• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Last ride of the year?

Charlie_K

Registered Muser
I took what will probably be my last ride of 2008 today. There's snow forecast for tonight and once they start salting the roads my RT is in the garage until a good rain washes it away.
This was my coldest ever ride on a street bike; 30 degrees F when I dodged the frozen puddles in the yard and headed out. The RT's heated seat and grips kept me warm and comfortable except for my fingers. After a while I discovered that if I dropped down a gear the extra RPMs on the alternator made the grips and seat warmer; running at 60 mph in 5th I had to put the seat heat on low.
I cruised for an hour or so, made a pit stop for coffee, then came home. The bike's in the garage but the battery is still in it in case the riding season isn't really over.

Leave the battery in. You never know when you might get a chance to ride this winter and you'll be kicking yourself if the bike isn't ready when the weather is. :D

First snow of the year here in Rhode Island also. Weatherman is calling for heavy rain middle of next week so the there still may be hope for a ride or two this year. I leave the battery in all year with a battery tender on for the winter months.

I looked at the battery on my K for about 28 seconds before deciding to buy a battery tender. It'll be the first year that I dont take my battery out. What that means is that it will take me about 2 minutes to remove the cover and take the charger leads off sometime in January if the weather somehow turns. It wasn't 2 years ago when, in the week between Christmas and New Years, the temp approached 70 for at least 2 days. If that by chance happens again, I'm going to be ready.

Gee, it was in the mid 60s today with some high clouds. I went for a ride on the R52 up in the hills, that's always an adventure. :)

I have a friend, born in New England but now residing in Seattle. His motto is "you don't have to shovel rain". However, he is going to be riding down here next month anyway. Then we're both going to Mexico.

Leave the battery in. You never know when you might get a chance to ride this winter and you'll be kicking yourself if the bike isn't ready when the weather is. :D
I agree. Although I just conditioned my fuel for the inevitable busy-spate that may prevent me from riding too often, I intend to get out on the bike and tool around the city so long as there's no ice or slush on the ground.

I've gotten in the practice of filling the tank at the end of my ride, so the tank stays full when not in use. The garage stays around 45, even when below freezing, and I could always add some heat if it seemed needed. I also got Tender that I swap from bike to bike (too cheap to get 3-4 of them) Right now I have my son's wrecked Suzuki and father-in-law's Yamaha scooter in storage as well as my 2 BMW's, so the charger is in constant rotation. Sounds dumb, but it gives me a reason to be out with the bikes, even though I'm not working on them or riding............

I took what will probably be my last ride of 2008 today. There's snow forecast for tonight and once they start salting the roads my RT is in the garage until a good rain washes it away.
This was my coldest ever ride on a street bike; 30 degrees F when I dodged the frozen puddles in the yard and headed out. The RT's heated seat and grips kept me warm and comfortable except for my fingers. After a while I discovered that if I dropped down a gear the extra RPMs on the alternator made the grips and seat warmer; running at 60 mph in 5th I had to put the seat heat on low.
I cruised for an hour or so, made a pit stop for coffee, then came home. The bike's in the garage but the battery is still in it in case the riding season isn't really over.

charlie,

way to stay optimistic - you never know you could get one of those weeks during winters where it warms up, the snow melts, it rains hard to wash the sand off the road, then on a saturday it's warm (well, warm enough) and dry and you can get the bike out.

you'll get another ride before "riding season" starts up again. i can feel it.

Fall in Colorado

Today could have been the last ride this year, but who knows when you live in Colorado. Thursday we had 9 inches of snow at the house and much more just north of us. Today it was around 60 degrees, even up in the mountains. We left Colorado Springs at 1030 and headed up to Bailey, CO. for some great New Orleans style food - yep, you read that right - Platte Canyon Grille. The best Cajun food I have found in Colorado. Since it is best to begin fall rides after the sun warms up and get back before the sun sets (it gets cold quick), the 200 mile trip is a perfect day trip and the food is great. Depending what the weather does, this may be the last ride this year but I always do my best to take advantage of the rapidly changing weather and ride when I can. Enjoy the ride, and sometimes enjoy the destination. :thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0003_1.JPG
    IMG_0003_1.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 111
not done yet

I leave my battery tender hooked right to the battery. Back the bike in so I don't have to turn around. Been lucky since I've had this bike. Fro the past three years I've been able to ride every winter holiday, Thanksgiving, Xmas, new years. My girl and I have rode downtown Detroit on New years to feed the homeless. usually get at least a couple rides a month in. Nothing like a brisk twenty degree wind to make you feel alive.

I hate winter

You think your cryin the blues we just bought a new to us 2000 R1100RT I put 50 miles on it in mid 30s Saturday today its snowin and blowin. :mad goin out to the garage to sit on it.

The BODZ microfiber underwear, Dragin Jeans, wool socks, balaclava, Olympia jacket, gauntlet gloves with wool inserts, boots, and modular helmet allow me to ride in the 30deg weather that is not usual for N FL at this time of year. If it gets colder or I'm on a longer ride velcro knee stabilizers keep my arthritic knees warm. I enjoy riding in brisk/cool weather more than in the summer heat. Bike week is not far off and later the Annual Rally. Ride Safe :usa

Back