• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tire inflators

B

Bubbaslye

Has anyone ever used an inflator like the one described
here?

http://www.rei.com/product/696553

It is marketed to bicyclists, but to my less than expert
eye, it would seem to work as well on motorcycle tires.

What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes.

I first got one as a gift and started carrying it on my trail bike. My son got a flat
(he always does) and we used it. Once you run out of CO2, the handle extends one length and you can use it as a hand pump. That said, it's not a big pump, so for anything larger than a bicycle I'd carry more cartridges.
We liked it a lot and eventually started carrying them in each of our street bikes and trail bikes. We used one again on my wife's R65, we were on the narrow shoulder of a mountain road, no place to start trying to repair a tube. Three or four minutes, a small bottle of slime, and three cartridges later and she was on her way home, where we could safely replace the innertube.
For a large modern rear tire, figure five or six cartridges if you don't want to pump your arm off. I buy Moose brand cartridges for reinflating tires, they're charged a lot more than those cheap ones for air guns and the like.
So I like it. It's about the fastest way to inflate a tire, which in some situations can be important to your safety.

RE: tire inflation

Where do you typically get the Moose CO2 cartridges? Not to change the thread, but I bought a 12v mini compressor and I "practiced" with it in the shop and it took- the 5 min the mfg says to not go past- to get to 25# on my 1150 rear from zero. Rethinking the gas option. I've read many of the "which compressor is best threads", but like the idea of small.

For a large modern rear tire, figure five or six cartridges if you don't want to pump your arm off.

I've never been a fan of C02 cartridge systems for just that reason - the room required for enough cartridges would let you carry something like the Slime air compressor (http://www.slime.com/product_111_Power_Sport_Tire_Inflator_(40001).html). With a compressor, you can have a second chance at filling a patched tire if the first attempt at the patch didn't work, and you can air your tires when on a trip.

Attachments

• Slime pump.jpg
    Slime pump.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 719
That looks like a pretty slick little unit. Have you used it on the road yet?

I've never been a fan of C02 cartridge systems for just that reason - the room required for enough cartridges would let you carry something like the Slime air compressor (http://www.slime.com/product_111_Power_Sport_Tire_Inflator_(40001).html). With a compressor, you can have a second chance at filling a patched tire if the first attempt at the patch didn't work, and you can air your tires when on a trip.

I also chose a mini compressor. It will fill tires as well as a small air matress (if you want to wait). I added a Powerlet adapter to plug right into the bike 12 v outlet. Works great, not as fast as a gas station pump, but better than pushing the bike..............:thumb

Wally World sells for about $15.00 a mini pump which isn't mini until you take it out of its plastic housing. Then you have a pump and gauge that looks like the ones you see advertised for motorcycles for about $45.00.
I carry mine in an old tube sock in the space behind the seat on my '04 RT.
It will fill the tire in about 3 or 4 mins.
However, at the altitude in Paonia, it takes about 6+ mins.
The piston is drawing in about 43 molecules of air at each stroke.:snore

I use a similar product, I'll post a picture. I like it because it takes up little space. I carry 4 big cartidges (25 grams each) and that is enough to fill a rear tire to about 30-35 psi. That's not 'full', but it's enough to get to a gas station to top it off.

The criticism that it takes up more space than a pump I don't agree with. You can see my kit in the picture. It is the tire plugging kit and the cartridges and pump head---and it all fits under the rear seat in the hidden pocket of the RT. Out of sight, out of mind.

I know a lot of guys who carry lots of tools and parts, etc. I don't. I carry a basic repair kit, quite small. My thought is that I ride street. Even if I make a bad plug repair and have to redo it, I will get enough air with 2 cartridges even to slowly ride to a gas station. Same with my repair kit. If I can't fix something, a waving hand to a passing car or my cell phone will get me through the issue.

The exception to me is serious off roading in desolate areas. If I were making the big trip through Alaska on a GS, I'd carry more, and I'd carry a pump. I'd also carry a spare tire and tire irons, etc. On the street, for me, that kind of thing is overkill.

One suggestion. Next time you are ready to replace a tire, drill a hole in it and practice plugging and filling it. I learned a lot and I would not have wanted to do this for the first time on the side of the road.

Robo

IMAGE: I forgot, you have to link to images here and that's too much work. The entire kit is about 3x5 inches and maybe 1 inch thick. Light and small.

I have used the Slime compressor, worked great. I got it on sale at Autozone earlier this year. Fits upright in the tail of an RT. The brass screw-on fitting gets REALLY HOT. As in burn the skin off hot. Just like the little label I didn't read says.

I bet if you disassemble the Slime compressor you'll find the same innards as the WalMart pumps. I've seen instructions online (can't find them right now) on how to dispose of the bulky plastic housing from the Walmart cheapo compressor.

EDIT: here, I found the directions: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/air-pump/

Last edited:

Slime compressors are on sale now, for $9.99, at the parts chain MURRAY'S DISCOUNT AUTO. They are very prominent here in the Chicago area. Bought 2 of them as I already have the same model bought last year. They work quite nicely and beat the you know what, out of cartridges. Buy one for you and one for your hard headed friend. I did!

I'm a flexible guy; my mind can be changed. After viewing the instructions on stripping down a pump into a small assy that will fit in the rear compartment of the RT, I must say I think I'll give it a try. Being able to pump up your tires on a trip w/o hitting a station is attractive. I'll have to give this some thought!

--EDIT-- Wow, $10!! I just ordered the slime compressor. Shipping was $9! But heck, at that total cost, I'm not going to go hunting.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Co2

I carried a pump for a while and have been using a CO2 tool like the one you pictured for years. CO2 cartridges are $12 @ Wallyworld for 25. I find it faster and less fuss.:bikes

I carry about a dozen usually and inflate my tires every day as I tour.

I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

ppumpb.jpg

I have used these on my Mtn bicycles...they do work and definitely will improve heart function...especially at altitude...find one that pumps on both strokes! I carry one ,but still have the cyclepro? pump that was given to me by the GS owner who traded me for the HD...

Yes, and it works really well. I've only had one flat myself, and have helped another guy with his flat, but being able to correct my tire pressure right at the camp or outside the motel door with truly cold tires is pretty sweet.

I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

ppumpb.jpg

The Innovations pump that started this thread works as a hand pump too.
I agree, a true pump is least likely to let you down, but it's nice to have the cartridges along to expedite things if you're dealing with a large tire, or in an unsafe spot and need to get moving again quickly.
The 12v pumps might suit some folks, but not me. For one thing, you can only use them with a bike that provides the power. Bicycles, and most trail or MX bikes don't give you that option. They're also slow, and if it just doesn't work, then what? CO2 also gives a quick burst that might help re-seat a tire bead.
One or two of these hand or CO2 pumps can take care of your whole fleet, as long as you remember to bring it along.
The other handy option for non-fuel injected bikes is called a "chuffer". These are great for airheads and other bikes where it's easy to remove a spark plug. It's a pneumatic fitting that screws into the cylinder head, and an airhose just long enough to reach the tire. Turn off your fuel, and crank or kick your engine over and you have one big air pump.

After trying to inflate a tire with a hand pump in 100 degree unrelenting sun, I bought the cheapest 12v pump I could find, removed everything I didn't need (like the case), wired on a BMW plug, and have carried it since. Works great.

433493852_7hjJy-L.jpg

So far I've never had to pump up a tire when I had a dead battery.

Back