• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need dual sport boots for BIG calves. The Infinity didn't cut it...

mistercindy

After a month of reading, researching, and looking, I had decided on a pair of TCX Infinity boots. My dealership ordered a pair. I tried them on today fully expecting to ride home with them. At first glance the Infinity is unquestionably a superbly made boot. Its very substantial. Way more substantial than my four year old BMW Contour boots. The buckles were a PITA, but I figured I'd get used to them. Size 45 was perfect. They were very comfortable around the feet and I could tell from the quality leather that they'd break in beautifully.

But then....

I couldn't get more than a quarter inch of top velcro to stick. The Infinity is a tall boot: maybe 14", and the top fits over the biggest part of the calf. My calves are a whopping 19" and the Infinity barely closes over the top. There is no way I could tuck a pair of motorcycle pants into them and expect to close them. I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed as I otherwise love the boots.

So, anybody have suggestions? Tall enduro/touring boots with big calves?

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat (boot?)...
I have thick ankles and generous calves, it took me forever to find well-fitting
boots for my needs.

I don't have any help to offer on DS boots, but I'm sure hanging here with you in solidarity
waiting to see any answers... :ear

I talked on the phone today, at length, with the folks at Helimot regarding Daytona boots. Their big enduro boot is the Trans Open GTX. The guy on the phone said it may be a problem with 19" calves, but he wasn't sure. However, he said they had customers with their Road Star GTXs that had 21" calves. TAt 29cm (11.5") the Road Star GTX isn't as tall as the Trans Open (37cm or 14.5"), but its apparently a heckuva sturdy boot. I may order a pair just to look them over, and, if they are sturdy enough and fit well I just may buy it.

I'll let you know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat (boot?)...
I have thick ankles and generous calves, it took me forever to find well-fitting
boots for my needs.

I don't have any help to offer on DS boots, but I'm sure hanging here with you in solidarity
waiting to see any answers... :ear
So what boots do you wear? I assume you're wearing regular touring boots that are no more than 12" or so tall. I've found that height boot that also fits my calf to be fairly easy to find. The reason is the height of the boot is a couple of inches below the widest part of the calf. Its just hard to find that height boot with the more substantial armor around the ankle and stiff enough sole, yet still be a leather touring boot. That's what makes the Infinity and the BMW Santiago so perfect.

Actually, the Rev'it Apache may also fit the bill. But they're so new and so difficult to find that I'm a bit hesitant to fork over the $330 asking price without walking around in them first. Helimot's Daytona has a long history, and an even longer one in Europe so I'm a bit more comfortable ordering them on line.

Contact Aerostich and inquire about their combat touring boots. I have a pair and I think it may fit your needs.
max

I'm in the same boat, Euro 44 with a 19-20 inch calf.

You might also look into the Gaerne "oiled" boot. Leather and designed as a trials boot so you can actually walk around in the boot but enduro/rally protection. The "oiled" model is waterproof although some of the other similar models are not.

I compete in trials and have used the Gaernes for years. I've had the bike come down on my leg with the boots on as well as plenty of walking over tough sections all day long, including wading in creeks, with zero complaints, plus I can tuck in my riiding pants as well as shin guards with no problems.

Several of the big suppliers carry them but I have always found the cheapest price at Ryan Young Products (rypusa.com)

You might also look into the Gaerne "oiled" boot. Leather and designed as a trials boot so you can actually walk around in the boot but enduro/rally protection.

They don't fit my legs. Aerostich is no better.

I talked on the phone today, at length, with the folks at Helimot regarding Daytona boots....
So what boots do you wear? I assume you're wearing regular touring boots that are no more than 12" or so tall. I've found that height boot that also fits my calf to be fairly easy to find. The reason is the height of the boot is a couple of inches below the widest part of the calf. Its just hard to find that height boot with the more substantial armor around the ankle and stiff enough sole, yet still be a leather touring boot. That's what makes the Infinity and the BMW Santiago so perfect.

Actually, the Rev'it Apache may also fit the bill. But they're so new and so difficult to find that I'm a bit hesitant to fork over the $330 asking price without walking around in them first. Helimot's Daytona has a long history, and an even longer one in Europe so I'm a bit more comfortable ordering them on line.

I wear the GoreTex DAytona RoadStars, worth every penny and infinitely adjustible with all the
velcro and zippers! http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html

Last edited:
Combat's here:)

My Combat Boots by Sidi and Aerostitch of Diluth are what I wear. I got the 11", for the reason of large calf issues and they work for me. The 14" taller ones are not known to me, as I have never tried them. I know the Combats are very tough, thick leather and will give great protection and watertight, too. They are not advertised as waterproof, but ARE:). Not good walking boots, however and this is the tradeoff for all the protection they give riding..... R1200GSA and off road a lot:). Randy

Best boots on the market!!!!!

SIDI - On-Road Gore-Tex.................Only boot that can be truthfully advertised as WATERPROOF. The sizes are right on (at least in my case) and the calf area has plenty of room with adjustable super duty velcro straps.

I wear the GoreTex DAytona RoadStars, worth every penny and infinitely adjustible with all the
velcro and zippers! http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html

Great boot. Also available in narrow widths for us pencil foot and ankle types. They can be re-soled, too. I now have a second pair.... couldn't stand to be without them when the first pair needed new soles and Helimot didn't have my size in stock... in Aug just as all of Germany goes on vacation. :D

// marc

Back