• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Welcome to Kansas

Flint hills trail

Today while in town (Garnett) Dena heard about a trail to ride somewhere in the Flint Hills. It seems as though this trail is through the hills rather than on roads. Sounds like somthing we would really like to do. Does any one know of a trail or ride like this ? Don't know if it is a private trail ,sponsered or organized ride.
Larry

Larry, I'm pretty knew to this off-pavement riding scene, but I'm not aware of any designated "trail" in my part of the Flint Hills (Chase County). However, the Backroads Touring Kansas website, has information about routes.

BTW, are any of you going to the Backroads Touring "Flint Hills Stampede" in Council Grove in June?

Tom

Back roads touring

MARS;
Never heard of the back roads touring "Flint Hills Stampede." Tell me more about it.
By the way how is the tranny repair on your GS coming along.
Larry

Larry, http://www.backroadstouring.org will get you to their website, but basically it is a group of off pavement riders that promotes sensible back roads riding. The "Stampede" is their rally. The website has routes, pics, and ride reports. Signup is free. I haven't spent much time on the site mainly because on dialup the pics take forever and I haven't had a backroads bike, until now, but it looked pretty good.

The GSPD is still awaiting parts. The tranny is in Virginia and the driveshaft is in California. Looks like it will be three or four weeks before everything gets back. Meanwhile, I've replaced the rear seal and oil pump O-ring and balanced the clutch assembly. When it gets warmer, I'll put the flywheel/clutch back in place. Engles has been great to deal with for the small parts like clutch, etc. They even sent me a kick stand pad and motorcycle shaped key ring.:thumb The "gifts" took some of the sting out of spending $350 and getting a box that was so small.:)

Tom

I just found the Backroads touring web site this winter and may try to make some of the rides. I will be headed to Alaska the first of June so will miss the stampede. I ride many of the backroads in the flint hills and really enjoy the scenery. Two years ago I traveled to all the counties in Kansas and took a picture of the Courthouse. Kansas is quite diverse in landscape and culture.

Alvin, anytime you're in the Elmdale area, feel free to stop in.:thumb Hopefully, a trip to Alaska is in my future, too.

I was just reading the March "Airmail". Jeff Ecker, over in Canton, is having a "tech day" the weekend of the 13th. I should have the PD's transmission back by then. Jeff's a good guy.

Tom

I will be in St Louis on the 13th. I was through Elmdale last year on my way to Cottonwood. Maybe we will meet up sometime.

I will be in residence at the Lake next week (of the 23rd) Bobby D's BBQ on 4 at Lake Wabaunsee is a great destination on a great road. Hopefully will see some riders there.

Rode down to Elmdae for the Mushrush sale and stopped by the school house but missed Tom. When are you generally around?

Rode down to Elmdae for the Mushrush sale and stopped by the school house but missed Tom. When are you generally around?

Hi, Jim. Sorry I missed you. I saw all the pickups and trailers out at Mushrush's but didn't stop. There's enough BS in my life as it is.;)

"Usually" I'm out here in the middle of nowhere (38 24.333/96 43.444), but on occasion, I get out and about. Look for a white Jeep with a winch and hard top or a white/red '93 GSPD. Or, you can ride out Middle Creek Rd until your GPS tells you you're here.

FWIW, the Kansas Riders from ADV are planning a get together out here the first weekend of May. Of course, everyone is invited. We've had 10-20 riders come to our previous lunches/camp outs, but I never know how many will show up. Generally, some come out on Friday night and camp 'til Sunday. Then ride to Cassoday and home. Let me know if ya'll want to join in.

Tom

Rode K-140 from Ellsworth to Brookeville. this is a spectacular rides. great curves and great scenery. Another hidden Kansas ride.

I agree that Kansas is a good ride. A few times each year I ride to the Garden City, KS area to stay overnight for a short weekend. From Oklahoma City-Edmond, this is about a 360 mile ride - one way.

Just 2 weeks ago I took a weekend ride to Bushton, KS (North Central) and on the way ran into some delightful experiences in Arlington, KS - German food + an old car show. Rained most of the way, turned around in Bushton and back through Lyons and Little River (visited great-great-great grandparents grave sites on father's side) on my way to overnight stay in Hutchinson. Next day to Halstead and on to Furly, KS (found great-great-great grandparents grave sites on mother's side), back via Wichita and I-35 south.

I am a solo rider and I truly enjoy the solitude of the sparcely populated areas along with the quiet scenery. This area of Kansas is a good place if you enjoy this type of time alone.

Flint Hills 5/17

What a great day to be in Kansas! Road around out in SE Chase County and enjoyed the perfect weather. Crossed paths with my SO who was out mapping for the Census, so I had her take a picture.

Attachments

• Me and bike.JPG
    Me and bike.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 141
Guess Ill see me there!!!

Man, I wish that I could join you. Since I sold the old school with the provision that I would help get it fixed up, I have been working my butt off. This past week, we have been working on the roof. It has been really warm up there. Looks like the only riding I'll get to do this weekend is the lawn mower.:banghead

Tom

Man, I wish that I could join you. Since I sold the old school with the provision that I would help get it fixed up, I have been working my butt off. This past week, we have been working on the roof. It has been really warm up there. Looks like the only riding I'll get to do this weekend is the lawn mower.:banghead

Tom

Had a great time! Nice rally with great food and folks. Very humid Saturday so we opted for a cheep motel with air. But a nice ride home Sunday. Road down with Walt Hoffman 78 yrs young rides a 1200Rt like a 25 yr old an inspiration to all.

Saturdays ride took us to Bentonville Ark. BMW for a cookout. Wow what roads! I was happy to hit a strait stretch and relax for a moment! For you GS folks there was a GS route that meet up with the road guys at Roaring River Park and all went to Bentonville together from there.:thumb

Ready for next year R.

Had a great time! Nice rally with great food and folks. Very humid Saturday so we opted for a cheep motel with air. But a nice ride home Sunday. Road down with Walt Hoffman 78 yrs young rides a 1200Rt like a 25 yr old an inspiration to all.

Saturdays ride took us to Bentonville Ark. BMW for a cookout. Wow what roads! I was happy to hit a strait stretch and relax for a moment! For you GS folks there was a GS route that meet up with the road guys at Roaring River Park and all went to Bentonville together from there.:thumb

Ready for next year R.

Rub it in, why don't ya!;)

Tom

Cassoday

Ok this Sunday 8-2-09 going to Cassoday leaving Topeka at 7:00 am south Turnpike gate. pay toll meeting just past gate.
:clap
anybody want to go! or meet down there!:brad

I had intentions of riding this weekend, but two things happened this week to change the plan: Engles sent me the wrong parts for the bike and I was hit in the face by a falling pipe clamp. While I could jury-rig the broken blinker, the stitches and broken nose prevent me from wearing a helmet. I'm out.

Tom

Back