinois experience.
Coming from Missouri? Dude, you have done Illinois. There's a reason we call them "Flatlanders" up here ... :whistle

If the roads in Illinois where as crooked as our politicians they would make the "Dragon" seem like childs play...

Back