• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I've searched and searched....

E

emperkin

Can someone point me where to find the stronger windshield brackets for the 1200 RT? I can't seam to find it, I know it has been referenced in this forum.

The stock ones broke. I replaced it with another stock one and put the stock windshield back on, but I really miss my cee bailey's.

Thanks in advance

RT Windshield Brackets

emperkin, I second the recommendation by heavyjetpfe
I bought a set of the brackets shown in the link. Mine were powder coated black I believe. They work great and are easy to install.

Here is the contact info.

Don Westra
West Tool & Design inc.
1220 North Tower Road
Fergus Falls, MN 56537
218-739-4990
Don@westtoolff.com
www.westtoolff.com

I wouldn't call it difficult. You have to take out some screws that hold the dashboard on. This allows you enough room to get the old bracket out.

The only problem I ran into was the pin was a very tight fit on one of the new brackets. Found it difficult to get the pin in even with it out of the bike.

To replace the broken one in my case.

I dropped the bike against the wall and broke one of the brackets:cry . It is an 1100 RT and I need to check if that outfit makes them for me.

Yes an aftermarket windshield (Like my Cee Baily's) can put too much pressure on the arms and they will break.

Yes an aftermarket windshield (Like my Cee Baily's) can put too much pressure on the arms and they will break.

YUP. Happened to me, with my big ass Cee Bailey.

For many of us, due to our size, egonomics or just a desire for better/different wind protection, the OEM shield on the R1200RT is inadequate.

Hence the replacements, and the need to deal with greater aerodynamic pressures.

To be fair, though, I was cautioned by several R1200RT owners that their supports were snapping (usually when retracting the windshield) on the OEM screens, due to the arms being made of 'pig metal.' Interestingly, this almost never happened until the bike was in service for at least two years. Obviously, repetitions may be a factor in the fatigue of this part.

Sure enough, when I examined my broken support arm, it was forged with 'slag' (pig metal), and had numerous air pockets, which compromise structural integrity and give it all the tensile strength of a Rice Krispy bar.

Good Luck with the better arms from Westra Tools!

I have a pair on and they appear bulletproof.

Last edited:
Back